Old 10-12-09, 08:55 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Saga of a 378LB Clyde, Knee Surgery, and More!

My name is Peter and it’s been 30 years since I have ridden a Bicycle.

Most would say that I started this journey the 19th of September 2009 at the weight of 378lbs when I created my first post on the “Clydesdales/Athenas” section of the BikeForums.

Allow me to back up a bit? I had the first of seven knee surgeries in 1979 (the last time I got on my Schwinn Le Tour 10 SP). It was then at age 17, 6’0” and 198lbs that I was riding around 150-200 miles weekly, did not own a car, had done 200 mile weekends, and was really getting into Touring. My Life changed with that first surgery.

Fast forward to September 2009 – Am 47yrs old, hit an all time high of 402lbs (back down to high 370s), and had seven knee surgeries to date. Let’s not forget that “osteoarthritis” (AKA “OA”) has also joined the game. Have Sleep Apnea, and am on a BI-PAP, see my heart DR every 2-3 months (with a heart DR you measure how good you are doing by how far apart your APPTs are) just had another “heart event” (that’s where you go to the hospital, but it’s not a heart attack, but it sure ain’t heartburn neither!) Am in Pain MGNT, taking 180mg morphine daily and my exercise level consists of the walking I do inside my house, at work (am a office worker), and playing with my four dogs. So call it basically not much.

During all of this, total knee replacement has been talked about, but they want me under 200lbs, and over 55yrs old. The surgeon that did surgery #7 is willing to do the replacement when ever I decide I am done with the pain or the pills – but, don’t forget, anywhere from 6-16 weeks off work (DR states). I suddenly learn that many TKR people focus on cycling during their rehab! And, upon asking questions, I am told that my DR requires 10 minutes on a stationary bike before I can leave the hospital! <GASP>!!!

Never mind for the moment how scary that sounds, I am thinking about a bicycle, AGAIN!!!

So, the bug is in my head, and I start reading, here, a few other places, even on Amazon (yup, they have forums too) – during this time the heart DR does a ‘Heart Cath’ on me, and while I didn’t exactly flunk it, I did get the green light for exercise, there is too much fluid around my heart caused by lack of exercise so he demands the TKR (Total Knee Replacement) be done as soon as it can be scheduled.

Fast forward to tonight.

I’ve decided to start a Journal of sorts here. I’ve made a number of posts between 09-19-09 and now 10-10-09 that basically will explain everything from mid September till now. I have listed them in order of when they were first posted below. Feel free to read them if you like, or not.

Am I dreaming, or, is this possible?

Any thoughts on the Electra "Townie"? Should I buy one?

Pedal-Forward Buying Choices, the Decision!

The Deed is done; My New Bicycle is Being Built Now!!

I've got the Bike, am losing weight, but now what?

I am doing this for a few reasons. I like to write, and it helps me to put the stuff in my head into perspective. Plus, possibly there are others that might possibly gain some insight from all of this, and/or from any replies that might be posted. Replies are welcome, or not. But I think that 30 years off a bike, being so over-weight, the heart issues, the smoking, and the soon to happen knee replacement, may lead to some interesting reading. Perhaps, or perhaps not.

A rather long first post, but I wished to explain what this is about, for those of you reading this for the first time. Email is welcome, but I suggest a PM to me first to add your email to my $PAM blocker, or I may miss you.

To the Moderators (Tom) – Please feel free to lock my other Threads if you wish?