Old 10-08-09, 12:43 PM
chriskitch

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik, Custom Cannondale CAAD8 road, 1994 Rocky Mountain Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding with a red Knog Beetle in back for the last year or so and it's been fine...never had any issues with waterproofness...wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone...

Unfortunately, I haven't found a front light that is durable as well as being bright enough at a price I'm willing to pay (a hundred bucks or less)...

I tried a 1watt Planet Bike Blaze that lasted about four months til the plastic slot where the bracket attaches cracked...

Then I tried a 1watt Cannondale light with an alloy casing that had issues with unsolicited shutting off right from my initial purchase and ended up getting returned...

I bought a Blackburn Voyager 4.0 light with a 1watt luxeon bulb and I thought I'd finally found my new light...It was brighter than any other LED headlight I'd ever used, even on the 50% setting...Sadly, like the Planet Bike light, the plastic cracked in the slot where the bracket attached...When I got my warranty replacement, the actual bracket cracked...After checking out some online reviews, I found out that these problems are common with the Voyager 4.0 which is probably why Blackburn is discontinuing it for 2010...

At some point during warranty returns on the Blackburn light, I picked up a white LED Knog Skink to use as a "being seen" light...It's not bright enough to illuminate country roads in pitch black but it's been pretty reliable as a backup light...

After all of my problems with front lights, I thought about which brand of light had given me the most trouble-free use over the years and the answer was BLT...Easily, the longest lasting headlights I had ever used were made by BLT so I figured, why not go with one of their better lights...I chose the Triton t4 because of it's cast alloy construction and the fact that it's 4watt LED bulb was supposed to be as bright as a 21watt halogen...It's not...It's not even as bright as any of the 1watt LEDs I had tried...It's barely brighter than the Knog Skink I'm using as a backup...

Any advice this forum has on a decent light that'll illuminate the road in pitch black conditions for under a hundred clams would be greatly appreciated...