Old 10-12-09, 10:48 PM
karjak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5kdad
I've biked some for the past 12 years or so, but really got into it this summer. Bought a good road bike (Felt Z-100), have ridden over 2,000 miles this year, including RAGBRAI.
The past couple months, I've developed some lower back pain. Doc says he thinks it's an L5 vertebrae. Not had an MRI to confirm.
I"ve always been intrigued by recumbents. Just wondering, is this the kind of problem that would be solved if I bought a recumbent? I've read where the average recumbent rider is over 50, overweight, and has a beard. That's me!
If I remember correctly it was L5 in lower back which caused me to go under the knife 20 years ago. Probably should get the MRI to confirm, especially if you have the shooting pains into hip, leg etc. By the time I had my surgery I had atrophy in muscles of my right leg. Your condition may differ.

I do ride a recumbent toay at age of 62 and can testify of it's comfort for me. Don't know if it would solve your problem but in general it is my belief it puts a lot less stress on the body.