Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by camaddy
Hey all, I just overhauled my rear hub last night. The reason I overhauled it is because it had been making a lot of noise and it thought it was dry. When I opened it up I found that it was fine, but I went ahead and cleaned/re-lubed everything anyway. Now that it's all back together it's still making a lot of noise so I think maybe it needs replaced. It's the Bontrager that came on my '02 Kokopelli if that makes any difference. Thanks for any help.

Edit: I just read the other post about the hubs clicking and am thinking maybe I didn't tighten down the lock nuts right. I can't figure out how to do it on the Bontrager hub because it has a rubber cone shaped dust cover that goes over the cone and the lock nut goes outside of that on the axle. How am I supposed to tighten the cone and locknut on this thing when I can no longer get to the cone once the dust cover is on?
If you went to all the trouble to take it apart you may as well clean and repack it. There is actually some pretty detailed information on Trek's web site for servicing the many hub styles they have. Unfortunately, I couldn't find them very easily for you.

That rubber dust cover does a pretty good job of keeping schmutz out so don't leave them off. I had the same issue with a different brand of wheels. I found I had to put my cone wrenches in place first before putting the rubber seal on. The seal then sort of held them in place while I could tighten and adjust the tension.