Old 10-26-09, 06:23 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
That's great. Best thing about it: it's not a Raleigh! I mean, Raleigh's are great, but the other English bicycle manufacturers, who all got bought out by Raleigh by the early 60's, used standard threading on BB and headset, and often --as here-- more interesting fender and chain guard designs. Keep your eyes open and you'll see this chainguard on other bikes --Sun, Sunbeam, Hercules, I don't know what. Not Norman, Norman had a slightly different one.

I wouldn't sweat the paint on the fenders. The original fender paint is already ruined, so if you're planning on stripping the old paint and rust off and properly applying primer etc., and then doing the appropriate pinstriping / boxlining.... well, why not? You can even have them powdercoated.

I'm guessing "Standard" is the model, "K" the maker. Any indication what it might stand for?