Old 10-11-09, 04:00 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
One thing that will simplify it is to visit the bike store(s) in town and see what they carry. For example, Jamis was on the list of bikes I was looking at, I visited the nearest dealer here in the Dallas area, and they did not have a single Jamis bike in stock that I saw. So unless you want to order it sight unseen off the internet or visit Oklahoma City or Tulsa, you need to see what is available locally.

Something else I will point out is that most of the bikes I see on college campuses are crappy bikes that serious cyclists wouldn't ride. The theory is that they're less likely to be stolen, and less of a loss if they are stolen. So you can ask for advice here, but we'll all recommend $1,000 bikes that you won't see often on a campus. A bike may have marginal brakes and gears that don't work right and still be good for riding a mile or two to campus and back.

It seems to me that older bikes tend to be under-valued in Oklahoma as compared to the Dallas area, if that helps any. They're viewed more as "old bikes" rather than "vintage bikes".