Old 10-28-09, 09:31 AM
enfilade

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone 09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what was one of your most memorable rides?

for me, it was a ride i did about two months ago. i set off at sundown and rode towards a small village called Longnor, which is about six miles from Buxton, my hometown. when i came to the crossroads in Longnor i decided to take a different route from which i had planned. it led up onto the moors, an empty, desolate stretch of road for about five miles. i'd never done the route before but had a vague idea of where i was going.

it was getting dark when i left Longnor, and a heavy fog was setting in. it may have been foolish of me to take an unfamiliar road on my own at that time, but i wanted a route i'd never done before.

as i rode into the increasing dark i was aware of this quiet stillness all around me. it was kind of surreal. i could barely see the road infront of me, and would've ridden into the ditch if it wasn't for an otherwise weak front light which cut through the fog like a sunbeam through clouds. i was intensely present throughout the ride. time seemed to be stretched out. it's hard to put into words, but it was an incredible feeling.

occassionally, a car would approach the horizon infront of me. it's headlight beams would gradually illuminate the fog as it moved further up the hill. the fog, turning into an increasingly brighter yellow-orange, resembled a beautiful sunrise. then the car peaked the top of the hill. i was drowned in light.

Last edited by enfilade; 10-28-09 at 09:35 AM.