View Single Post
Old 10-23-09, 10:12 AM
Whiteknight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Raleigh is easily on par with any of the other manufacturers.
Chipcom is right on this one.
Since 2004 my wife rode a step-through frame Trek Navigator 100. Once it had about 6,000 miles on it I figured it was time for a spare. So I bought her a step-through frame Raleigh Detour 3.0. Both ran about $300 out of the local LBS. The Raleigh is a few pounds lighter than the Trek Navigator. If we are going to do dirt trails she likes the wider tires of the Trek. On asphalt or packed "stone dust" trails she likes the lighter Raleigh since it is a bit easier on hills.

Neither of these bikes has shown any real flaws in design or in parts quality. The Trek came with Sram while the Raleigh came with Shimano. Cleaning and lubrication keeps them both in use with no problems. In 6,000 miles of use the Trek took one chain and one cassette which is better than some folks get out of these parts.

Usually differences in price simply reflect differences in the running gear parts used. I just pulled the Kenda tires off the Detour and replaced them with a pair of Continental Touring Plus tires. Compared to the Kenda's, lower rolling resistance but a good difference in price.