View Single Post
Old 11-07-09, 01:49 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I had never ridden over 20 miles in one go and I had entered a 27 miles road event. This turned into a 70 mile road event, which I completed without food.

It had a number of hills and I had realized at the begining of the ride I hadn't taken and food or water with me because I was late for the ride (I started the ride just a few minutes before the deadline). THe only thing I had was a milk drink about half an hour before.

During the 27 mile loop, I managed to take a detour and ended up on the 70 mile loop. I had a map, but stupidly no glasses - hey it was only 27 miles and I was told there would be shops along the way to buy food/drinks.

But there were no shops. It was in the middle of no where. I didn't see any water stops either (they were there, I must have just missed them). After about 20 miles, I realized I was on the wrong loop, the 70 mile loop. So I started to back track (there were sign posts with arrows telling us which way to go) in an attempt to get back to the 27 mile loop. In the meantime I saw the event organizer coming up in the oppposite direction picking up all the arrows!

We stopped, I told him my predicament. He said there's a water stop "just up the road" - how would I like to contine on the 70 mile loop?

So I continued on the 70 mile loop, and 10 miles later I got to a water stop. Boy was I relieved. But I was only about half way thru my journey. Well I did make it, and I was real angry for being so stupid as I threw all my money onto the table and raided the potato chiops, drinks, chocolates that were at the finishing stand.

Last edited by mustang1; 11-07-09 at 01:54 AM.