View Single Post
Old 03-19-05, 09:17 AM
royalflash

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
I was riding down the street yesterday and encountered an interesting sub-species of motorist.

I've noticed them before, but I haven't really asked opinions of everyone here on their thoughts of these unusual types, so here goes.

Mostly, a large majority of drivers have been good to me. They overtake properly. There are those few yahoos that pass far too close and far too fast. There are probably just as many who give me way too much clearance. They're kind of odd to me, but at least they're not as bad as the too close overtakers.

This other type of overtaker is one who doesn't pass too fast (although they can be fast) or too close (although I have had more than a few pass too close) but is distinguished by the drivers looks of concern (portrayed by his repeated looking) for yours truly on my bike with repeated glances in the side view mirror and rear veiw mirror as they pass at me to see (I'm assuming) if they've run me over or knocked me down. They're certainly fixed on my progress after they've passed me.

I encountered this yesterday as a driver passed me too close for comfort, and I thought, if you're so concerned with my well being after you passed me (perhaps thinking I might have been knocked over on the pass) why didn't you take a little more care and give me more room as you passed? You did pass a little too close. If I did go down would you pull over to help, or take off to avoid the consequences?

I watched the head bob of the driver yesterday looking at the side view mirror at me as I left his blind spot. I figuered his glance would move to the rear view mirror as he moved on up further past me so I thought I would see what he would do if I mouthed an uncomplementary comment to his eyes (no need to actually say anything, he couldn't hear it anyhow).

Sure enough, a few meters up, I saw his eyes move to the rear view mirror so I mouthed to him, "F**k-wad".

Immediately, a scowl came over his face and up came the bird. I repeated the mouthing one more time and he flipped it 2 more times in rapid succession. He moved on, made his turn and I continued on my way thinking, if he was concerned enough about the way he passed me to see if he may have hit me, why should he be offended to see I had something nasty to convey to him because of the way he pased me?

I know one shouldn't make a bad situation worse and I could've done something different, but I was just interested in what reaction I was going to get. I guess it was a ******** reaction after a ******** move.

Anyone else encounter these "concerned" but ultimately, unsafe sub-species of over takers?

I remember reading an article. I can´t remember the author but they identified is a certain type of driver who is determined to prove that cycling is inherently dangerous and that cyclists should therefore not be allowed on the road. Hence, in order to prove their position they make a big deal of overtaking. Often too close and despite taking every apparent possible care to avoid an accident even hit the cyclist. "Now look what you made me do- I told you bikes shouldn´t be on the road".

Plato

(well if he was alive today he would have written it)