Old 10-24-09, 08:53 PM
Mr. Fly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am sure you've confirmed that the spoke counts for both hubs and rims are consistent (i.e., 36).

If the brake surfaces are OK, since you indicated that your wheels are currently true, you can almost-confirm that the rims are OK by determining the spoke tension consistency for each side of the wheel (for rear wheels) or for the entire wheel (for front wheels). The consistency of the spoke tension can tell you if the rim required extraordinary tweaking to get it true. Pluck the spokes for tone if you don't have a tensiometer.

If the rims are in good condition, I don't see any issue with rebuilding them with a new hub. If you don't ride much in the rain, and use a rim-friendly brake pad (Koolstop Salmon, amongst others), rims can last quite a few tens of thousands of miles. The only things you'll loose from this experience if it turns out unfavorably is you'll be out a set of spokes and some of your time. If you're an optimist, you can even chalk up the time to wheel building experience gained.