View Single Post
Old 10-22-09, 06:39 PM
Ken Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Playing around with getting lost can be interesting when the weather is good, not so much fun when it's raining and windy -- or getting dark.

After saying for years that a GPS is not necessary for bicycle touring -- and it isn't -- I started using one this summer -- it took some figuring how to make it work to suit my riding style -- and now I can't imagine riding without it (on unfamiliar terrain).

But it doesn't matter what I think. I know too many smart people who insist on using a GPS for their car driving. Also I run a large regional website of road-bike routes, and discovered that people were using a GPS to drive (with their bikes on the car) to the starting point -- and getting lost while driving because they hadn't programmed the ride staring point into their GPS correctly.

If I want lots of other people to benefit from the road-routes I've designed, I have to put them into a GPS format, which takes time and I'm not done yet.
(I suspect that lots of GPS units designed for car driving are not suitable for bicycling navigation -- at least not the kind I like on quiet roads -- because they cannot store and follow .gpx tracks.)
Ken