Old 10-19-09, 09:47 PM
Choccy
Commuter

Bikes: Handsome Dog Titanium (Work) Santa Cruz Superlight (Play) Kona Stinky (Real Play)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Im a different size with every brand. Ive built my winter clothing system up over many years, you have to experiment a bit to find what works for you.
My winter system is a merino T-shirt baselayer (Ive used synthetic for many years but merino are just better), a softshell style jacket and midlayers according to the temp. I dont find synthetic midlayers to be any better than woollen jumpers. I usually carry some spare insulation for breakdowns and extra cold days, usually a sleeveless fleece jacket that was pretty cheap.
I used to use gortex hardshell but its too clammy for dry days. A simple dense-weave windproof is more effective.

A vital part of my system is hand/foot/neck protection. Two layers of woollen socks with sealskins for wet days, a fleece or wool neck buff/headover thing. I havent found a good solution for gloves in many years of winter riding. Im going with some fleece windstopper ones this season. Waterproof gloves just dont seem to work well for me.
Try waterproof mitts over your gloves. Or windproof mitts. I tried mitts after reading this forum and have not had cold hands since.

Choccy...