View Single Post
Old 10-29-09, 07:05 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
I'm running Bontrager Select Discs w/28mm's on them. Retail run about $300 for the pair, but deals can be had. I paid right around $200 for mine. Some complain about the paired spoke design, but I'm a 180lb rider and no issues with mine.
I'm one of those who have had issues with them, and I own two sets and weigh 165 lbs.

I'll be willing to part with one set after this weekend when I pick up the new wheels my LBS is building for my Trek Portland. The rear was replaced under warranty in June, but has been used only for a couple of hundred miles. PM me if you're interested.

The big difficulty with road disk wheels is finding rear hubs. If your bike can fit 135mm, then there's no problem at all because any MTB hub will fit. If you need 130mm hubs, good luck--especially with your budget.

My new wheelset is being built with Velocity's 130mm Road Disk Rear Hub (3rd row down on the right on this page). Other than the price, $140, I know know nothing more about it than what's on that page. Ask for a review after a month or so.

I chose Velocity's VXC disk-specific rims. They get a premium for those--$80 a hoop. Along with a front dyno hub (Shimano Alfine), I'm looking at $715 for the set before sales tax and my bike club discount.