View Single Post
Old 11-06-09, 04:24 PM
TrekJapan
Each Drop of Sweat Counts

Bikes: MASI Speciale Road, Specialized Rockhopper 29'er, Dahon Jetstream XP, Dahon Speed P8, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Speed TT, Ignio Folding bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time to pick up a new commuter bike

I've got all manner of bikes around here however I sold my Trek SU 2.0 a while back and there's been a gap.

My actual commute is negligible. I live on a military base in Japan and work is a whopping 2 km away. That being said I need a commuter sized bike to run errands in that'll handle a rack, fenders and pannier. Also I want something that I can leave outside in the rain on occasion.

Yesterday I was at a local shop and they had a Giant Seek although I can't find it on the Japanese or American web site. This is a basic bike with lower end components, brown with orange trim and fork. Good looking bike.

A quick perusal of the Japanese web site shows a similar bike with hydraulic disc brakes and a better component line for not much more money. There's a local chain store here that sells Giant I can probably get it from or I can have the bike shop order it I'm sure. The local store is about 40 miles away. I can ride the train up and then ride the bike home if they have one which I bet they do.

I'm also going to Okinawa soon to work and know a bike shop or three that can get the same bike for me. Then I can pay the local Japanese UPS type company (Black Cat) to ship back home.

I hadn't seen anything since the Trek SU 2.0 that floated my boat and I was positively nuts for selling the Trek. But I took one look at this Giant and decided it was just what I was looking for. A hauler that I wouldn't be afraid to get dirty.

John