Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Had a stroke, need the best helmet out there

Old 10-12-22, 12:52 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,874
Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11917 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 1,007 Posts
Had a stroke, need the best helmet out there

Title says it all, I had a stroke. I want to go riding, but my helmet is at least 10 years old. So I plan on getting the best MIPS helmet out there. Some of them have more coverage, maybe they are for mtn biking, do you think they would offer better crash protection?
late is offline  
Old 10-12-22, 01:00 PM
  #2  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked 3,051 Times in 1,603 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you recover quickly and fully.

I suggest Bontrager Wavecell

They make both road and mountain. I have both. The visor comes off the mountain one, if it gets in your way, and it does offer more coverage at the back.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 10-12-22, 01:15 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
I have a Giro Helios Mips Spherical Helmet that allows the outer liner to rotate around the inner liner during a crash. Suppose to work but luckily I've never tested it..

Sorry to hear about your stroke..

Ride safe!
raqball is offline  
Old 10-16-22, 09:22 AM
  #4  
tcs
Palmer
 
tcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8,365

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked 1,615 Times in 946 Posts
"Best". Hmph. There are several test regimes for helmets. Companies design their helmets to meet minimum requirements or to ace the tests. Do the tests accurately map real-world requirements? We hope so, but I've never seen any real-world injury data feedback.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to wear a helmet that did well in tests. Thing is, CPSC/ASTM/Snell are a pass/fail, not a best/worst score. FWIW, a couple of outfits test to numerical rating.

Here's Virginia Tech Helmet Testing's take:

​​​​​​https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...-ratings.html#!

Here's a distillation of Consumer Report's testing:

https://helmets.org/bikehelmetratings.htm

In addition, I'd recommend a solid color bright white, safety orange or hi-viz helmet with a smooth, rounded exterior and extended rear coverage, none of which 'rates' in the tests but seems logical in the real world. Some companies' strap/harness/occipital support designs just don't work very comfortably with some folks' skull/face/jaw designs (which is why I don't think 'just buy what I bought' is very good advice). Finally, some helmet companies are now offering different headforms, for more rounded or more oval skulls.

PS - MIPS is one of six or seven rotational concussion mitigation technologies currently available on the helmet market.

Last edited by tcs; 10-16-22 at 01:41 PM.
tcs is offline  
Likes For tcs:
Old 10-16-22, 09:39 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 12,439

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4485 Post(s)
Liked 3,572 Times in 2,318 Posts
I have the POC Tektal. MTB style with very good coverage, MIPS, comfortable and excellent quality. (I wore the earlier Trabec for 6-7 years and got to see it hold up far better than any Bell I've used. COVID hit at the 5 year point so I stayed out of shops and just kept wearing it.

It is heavier with less venting than the road helmets but I find I don't even notice this helmet riding. I've worn it to the farmers market and discovered an hour later, I'm still wearing it! (And wearing it off bike for the visor to keep glare off my glasses is no hardship outside looking odd.)
79pmooney is online now  
Old 10-16-22, 10:07 AM
  #6  
LBKA (formerly punkncat)
 
Juan Foote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jawja
Posts: 4,299

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2206 Post(s)
Liked 961 Times in 687 Posts
Pardon me for asking, but what does "had a stroke" have to do with needing a new helmet? Do you anticipate falling on your head as a result of said, or...?
Juan Foote is offline  
Old 10-16-22, 10:44 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,874
Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11917 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote

Pardon me for asking, but what does "had a stroke" have to do with needing a new helmet? Do you anticipate falling on your head as a result of said, or...?
Hardening of the arteries makes me more vulnerable to getting more damage.
late is offline  
Likes For late:
Old 10-17-22, 12:20 AM
  #8  
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,435

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25609 Post(s)
Liked 9,554 Times in 6,646 Posts
.
...I replaced my 5 year old Smith MIPS helmet, at the beginning of the summer, with the one Specialized sells (not cheaply) as their better road helmet (the Prevail.)
I'm not especially fond of the company, but I looked at a lot of helmets (REI and local bike shops that remain), and this one had better ventilation, and was lighter than anything else I looked at.

It gets pretty hot here, so those are my major criteria. Your criteria might be different.
__________________
3alarmer is offline  
Old 10-17-22, 04:41 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,874
Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11917 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
.


...I replaced my 5 year old Smith MIPS helmet, at the beginning of the summer, with the one Specialized sells (not cheaply) as their better road helmet (the Prevail.)
I'm not especially fond of the company, but I looked at a lot of helmets (REI and local bike shops that remain), and this one had better ventilation, and was lighter than anything else I looked at.

It gets pretty hot here, so those are my major criteria. Your criteria might be different.
That looks amazing, but it's not what I am looking for. Also, this isn't a hot climate, and I do most of my riding in the morning. I'd like to say it's to avoid the heat, but we always stop somewhere for a coffee and a goody, and our favorite place closes at noon.

I like the looks of Wavecell. The closest bike shop with a decent selection is about a half hour drive, as soon as I can get us there, I'll take a look at those.
late is offline  
Old 12-11-22, 11:54 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,874
Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11917 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 1,007 Posts
I ordered a Fox Dropframe Pro, which was one of the best of the tested helmets, there is a better one, but it is $400. I tried a medium, but it was smaller than the medium Fox helmet I tried in a store. The Dropframe doesn't have the usual fitting system with the wheel in back. I am worried my head won't fit the large, all they do is provide thicker pads, so if it isn't close..

I am feeling better, but there's a long ways to go.

I have done PT so many times I am good at it. I scour Youtube and other sources for exercises and such. My balance isn't perfect, but it's good enough for riding. I found one that is really good at working those oddball muscles that you use balancing. My initial score was 9, I got an 18 out of 30 the other day, and my goal right now is to get into the 20s.

One of the exercises I've done for years is to walk forwards, backwards and sideways against the resistance of rubber bands. It helps. When I was in my 60s I could still push a car. I liked doing that, a gray haired old fart pushing a car had people doing the swivel look. What can I say, I like defying expectations.
late is offline  
Old 12-12-22, 01:04 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,758
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 451 Posts
Originally Posted by late
I ordered a Fox Dropframe Pro, which was one of the best of the tested helmets, there is a better one, but it is $400. I tried a medium, but it was smaller than the medium Fox helmet I tried in a store. The Dropframe doesn't have the usual fitting system with the wheel in back. I am worried my head won't fit the large, all they do is provide thicker pads, so if it isn't close..

I am feeling better, but there's a long ways to go.

I have done PT so many times I am good at it. I scour Youtube and other sources for exercises and such. My balance isn't perfect, but it's good enough for riding. I found one that is really good at working those oddball muscles that you use balancing. My initial score was 9, I got an 18 out of 30 the other day, and my goal right now is to get into the 20s.

One of the exercises I've done for years is to walk forwards, backwards and sideways against the resistance of rubber bands. It helps. When I was in my 60s I could still push a car. I liked doing that, a gray haired old fart pushing a car had people doing the swivel look. What can I say, I like defying expectations.
I really don't know what "better" means when ALL helmets sold in the US have to meet stringent CSPC metrics. Toughest in the world. $50 or $500 and the outcomes won't be any different. BTW, all bets are off if you fall and hit your head, helmet or no helmet. Helmets aren't magic. They attempt to keep a healthy head from sustaining life threatening trauma. You, my friend, should be on a trike. I saw this thread the day you posted your o.p. and I've held my peace hoping someone less opinionated than I would tell you the same thing.
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 12-12-22, 05:59 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,874
Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11917 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm

I really don't know what "better" means when ALL helmets sold in the US have to meet stringent CSPC metrics. Toughest in the world. $50 or $500 and the outcomes won't be any different. BTW, all bets are off if you fall and hit your head, helmet or no helmet. Helmets aren't magic. They attempt to keep a healthy head from sustaining life threatening trauma. You, my friend, should be on a trike. I saw this thread the day you posted your o.p. and I've held my peace hoping someone less opinionated than I would tell you the same thing.
The university has updated their ratings:
https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html

I know the risk. If I fall hard, I'm dead. We all die, but I am not done living. So I'll take whatever advantage I can get, but early next Spring, I am going to ride. I'm glad you posted, I hadn't looked at the ratings in a long time. If the Dropframe doesn't fit, good to know there are others out there now that are even better.
late is offline  
Likes For late:
Old 12-12-22, 06:08 AM
  #13  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked 3,051 Times in 1,603 Posts
Have you considered using an in-door trainer during the winter months? I spent a few years in Maine, and remember the winters as long and somewhat chilly.

Indoor trainers are great for rehab, too.

As I posted earlier, I hope you recover quickly and fully.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 12-12-22, 06:54 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,874
Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11917 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

Have you considered using an in-door trainer during the winter months? I spent a few years in Maine, and remember the winters as long and somewhat chilly.

Indoor trainers are great for rehab, too.

As I posted earlier, I hope you recover quickly and fully.
I have an old trainer, don't use it much. Most days I get up, make tea, and spend an hour on the treadmill watching tv.
late is offline  
Likes For late:
Old 12-12-22, 08:50 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 13,476
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4072 Post(s)
Liked 2,810 Times in 1,704 Posts
I seem to remember that you used to like video games. Give Zwift a try.
himespau is offline  
Likes For himespau:
Old 12-12-22, 12:25 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,758
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 451 Posts
Originally Posted by late
I know the risk. If I fall hard, I'm dead. We all die, but I am not done living. So I'll take whatever advantage I can get, but early next Spring, I am going to ride.
I don't know, TONS of people think trikes are so much fun (living) that they ride them even without age, balance compromises or other factors that force the issue. Just saying. But you do you. My point was that you don't need "the best" helmet. They are all good enough. More money gets you more comfort, more features, zippier styling, etc. But the helmet me and mine use, the $50 (on sale) Giro Register MIPS is every bit as good as your $200 Fox. Saving small amounts of money here and there throughout the year can add up to real money over time.
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 12-12-22, 03:15 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,874
Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11917 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau

I seem to remember that you used to like video games. Give Zwift a try.
Is Zwift one of those apps? I need to get the apps back on my phone. I hate Spectrum.

I understand Peloton has an app, any idea which one is best for an old guy in terrible shape?
late is offline  
Old 12-12-22, 03:22 PM
  #18  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked 3,051 Times in 1,603 Posts
There are a bunch of them now. The only two I have used are Zwift and Rouvy. Rouvy has actual scenery, which I find more motivating for some reason. Both have free trials. There are several other options as well.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 12-12-22, 03:23 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,874
Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11917 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm

I don't know, TONS of people think trikes are so much fun (living) that they ride them even without age, balance compromises or other factors that force the issue. Just saying. But you do you. My point was that you don't need "the best" helmet. They are all good enough. More money gets you more comfort, more features, zippier styling, etc. But the helmet me and mine use, the $50 (on sale) Giro Register MIPS is every bit as good as your $200 Fox. Saving small amounts of money here and there throughout the year can add up to real money over time.
"The Giro Register earned a 4 star rating. Its STAR value score of 17.06 ranked #130 of 178 helmets tested."

"The Fox Dropframe Pro MIPS earned a 5 star rating. Its STAR value score of 8.85 ranked #5 of 178 helmets tested."

You know anybody that does 20+ mile rides on a trike? With hills? My area is very safe, few lights or stop signs. My summer ended in August, this is already a long winter for me. I can't wait.
late is offline  
Old 12-12-22, 03:25 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,874
Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11917 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

There are a bunch of them now. The only two I have used are Zwift and Rouvy. Rouvy has actual scenery, which I find more motivating for some reason. Both have free trials. There are several other options as well.
Thanks, I'll check them out. I started feeling like myself, partly anyway, yesterday. It gave me hope, it's like a drug.
late is offline  
Likes For late:
Old 12-12-22, 03:33 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 13,476
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4072 Post(s)
Liked 2,810 Times in 1,704 Posts
Originally Posted by late
Is Zwift one of those apps? I need to get the apps back on my phone. I hate Spectrum.

I understand Peloton has an app, any idea which one is best for an old guy in terrible shape?
I've only ever tried Zwift, but they each have their pros and cons. I like the gamification of Zwift and that I have a team that I can ride/race with and that forces accountability onto me. I know not everyone is into racing, but Zwift also has group rides, workouts, and just free rides where you ride around and explore scenery (as do most of the other apps). There's no way I could ride indoors for long periods without an app to keep me going. I got hit by a car in May 2021 and since recovering and getting back on the bike in September 2021 I've probably done 200 miles outdoors at the absolute most and ~8,000 miles on the trainer.

To give you an idea of which one Zwift is, this is a me getting my ass kicked in a race in their stylized version of a Japanese island and then Richmond, VA. Again, you don't have to race, but this is just what the app looks like. Graphics were probably state of the art maybe 20 years ago, but it's designed to run on phones, apple TVs, tablets, computers, whatever.
himespau is offline  
Old 12-12-22, 03:40 PM
  #22  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 245

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 88 Posts
I just came across the VT helmet rating last week and went out to buy the $65 Giant Rev Comp MIPS, which IMO is probably the best bang for the buck. I already have a decent black helmet but wanted a white one as well.

Have you considered a recumbent trike? Iím seeing more of these on the road and on the bike paths here in SoCal. One of my buddies suffered brain injury from a motorcycle crash a while ago and was riding as a stoker at the back of a tandem for many years. He recently bought a recumbent trike so he can ride independently.



There are many styles and brands to choose from.
momoman is offline  
Old 12-12-22, 03:52 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,874
Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11917 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman

My knees are a mess, I can't use a recumbent unless I get new knees, which I don't want to do. I might if I could afford the top shelf artificial knees, but I have a long history of trashing stuff, including my body. And the failure rate of replacement knees is really bad.
late is offline  
Old 12-12-22, 09:11 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,758
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 451 Posts
Originally Posted by late
"The Giro Register earned a 4 star rating. Its STAR value score of 17.06 ranked #130 of 178 helmets tested."

"The Fox Dropframe Pro MIPS earned a 5 star rating. Its STAR value score of 8.85 ranked #5 of 178 helmets tested."

You know anybody that does 20+ mile rides on a trike? With hills? My area is very safe, few lights or stop signs. My summer ended in August, this is already a long winter for me. I can't wait.
You are still equating a"better" rating with "safer". Look at ratings of popular luxury cars. BMW's get rated higher than Mercedes-Benz, but a rating agency would be in real hot water if they claimed a BMW was safer than a Mercedes. But we already agreed that the point was moot. ANY fall would be a bad idea, even with the $400 helmet that is out of reach financially. By "trike" in my last post I meant recumbent trike, and people do 100+ miles a day on them. Have you actually tried a trike?
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 12-12-22, 10:13 PM
  #25  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 245

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by late
My knees are a mess, I can't use a recumbent unless I get new knees, which I don't want to do. I might if I could afford the top shelf artificial knees, but I have a long history of trashing stuff, including my body. And the failure rate of replacement knees is really bad.
According to this article a recumbent bike is easier on the knees. Have you tried riding a recumbent? Itís also closer to the ground so the impact from any fall should be less.

https://www.topfitnessmag.com/recumb...ter-for-knees/
momoman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.