Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-16, 01:15 PM   #51
benton1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Southern NJ
Bikes: Fuji Origami 1.3 Folder,MetaPhysic, Michael Whitener road bike, Specialize Vita Comp Carbon Hybrid
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have been following this tragic story and initially had some hope that there would be justice for the victim of this crime because just a few days after the crash I read that the car had been located. It seems as if there is some sort of cover up in that no one has been either identified or charged with what seems to be vehicular homicide. This may sound harsh, but that's my impression after reading all that's been written about this. Just my two cents but it is heartbreaking I am sure for his family and friends. As a cyclist, I am outraged that nothing has been done.
benton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-16, 02:01 PM   #52
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benton1 View Post
I have been following this tragic story and initially had some hope that there would be justice for the victim of this crime because just a few days after the crash I read that the car had been located. It seems as if there is some sort of cover up in that no one has been either identified or charged with what seems to be vehicular homicide. This may sound harsh, but that's my impression after reading all that's been written about this. Just my two cents but it is heartbreaking I am sure for his family and friends. As a cyclist, I am outraged that nothing has been done.
Hopefully others will now realize that NYPD does not want to bring the driver to justice.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 06:54 PM   #53
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Most Hit & Run Drivers Are Getting Away With Murder In NYC, New Data Shows

(FWIW, getting your news from internut comments is probably not wise.)

Three things I love about Gothamist. Their reporters are very good. The reporters not only can but do follow up on stories, and they often team up to do so. And many of their reporters are people who ride bikes.

-mr. bill
mr_bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-16, 08:29 AM   #54
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
ARREST!

-mr. bill
mr_bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-16, 09:45 PM   #55
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Seems there was strong pressure on NYPD and the mayor to get the arrest.

Well done on those who kept pushing.

Hopefully we will find out the reason for the long delay in the arrest.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-16, 04:43 PM   #56
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
More details. Again, internut comments, worth every byte.

-mr. bill
mr_bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-16, 05:40 PM   #57
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Mecian
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Thanks Mr Bill. This kind of puts the kibosh on the "cops protecting their own" theory. But overcoming any prejudice is difficult, and impossible in the A&S forum.
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 08:26 AM   #58
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Just a couple of related updates to the hit-and-run problems in New York.

The latest death is an 85 year old pedestrian, Raphe Nieves, who was struck yesterday afternoon a couple of blocks away from where Matthew Von Ohlen was struck.

Legislation filed for reward leading to....
Eric Adams (Brooklyn Borough President) calls for reforming hit and run penalties....

-mr. bill
mr_bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 05:58 PM   #59
jon c. 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 2,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
This kind of puts the kibosh on the "cops protecting their own" theory.
Why?
jon c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 06:15 PM   #60
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Mecian
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
Why?
posts 36 and 32, previous poster were sure it was a police cover up.
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 06:30 PM   #61
jon c. 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 2,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
posts 36 and 32, previous poster were sure it was a police cover up.
Okay, someone may have suspected it was 'cops protecting cops', but since the story indicated that it wasn't a cop that only invalidates the notion that this was at play in this instance. It doesn't really speak to the problem of police protecting each other in any way that I can see.
jon c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 09:41 PM   #62
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
posts 36 and 32, previous poster were sure it was a police cover up.
If a cop had been killed, the arrest would have happened in 24 hours.

There was no statement that the killer was not a relative to a cop. So it is still not clear why NYPD took so long to really arrest this guy.

The video seemed clear the hit was intentional, but the killer was only charged with reckless driving.

Significant pressure from many cyclist, bloggers and the mayor may be the real factor in an arrest being made.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

Last edited by CB HI; 01-10-17 at 09:49 PM.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 09:50 PM   #63
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Mecian
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
If a cop had been killed, the arrest would have happened in 24 hours.
Quite likely the case. That, however, is unrelated to the false claim you made that the lack of am arrest was because it was either a police officer or a relative that was the criminal.
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 09:58 PM   #64
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
Quite likely the case. That, however, is unrelated to the false claim you made that the lack of am arrest was because it was either a police officer or a relative that was the criminal.
So you did not actually read post 36!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
I think NYPD would have gone silent sooner if the driver was a fellow NYPD. The timing of the silence after announcing they know the registered owner, makes me think it is a cop from another jurisdiction or the family member of a NYPD cop.

Way too many cases around the nation of this type of crap going on.

Hopefully we will find out if this is the case or not for this killing.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 10:27 PM   #65
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Mecian
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Sure I read it. In which post did you correct your accusation? The phrase "Makes me think" is an accusation in my mind. If not so in your mind that's fine, but convincing me that was not your intent will prove to be very very difficult should you choose to try.
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 10:42 PM   #66
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
Sure I read it. In which post did you correct your accusation? The phrase "Makes me think" is an accusation in my mind. If not so in your mind that's fine, but convincing me that was not your intent will prove to be very very difficult should you choose to try.
Knowing how badly you misunderstand others post, and your insistence that you are the only person that knows what is in others minds, I would not try to change your mind. Trying to understand your mind could lead some to mental illness.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 10:49 PM   #67
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Mecian
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Still cannot admit when you are wrong can ya, CB HI
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 03:06 AM   #68
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
Still cannot admit when you are wrong can ya, CB HI
You claiming someone is wrong, is proof of their truth.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 07:02 AM   #69
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
There was no statement that the killer was not a relative to a cop.
Before you thought Juan Maldonado was a police officer in a different jurisdiction.

WRONG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnainfo
In May, a month before the collision, he was cited for drinking in public, police said.

The day before the crash, he lost his job at Certified Lumber, where he worked since 2012 dropping off construction material to job sites, for not coming to work or coming to work drunk, lumberyard payroll secretary Anna Landau said.
But you also thought he might be a relative of a police officer.
So now you are suspicious because they didn't inform YOU that he's not a relative of a police officer?

Really, wt....

Maybe he knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody who is a relative of a police officer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
So it is still not clear why NYPD took so long to really arrest this guy.
WRONG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnainfo
Authorities had earlier identified Maldonado as their main suspect after they found the man's car in Connecticut, but were waiting for a grand jury to indict him on felony charges before making an arrest, officials said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
The video seemed clear the hit was intentional, but the killer was only charged with reckless driving.
WRONG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STREETSBLOG
Maldonado was charged with assault, manslaughter, leaving the scene, and weapons possession — all felonies — as well as speeding, reckless driving, careless driving, and violating the victim’s right of way, according to court records. The top charge, assault in the first degree, is a class B felony with penalties ranging from five to 25 years in prison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Significant pressure from many cyclist, bloggers and the mayor may be the real factor in an arrest being made.
WRONG!

Zero evidence that this is the case. I mean, really, zero evidence.

Can you find some other litter box to play in? Please?

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 01-11-17 at 07:19 AM.
mr_bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 11:21 AM   #70
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
10 days, 10 dead. 7 were people on foot or people on bikes.

-mr. bill
mr_bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 02:19 PM   #71
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
Before you thought Juan Maldonado was a police officer in a different jurisdiction.

WRONG!


But you also thought he might be a relative of a police officer.
So now you are suspicious because they didn't inform YOU that he's not a relative of a police officer?

Really, wt....

Maybe he knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody who is a relative of a police officer?

WRONG!

WRONG!

WRONG!

Zero evidence that this is the case. I mean, really, zero evidence.

Can you find some other litter box to play in? Please?

-mr. bill
And mr. bill believes every excuse that may be published in government press releases.

and from the article that mr. bill previously linked to:
Quote:
The charges filed Tuesday, carrying a top sentence of 15 years, imply recklessness—not intentionality.
.
.
.
.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

Last edited by CB HI; 01-11-17 at 02:32 PM.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 02:28 PM   #72
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
And then mr. bill post of how police were able to arrest and charge a driver in just a couple of days for a killing on our roads.

How odd they did not have to wait for a grand jury to indict him.

Quote:
New Year's Day. ... A few hours later, another hit-and-run driver struck and killed a 53-year-old man attempting to cross Crescent Street in Cyprus Hills (the driver, 23-year-old Ted Jerome, has since been arrested and charged with leaving the scene, as well as operating without a license).
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 07:47 PM   #73
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Mecian
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
And then mr. bill post of how police were able to arrest and charge a driver in just a couple of days for a killing on our roads.

How odd they did not have to wait for a grand jury to indict him.

Might be because of the NY grand jury laws:

Under New York State law, unless the defendant consents, all felony cases must be presented to the Grand Jury. Grand Juries are empowered to hear evidence presented by prosecutors, and to take various actions regarding the evidence and legal charges they are to consider. The Grand Jury can also conduct independent investigations. Grand Juries sit for a term of approximately one month. Each Grand Jury is comprised of 23 citizens who hear and examine evidence concerning offenses and take action based on such evidence.

Was your cited example being charged as a felony? Did the defendant waive the right to a grand jury? Does your anti-police bias get in your way of mental clarity? Nah forget it I already know the answer.
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 09:34 PM   #74
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
Might be because of the NY grand jury laws:

Under New York State law, unless the defendant consents, all felony cases must be presented to the Grand Jury. Grand Juries are empowered to hear evidence presented by prosecutors, and to take various actions regarding the evidence and legal charges they are to consider. The Grand Jury can also conduct independent investigations. Grand Juries sit for a term of approximately one month. Each Grand Jury is comprised of 23 citizens who hear and examine evidence concerning offenses and take action based on such evidence.

Was your cited example being charged as a felony? Did the defendant waive the right to a grand jury? Does your anti-police bias get in your way of mental clarity? Nah forget it I already know the answer.
Police, even in NY can and do arrest before grand juries. Do you really think police sit on there hands waiting for a grand jury while a murderer flees the state.

I am anti-police when the bad police and police departments are concerned. I am pro-police towards the good police and police departments. So my mental clarity is just fine, but maybe you were looking in a mirror at the time.

Honolulu Police are about 50/50 good/bad. The current Honolulu police chief is one of the bad ones. He is being offered several hundred thousand dollars to just retire and go away, even though the FBI has not completed it's investigation of him and his Prosecuting Attorney wife (also corrupt).

HPD chief on paid leave for 30 days | Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Embattled HPD chief takes leave as federal investigation heats u - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Embattled HPD chief to get big payoff to retire, in addition to - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 10:03 PM   #75
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Mecian
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Yes, the NY law does not state when in the process the grand jury must be consulted, only that a defendant face the grand jury before arraignment.

Your posts here seem to run very heavily to all cops are bad, and frankly you see corruption, conspiracy, and collusion behind every tree and bush. That's up to you, I don't see every event to be best explained thusly.
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:17 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION