Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

3 foot warning wand -- the Distanciador

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

3 foot warning wand -- the Distanciador

Old 12-14-15, 12:09 AM
  #26  
zonatandem
Senior Member
 
zonatandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 11,019

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Been struck from behind at least twice at about 45 mph.
Once on my single bike when the westcoast mirror on pickup truck hit me in the back, ripping off the mirror (and the bolts holding it to the door); driver was drunk and police arrested him. He got the ticket and a 3 month suspension from driving. I ended up seeing a chiropractor for 3 months.

Another time riding our tandem on a quiet frontage road we were struck by a pickup. Mirror hit stoker (rear rider) in the back. Luckily it was a 'break away' mirror. She ended up in emergency room. Driver claimed "I did not see you. Don't sue me, I am on social security, have no insurance and a restricted driver's license."
Asked the 70+ year old driver, "what do you see?" He replied "I try to drive between the lines and did not see you." This was at noontime on a bright sunny day with hardly any traffic! We were wearing orange jerseys!
Uninsured motorist fund paid for medical; driver was ticketed. Saw to it that he had his license revoked.
In both cases we never fell down . . . luck and decent bike handling helped.
The device that is shown would have made zero difference in each hit.
In 40+ years of cycling this were our 'major' encounters with traffric.
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Copy of Us on Co-Mo.jpg (100.1 KB, 3 views)
zonatandem is offline  
Old 12-14-15, 08:10 AM
  #27  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 6,482

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '68 Schwinn Orange Krate, and More!!

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
Those few drivers who are actually a threat are going to respect a stick when they don't respect a cyclists arm? I don't think so.
Of course. No action or product can eliminate all careless driving. That doesn't mean this gadget doesn't offer any benefit at all though.

Most drivers upon seeing it WILL steer farther around the cyclist. Surely you can see how this may offer comfort to some, in your words, more "timid and unskilled" riders.
AlmostTrick is online now  
Old 12-14-15, 08:13 AM
  #28  
asmac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
asmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,261

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digger View Post
Does it come in carbon fibre?
The whip is carbon fibre.
asmac is offline  
Old 12-14-15, 09:01 AM
  #29  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22,404
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8616 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 227 Posts
The idea is nothing new, folks. I am 50. When I was a kid I remember seeing a few people with day-glo pinkish/redish, flexible, rectangular "arms" that attached near the lower end of the left chainstay and stuck out a few feet. IIRC, they also had some sort of reflective material, and at the end was a circle, almost like a target.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 12-14-15, 09:13 AM
  #30  
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Posts: 3,774

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Texas has no 3-foot law, so correct me if I'm wrong. If you're riding in a bike lane, the cars are not required to give you three feet of clearance. The car stays in its lane, cyclist stays in thiers, and they can legally be inches from each other.

Legally, I think you'd have to retract it when riding in a bike lane, correct?
MMACH 5 is offline  
Old 12-14-15, 09:19 AM
  #31  
kickstart
Senior Member
 
kickstart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kent Wa.
Posts: 5,355

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
Of course. No action or product can eliminate all careless driving. That doesn't mean this gadget doesn't offer any benefit at all though.

Most drivers upon seeing it WILL steer farther around the cyclist. Surely you can see how this may offer comfort to some, in your words, more "timid and unskilled" riders.
So whats better, a timid or unskilled cyclist receiving a false sense of security from a stick, or their being more cautious and vigilant until they have confidence and skill?

There's also the concern that its far more likely to cause undesired results than protect the user from an actual harm.

Last edited by kickstart; 12-14-15 at 09:23 AM.
kickstart is offline  
Old 12-14-15, 09:26 AM
  #32  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 6,482

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '68 Schwinn Orange Krate, and More!!

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5 View Post
Texas has no 3-foot law, so correct me if I'm wrong. If you're riding in a bike lane, the cars are not required to give you three feet of clearance. The car stays in its lane, cyclist stays in thiers, and they can legally be inches from each other.

Legally, I think you'd have to retract it when riding in a bike lane, correct?
I don't see why you'd have to retract it unless there is a law restricting how wide a bike can be. Or some other law prohibiting these types of gadgets.

A cyclist carrying a load, or pulling a trailer can be much wider than a regular bike, and that's certainly legal.
AlmostTrick is online now  
Old 12-14-15, 09:34 AM
  #33  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 6,482

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '68 Schwinn Orange Krate, and More!!

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
So whats better, a timid or unskilled cyclist receiving a false sense of security from a stick, or their being more cautious and vigilant until they have confidence and skill?

There's also the concern that its far more likely to cause undesired results than protect the user from an actual harm.
I already stated I'm not a proponent of these contraptions. Just pointing out how it can help calm some cyclists and get them out there.

If drivers are going wider around this thing, (and I believe most will) that's not a "false sense of security". It's real.

I also don't see much chance of these units causing any harm, especially if not extended out too far... though I'm sure people can come up with some unlikely event of death and destruction.
AlmostTrick is online now  
Old 12-14-15, 10:09 AM
  #34  
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Posts: 3,774

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
I don't see why you'd have to retract it unless there is a law restricting how wide a bike can be. Or some other law prohibiting these types of gadgets.

A cyclist carrying a load, or pulling a trailer can be much wider than a regular bike, and that's certainly legal.
Agreed. However, is the load or trailer allowed to encroach into the adjacent lane?

If the bike lane is 24" wide and the Distanciador is 36" wide, it would be sticking into the adjacent lane and I believe the 3-foot law does not apply there (cars just have to stay in their lane -- and bike probably do to).
MMACH 5 is offline  
Old 12-14-15, 10:31 AM
  #35  
Shimagnolo
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5 View Post
Agreed. However, is the load or trailer allowed to encroach into the adjacent lane?

If the bike lane is 24" wide and the Distanciador is 36" wide, it would be sticking into the adjacent lane and I believe the 3-foot law does not apply there (cars just have to stay in their lane -- and bike probably do to).
In CO, the 3-foot law is the law, regardless of whether there are bike lane markings.
Shimagnolo is online now  
Old 12-14-15, 10:49 AM
  #36  
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Posts: 3,774

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
In CO, the 3-foot law is the law, regardless of whether there are bike lane markings.
Really? So, if a cyclist is riding on the left hand side of a separated bike lane (separated by an 18" gap between the bike lane and auto lane), then the motorist is required by law to drive another foot and a half away from that protected area?

I admitted my ignorance of the 3-foot law in my first post in this thread, so if you tall me it's the law, I'll believe it.
MMACH 5 is offline  
Old 12-14-15, 11:06 AM
  #37  
Shimagnolo
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5 View Post
Really? So, if a cyclist is riding on the left hand side of a separated bike lane (separated by an 18" gap between the bike lane and auto lane), then the motorist is required by law to drive another foot and a half away from that protected area?

I admitted my ignorance of the 3-foot law in my first post in this thread, so if you tall me it's the law, I'll believe it.
Relevant CO Statutes:

42-4-1003 Overtaking a vehicle on the left
(b) The driver of a motor vehicle overtaking a bicyclist proceeding in the same direction shall allow the bicyclist at least a three-foot separation between the right side of the driver's vehicle, including all mirrors or other projections, and the left side of the bicyclist at all times.

42-4-1008.5 Crowding or threatening bicyclist
(1) The driver of a motor vehicle shall not, in a careless and imprudent manner, drive the vehicle unnecessarily close to, toward, or near a bicyclist.
(2) Any person who violates subsection (1) of this section commits careless driving as described in section 42-4-1402.

Do you see an exception regarding lane markings?
Neither did the cop who ticketed this idiot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF8tJC7LBnM
Shimagnolo is online now  
Old 12-14-15, 11:10 AM
  #38  
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Posts: 3,774

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
Relevant CO Statutes:

42-4-1003 Overtaking a vehicle on the left
(b) The driver of a motor vehicle overtaking a bicyclist proceeding in the same direction shall allow the bicyclist at least a three-foot separation between the right side of the driver's vehicle, including all mirrors or other projections, and the left side of the bicyclist at all times.

42-4-1008.5 Crowding or threatening bicyclist
(1) The driver of a motor vehicle shall not, in a careless and imprudent manner, drive the vehicle unnecessarily close to, toward, or near a bicyclist.
(2) Any person who violates subsection (1) of this section commits careless driving as described in section 42-4-1402.

Do you see an exception regarding lane markings?
Neither did the cop who ticketed this idiot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF8tJC7LBnM
Right on.
MMACH 5 is offline  
Old 12-14-15, 11:21 AM
  #39  
Vicegrip
Senior Member
 
Vicegrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kaleco. Beat them to it with the friendly cat paw

Last edited by Vicegrip; 12-14-15 at 11:27 AM.
Vicegrip is offline  
Old 12-14-15, 02:33 PM
  #40  
curtiseddie
Deadrise & Derailleurs
 
curtiseddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: O'fallon, MO
Posts: 61

Bikes: Schwinn Moab, Focus Mares AX, Kona Kahuna DL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think there are some motorists that would use that as a target to attempt to hit.
curtiseddie is offline  
Old 12-16-15, 03:33 PM
  #41  
Harhir
Senior Member
 
Harhir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 382

Bikes: 94 Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 88 Gazelle Primeur, 00 Lightning Phantom, 99 and 01 bikeE, 9x Mongoose MTB and more to come.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We had similar ones as kids in Germany on our bikes. Not three foot wide but around 12.5" wide. But I think they never made a difference.
BuM Abstandhalter orange 320mm: Amazon.de: Sport & Freizeit
Harhir is offline  
Old 12-16-15, 06:36 PM
  #42  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
if something on your bike sticks out 3 feet, then then motorists should pass you 3' further out. This is why I've never done it. Although riding around with an old frame on the back has occurred to me
unterhausen is offline  
Old 12-16-15, 06:39 PM
  #43  
Shimagnolo
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
if something on your bike sticks out 3 feet, then then motorists should pass you 3' further out. This is why I've never done it. Although riding around with an old frame on the back has occurred to me
Not long ago I did a double-take as a motorcycle passed me going the opposite direction;
It had a complete bicycle attached to the sissy-bar, (with bicycle oriented 90 degrees to the motorcycle).
Shimagnolo is online now  
Old 12-16-15, 06:53 PM
  #44  
kickstart
Senior Member
 
kickstart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kent Wa.
Posts: 5,355

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
Not long ago I did a double-take as a motorcycle passed me going the opposite direction;
It had a complete bicycle attached to the sissy-bar, (with bicycle oriented 90 degrees to the motorcycle).
I sometimes carry a bike perched upright on top of my motorcycles sidecar, some of the looks I get makes me feel like I'm from Mars or something.
kickstart is offline  
Old 12-16-15, 11:17 PM
  #45  
hooCycles
Senior Member
 
hooCycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 199

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Often I will ride very near the centerline for a few seconds due to potholes or other debris. I don't want to have to worry about hitting an oncoming car with this thing, even if it is retractable. I'm not talking about a thought-out maneuver here, I'm talking about a quick head check and sharp turn.

Also, does anyone know if they have a '1 meter law' in European countries?
hooCycles is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 10:51 AM
  #46  
CrippledKonaBoy
Banned.
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: south of the Great Lakes
Posts: 195

Bikes: The Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
if something on your bike sticks out 3 feet, then then motorists should pass you 3' further out. This is why I've never done it. Although riding around with an old frame on the back has occurred to me
I think most of us would agree that this is being presented as a tool to counter the majority who DON'T observe 3-foot passing. So the 'extra 3 feet' is a strawman argument.
CrippledKonaBoy is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 03:04 PM
  #47  
kickstart
Senior Member
 
kickstart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kent Wa.
Posts: 5,355

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrippledKonaBoy View Post
I think most of us would agree that this is being presented as a tool to counter the majority who DON'T observe 3-foot passing. So the 'extra 3 feet' is a strawman argument.
I think most disagree.
A "tool" has a legitimate and useful function, and the vast majority who pass a cyclist do so in a responsible manner.

It's a rubber crutch that will probably do more harm than good when one takes into account who would actually use one.
kickstart is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 03:11 PM
  #48  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 9,506

Bikes: '76 Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Burley Samba, Terra Trike

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
When you crash when it's slick
You high-side on your stick
That's distanciador-ay
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is online now  
Old 12-20-15, 05:19 AM
  #49  
CrippledKonaBoy
Banned.
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: south of the Great Lakes
Posts: 195

Bikes: The Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
I think most disagree.
A "tool" has a legitimate and useful function, and the vast majority who pass a cyclist do so in a responsible manner.

It's a rubber crutch that will probably do more harm than good when one takes into account who would actually use one.
Guess I should have been more clear, then you wouldn't come off like an ass.

When I said "majority", I should have specified that I was referring solely to those who DO pass unsafely, not simply those who pass. MOST who pass unsafely would likely start doing so with this tool; those that wouldn't care are the ones discussed earlier, who's catch the thing on their cars. It's a"majority within a minority" as a separate group.

But I'm done with this.
CrippledKonaBoy is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Rkman
Road Cycling
1
05-06-18 08:36 PM
Homebrew01
Road Cycling
6
11-12-10 08:47 AM
KRhea
Tandem Cycling
16
07-14-08 10:50 PM
Dead Extra #2
Foo
11
11-27-05 11:37 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.