folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brommie
that's a wannehave!
Are there more books about Brompton bikes?
Or do we have to wait until next year?
It's in the Bag!
Tony Hadland and John Pinkerton

"....I don't have any interest in folding bicycles. I bought this because I've liked Tony Hadland's books so much. I'm glad I did buy it as I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's amazing how old the folding bicycle is. We associate them with small wheels but the first was an "Ordinary" (known to some as a "Penny Farthing"). The large wheel separated into quadrants and the whole thing went into a quadrant shaped bag - actually rather neat.

The one I liked the best is Le Petit-Bi. This 1937 bicycle looks amazingly current with small wheels and a very compact design. The front wheel is turned backwards, then the handlebars fold down and the saddle comes down to reduce overall size, however the frame doesn't fold. In one picture there is a rack on the rear so it can be stood on its end and put against a wall thus taking up very little floor space. I think if this bicycle were produced today there would be a market for it.

Innovation and ingenuity are the primary elements of this book. It works through many folding bikes some well known, such as the Bickerton and the Brompton, others less well known like, er, The Bootie.

All in all, a fun read....."

Plus a review from my own Website
http://sites.google.com/site/compactcycling/home:

"......Sidwells, Chris, Bike Repair Manual, DK Publishing Inc., New York City, NY c. 2004.

On pages 14-15, there is a description on the folder (In this case a Bromptom is used- but I could simply transfer and use the concepts over to my Dahon Boardwalk), a check-list of routine maintenance to be done on the bike, and the location of the repair/maintenance activity to be done elsewhere in the book. Each activity is then more clearly outlined and explained with both text and large color pictures of the job being performed. A glossary and index is also included in the back of the book. I borrowed one copy from the local library, but I recommend buying your own copy. The retail prices are for the US: $15.00, and for Canada: $20.00....."

Books on folding bikes specifically are few and far between. Do check your local public library for these books listed above (I bought my own "It's In The Bag" copy from a bicycle museum), plus other bike books that are out of print.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 10-16-09 at 10:36 AM.