Old 10-31-09, 09:58 AM
Tricycle_Rider

Bikes: Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
12 Miles on my second ride

Got my bike at the end of September and rode it once on October 3 for 7 torturous miles. I didnt get in any more rides for the rest of October for various reasons - came in drunk on Friday night, had to work one Saturday, was tired, etc, etc .................

and realised that I was just making excuses for being damn lazy. Because of where I live and the nature of my job the only clear cut day I have to ride is Saturday, so last night I blew off some co-workers who wanted to go out for drinks, called up my friend who had been riding by himself the past 3 Saturdays and told him we were on.

My friend only rides on a Saturday. His wife died last year and he has to take care of his 2 small kids and the only time he gets off is Saturday morning. He took up riding and it has helped him to deal with the grief he went through last year and although he only rides on Saturday, he sometimes does in excess of 40 miles and is extremely fit.

So I met up with him and really took his advice, slow and steady. Complete the ride first and then over the next few weeks, ride a little harder until I can do it well, then increase distance.

I did 12.7 miles on my second outing on my rode bike without feeling like I was having a coronary, or stopping every 15 minutes to see if the family jewels were ok. I wore padded cycle shorts this morning which helped a whole lot in comfort.

Am really motivated now as it seemed much easier when you really put your mind to it. Gonna set my sights on doing 60 miles for November.