Old 10-10-09, 03:04 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I wonder a little if the differences between a folding bike and a regular bike (the wheel is half as big, does this mean a fork mounted light is lower? does it mean the smaller wheel makes a bigger blind spot? does a smaller more responsive wheel mean that you have more of a chance to react to things closer to you, whereas the less responsive bigger wheel makes light closer to you less relevant?). I don't really know, in the end I would lean towards guessing that it's mostly a matter of preference.

While I certainly wouldn't mind if the Cyo put out a little more light closer to the big, my feeling on the subject is just different from yours. I wonder if you ride, on average, at slower speeds that I do? On my commuter bike, I typically ride between 15 and 20mph. You are technically correct about the whole "memorize the details from the illuminated far-away region and utilize that memory once the region enters the relative darkness" but for me that are it lights up is the range that I'm looking at anyways, and the time between seeing something and reaching it is about the same as the time it takes me to react to it. By the time something on the road enters that dark area, if I haven't already seen it and started reacting to it, it's at most difficult and most likely impossible for me to do anything to avoid it because my body and my bike simply don't react fast enough. Imagine your're coasting downhill at 20mph and something magically appears on the road 5 feet in front of you. At that speed, at that distance, I'm already screwed. It doesn't matter whether I see it or not, there isn't even time for my brain to process it, then get my body to move before I hit it.

So at the speeds I ride at, I feel like the regular Cyo pretty much lights up that area "that matters".

At the same time, the farther away I can see something the more time I have to react to it, so I find the reach of the light very imporant. Of course, the speed you're travelling at makes a huge difference in how far away that point is, as well as a few other "personal opinion" factors for how far away you like to be able to see. One problem I have with the Cyo is that it's difficult to get the angle just right where it's illuminating far enough ahead on the road for my taste, but isn't so high that the main part of the beam hits people in the face. I've found I *have* to have it mounted near the fork or it always ends up to high for people, but the right height for illluminating the road.

And as I believe I mentioned earlier, I own a Ixon IQ, which supposedly puts out 40 lux of light - just like the Cyo Nearfield. It's not that I think it doesn't reach far enough, but I do feel like when it reaches far enough, the light isn't quite hitting the road intensely enough to light it up enough for me. I've hit twigs and stuff that were large enough to feel though the tire, but I didn't even see because of the brightness of the light. Haven't had this happen with the Cyo all the time like it did with the 40 lux ixon iq.

I think both our opinions are interesting for other people trying to decide, based on their riding speed and personal preference for what kind of lighting they prefer. I just want to be clear I'm not trying to say you're "wrong" or something any more than I am, just that opinions vary.