View Single Post
Old 10-15-09, 06:11 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the responses! After a bit more research I think the bikes I'm looking at still include the Downtube 8H, plus the Dahon D3 and Giant Halfway.

The Giant Halfway is a bit pricier and has a derailleur system, which I'm not crazy about, but I like the design.

I'm more interested in the internal hubs, I've had some experience already with an SA XRF3, which I liked, but not with the XRF8. edit-looks like Dahon switched from SA to SRAM hub in '09

I'm not too worried about having to replace parts like saddles, pedals or brake pads, but would like to know that the rest of the bike is sturdy. Bottom brackets of course can be replaced, but stock bottom brackets should be sturdy enough to last awhile.

Also, I'm not too crazy about the suspension fork on the Downtube, after owning a few suspension fork hybrids I'm more interested in a traditional fork.

Finally, I'm about 6'1.5" tall, which appears to be near the upper height limit for both the Dahon and the Downtube.

Any tall riders want to comment on this aspect of these two bikes? Any additional comments regarding the 8H suspension fork or bottom bracket?

Thanks again!

Last edited by randya; 10-15-09 at 06:48 PM.