View Single Post
Old 03-21-05, 09:01 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by veloiseau
Anyway... People (like my mom, other non-biker friends) have been freaking me out lately about how it's TERRIBLE to ride at night because of not only car-related issues, but because bikers (male and female) get robbed all the time, etc. etc. I know so many riders (girls included) who don't take hardly any of the precautions that I do and who have never run into trouble. However, I am wondering if I should quit my incredible late night rides because of the supposed "grievous danger" involved.
Getting attacked at night is so overrated. I've ridden in slums all over New York City at night and nothing ever happend. Everywhere from Harlem, South Bronx, East New York and nothing ever happend. I knew this touring biker who traveled in third world slums on a 16' inch wheel folder and nothing happened. Here's why.

First, the transportation cyclist is thought to be a very poor individual who can't even afford public transportation let alone a car. In poor neighborhoods, these cyclist are thought to be practically homeless and his bicycle worthless. By the time potential robbers see your bicycle, (if they can determine it's value) you're long gone and they won't be able to catch you. I do think a helmet works against you because poor transportation cyclist usually do not wear helmets. Unfortunately, you still have to wear one.

Second, On street robberies are usually not done at the spur of the moment. They are have to be planned minutes or sometimes hours in advance and targets tend to be slow walking peds. I've seen potential robbers look at my bicycle lights and possibly considered an assult. It never happned because I zoomed past them within seconds.

If I were you, I'd invest in two more red blinkies. Put one on the back of your helmet and make sure it has at least seven LEDs! If anyone is going to hurt you it will be the motorist. Almost half of all cyclists that are killed happend at night. I suspect the number of people riding bicycles drops very low yet it's at this time that half are killed. Therefore, the numbers work against you at night so it's imperative that you have two or three red blinkies on the rear. It would be a good idea to put another white flasher in the front.

If your're going to ride in poor neighborhoods, don't even think of weaing a police mans vest!