Old 11-06-09, 01:01 PM
alpacalypse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I could butt in for a second, I'd just like to say that on public transit, the Swift's not that great. I own one and I love it, and it's tempting to claim that it's awesome for riding buses but it's not.

It does occupy very little floorspace, which is nice for inter-city rail and storage at the office. But on the bus, the critical dimension is not floorspace but length, from front to back. The swift is long enough when folded that it sticks out in front and behind you when you're standing, and when you're sitting and holding it in front of you it's wider than you, so it bothers the people sitting next to you. And no, sliding it under the seat will not happen.

This isn't to say that it's impossible to take on the bus or even that it's unpleasant; to the contrary, dealing with the folded size is only a very slight hassle and I find the Swift to be worth that hassle for the improvement in ride quality and fit over my Dahon. But then again, I don't have a multimodal commute and only ride the bus occasionally. If I had to ride the bus with my bike every day (especially during rush hour), my priorities might be a bit different.

Edit: Also, if your budget is such that you're considering a Brompton, you really ought to look at the Bike Friday Tikit. It's often considered an alternative to the Brompton, because it folds very quickly and rides more like a "real bike" than the Brompton does.

Last edited by alpacalypse; 11-06-09 at 01:08 PM.