Want to ride more!

Bikes: Marin for dirt, Cannondale for road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Hi, and thanks for the thoughtful reply;

I should have said that I got the spoke lengths from the FSA website (which is quite good) and know that I'd need 24 278 mm straight pull spokes (front wheel), and 14 270 mm straight pull and 14 278 mm j-end spokes for the rear wheel.

I've got no experience in wheel building, and may wind up taking the wheels to our excellent LBS, operated by a frame builder/wheel builder extraordinaire. He's got a winter wheel build special at $35/wheel, plus parts, and if the wheels do, as you note, take standard spokes, that may be my best bet.

But the point you're making, as I understand it, is that swapping the spokes for lighter (and darker) ones isn't impossible or even very difficult if you have the skills.

This is very helpful, and reinforces my first thought.

--Joe F

Originally Posted by joejack951
Based on the pictures I've found, they appear to use standard spokes and nipples. Figure out what length you need* and go to town. At 24F/28R spokes, it shouldn't be all that tough to rebuild them though it won't be as easy as 32F/R. Do you have any experience building wheels?

Wheelsmith and DT are the most popular spoke brands. They both offer double butted spokes in slightly different sizes. Both also make brass and aluminum nipples. What you choose will depend on how light you want to go and how much you are willing to spend.

*You'll need 3 lengths of spokes most likely. One length for the front, then one length for drive side rear and one length for the non-drive side.