operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by krems81
i'd trust most knowledgable, well equipped shops to do a tap on my bb (provided that there are no problems with the threads that I want to resolve), what i don't trust is that they need my $50 for it. They're basically making you pay for tool maintenance, because the labor takes 10 minutes if you bring in a stripped bb. I'd rather get my own tools, or go to the local non-profit open shop, which I've done so far in these situations. My local open shop is very well equipped. i don't know about yours.

Do you have a link to the icetoolz tap? I'd probably give it a try. If you like it, and it works out for you, I might buy it from you afterwards if you really only need it one time...
If you actually knew how much that tool costs you wouldn't say such ignorant things. Most shops aren't using cheapass 'icetoolz' facers/chasers. If the bb is out of the frame, chasing shouldn't be more than $10-$20. I love how people think LBS should sell everything at cost and make no money on repairs. Good thing customers like you aren't supporting the shops.