View Single Post
Old 10-07-09, 12:11 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Loyal
I'm gonna be staying off the roads and stick to the trails and ponds. I barely trust drivers around here during the summer. :-)

I picked up the bike from my co-worker and it is a CCM Pursuit that sat in his garage for about 6 years. The little knobbies were still on the tires from lack of use. He would not take any $$ for it so i bought him a weeks worth of coffees.

The tires, while in good shape, did not have a large enough lug to hold a screw so I started looking for cheap or used tires with a large lug. After pricing a few I decided to call a friend of mine who is really into mountain biking to see if he had any used ones kicking around. When I mentioned what I was doing he said "stop right there, I have just the thing for you . . . two studded Innova tires with the repair kit." I was rather excited . . . but when he said I could have them for free . . . I swear he could see the grin on my face over the phone.

So far this is what I have:
Department store bike = FREE
Innova studded tires = FREE

I just need some fenders, lighting and some prep work to help slow the cables from freezing.

I will post pics later
That's pretty cool.

I would say, though, that if you change your mind and do much street riding, you should *really* replace the studded tires with the quality ones (Nokian, Schwalbe) with carbide studs. If you do much research here, there's post after post after post from people who had the cheap Innova tires with steel studs, then after less than a year of riding wiped out and realized the studs had completely worn down to the tire.

On the tires with carbide studs the tires itself will wear out before the studs do.

The free Innova studded sound perfect for what you're talking about - cheap studded tires for offroad (and ice) riding. The steel studs won't wear nearly as quickly if they're not subjected to riding on pavement. Sounds good - as long as there's no or very very little road use.