Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ottawa: Diplomat's daughter victim in deadly truck-bicycle collision

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Ottawa: Diplomat's daughter victim in deadly truck-bicycle collision

Old 09-02-16, 05:28 AM
  #1  
Viich
Hack
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 760

Bikes: 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), FMF Race BMX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Ottawa: Diplomat's daughter victim in deadly truck-bicycle collision

Nusrat Jahan, diplomat's daughter, identified as cyclist killed Thursday morning
23-year-old was studying accounting at Willis College and had plans to attend Carleton University


Diplomat's daughter killed by truck downtown (Ottawa)

In the Cadillac of on-street bike infrastructure, the divided bike lane. As always, I'm very disappointed in the comments section of the Ottawa Citizen.

Last edited by Viich; 09-02-16 at 05:31 AM. Reason: error in format, missed cbc link
Viich is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 07:58 AM
  #2  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,298

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6341 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 42 Posts
There was a moment of silence, followed by words from Kitchissippi Coun. Jeff Leiper.

“A woman was killed … on what is supposed to be one of our safe pieces of infrastructure,” said the councillor, who rides the route several times a week.

“I don’t want my son riding on the streets of my ward because, frankly, they’re just not safe. Enough is enough,” Leiper declared.
So I wonder what councillor Jeff Leiper is going to do, now that Enough is Enough.
genec is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 08:14 AM
  #3  
asmac
Senior Member
 
asmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,261

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
So I wonder what councillor Jeff Leiper is going to do, now that Enough is Enough.
I suppose he's going to lobby for improvements. Since he is not god but a mere city councillor, what would you expect him to do?
asmac is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 08:35 AM
  #4  
corrado33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 4,135

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assuming the picture in the 2nd link is the actual scene, looks like she got right hooked by a large truck.
corrado33 is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 08:37 AM
  #5  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,298

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6341 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac View Post
I suppose he's going to lobby for improvements. Since he is not god but a mere city councillor, what would you expect him to do?
Well indeed that would be a start... wonder what he's done in the past, regarding cyclists on public roads.
genec is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 08:54 AM
  #6  
asmac
Senior Member
 
asmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,261

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Well indeed that would be a start... wonder what he's done in the past, regarding cyclists on public roads.


Well, since the councillor "rides the route several times a week" and Ottawa is known to have a good bike infrastructure, it's reasonable to assume he's been part of creating that.

Why start out by attacking what he may or may not have done in the past? He's clearly onside and needs support of like-minded people, not distractions.
asmac is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 08:55 AM
  #7  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,298

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6341 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac View Post
Well, since the councillor "rides the route several times a week" and Ottawa is known to have a good bike infrastructure, it's reasonable to assume he's been part of creating that.

Why start out by attacking what he may or may not have done in the past? He's clearly onside and needs support of like-minded people, not distractions.
Hey, he's the one that issued the "Enough is enough" phrase... so what did he mean by that...
genec is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 09:06 AM
  #8  
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives
 
Roughstuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: In a cabin in the adirondacks
Posts: 3,165

Bikes: Fuji touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"John Kealey · Ottawa, Ontario
Without knowing the details of the accident, I can only speak about my experience as a regular cyclist. When riding alongside with buses and larger vehicles, I will never stop along side them at intersections being cognizant of the massive blind spot. Instead, I will patiently wait behind and to the right so that I can make visual contact with the driver through their mirrors.

My general advice is to always let the trucks and buses proceed first as they will always win.

My thoughts and prayers go out to this young woman, her family and the driver involved in this terrible accident."


One of the letters written (cut and paste is mine) suggests one of the big problems here: the blind spots that such vehicles have. They have cars now that provide signals to the driver if there is a vehicle in their blind spot on the left or right (the seat vibrates). Adoption of this technology would help.
Roughstuff is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 09:16 AM
  #9  
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives
 
Roughstuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: In a cabin in the adirondacks
Posts: 3,165

Bikes: Fuji touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich View Post
.....

In the Cadillac of on-street bike infrastructure, the divided bike lane. As always, I'm very disappointed in the comments section of the Ottawa Citizen.
Viich is my view of the photo correct...the bike lane is SUNK a few inches below the rest of the roadway?

When I was in parts of Japan they had a 4 inch or so concrete barrier between the roadway and a narrow shoulder. It was good enough as it goes, I suppose...but I often daydream when I am riding (no no not in the city!) and I was always afraid I would get undercut if i drifted to the right (since in Japan you ride on the left).

But doesn't this make it difficult to enter the roadway when you want to turn left, especially if there is a a left turn lane you'd want to get into?
Roughstuff is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 09:19 AM
  #10  
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,437
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 29 Posts
Enough is enough means that enough is enough.

FWIW, at that intersection east bound on Laurier there is a straight-only phase together with a walk light, followed by a green ball phase where right turns are permitted.
There's also an advanced stop line (could be more advanced) for the bicycle lane.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-02-16 at 09:24 AM.
mr_bill is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 10:58 AM
  #11  
1989Pre
Standard Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 2,732

Bikes: 2001 Raleigh M80, 1989 Raleigh Technium, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1948 P. Barnard & Son

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We need to ignore bike lanes. They lull one into a false sense of security. Ride as far-to-the-right as possible, and watch everyone ( other cyclists and pedestrians included) as though they were all on strong pain-killers or narcotics.
I hope this death was not intentional on the part of the driver because Nusrat Jahan was wearing a burka. (I wear a kufiya frequently in winter, as a scarf).
1989Pre is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 11:40 AM
  #12  
skye
Senior Member
 
skye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre View Post
Ride as far-to-the-right as possible

No. Just no.
skye is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 12:15 PM
  #13  
Chris0516
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,438

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre View Post
We need to ignore bike lanes. They lull one into a false sense of security. Ride as far-to-the-right as possible, and watch everyone ( other cyclists and pedestrians included) as though they were all on strong pain-killers or narcotics.
I hope this death was not intentional on the part of the driver because Nusrat Jahan was wearing a burka. (I wear a kufiya frequently in winter, as a scarf).
I am just going to keep 'taking the lane'. I will not ride in a bike lane, or the right 'tire track' of a vehicle.
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 12:31 PM
  #14  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,476
Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8512 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 61 Posts
There was a fairly lengthy discussion about trucks and bikes here.
http://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-s...ing-video.html

Part of the issue is teaching all road issues to be aware of the inherent issues of being around trucks on the road.

We also need better turn signal standards for visibility when next to all vehicles.

One of the ideas that came up with the China incident was adding side guards to the trucks, so pedestrians and bicycles don't get knocked over by the front of the vehicles, then swept under the rear wheels when turning.
CliffordK is online now  
Old 09-02-16, 01:12 PM
  #15  
Viich
Hack
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 760

Bikes: 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), FMF Race BMX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff View Post
Viich is my view of the photo correct...the bike lane is SUNK a few inches below the rest of the roadway?


No, I don't think so, not more than the camber of the road - road was 2 way traffic before the concrete barriers were put in to separate the bike lane.


Originally Posted by 1989Pre View Post
We need to ignore bike lanes. They lull one into a false sense of security. Ride as far-to-the-right as possible, and watch everyone ( other cyclists and pedestrians included) as though they were all on strong pain-killers or narcotics.
I hope this death was not intentional on the part of the driver because Nusrat Jahan was wearing a burka. (I wear a kufiya frequently in winter, as a scarf).


You realize this is a concrete barrier separated lane. I don't know what phase the light was at (there's a straight only before the turn right), but the 'go straight but not turn right' command is very unusual - I'm not sure what the signage is like right there.


As far as intentional, I'm pretty certain not.
Viich is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 02:58 PM
  #16  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 14,551

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
A lot of people, here and in comments sections, are focusing on the bike lane in this incident. But it is not really material to what happened, unless there was something more to this story than reported.

Inexperienced riders, and maybe even some veteran riders, are not aware of this awful fact: you cannot allow yourself to be directly beside a truck on the turn side at an intersection. Ever, whether you're both stopped, passing it or being overtaken. The driver leaves that inviting space there because when he turns, the trailer levers across it, and then suddenly there is no space. The cyclist thinks he or she is doing everything right, is where she's supposed to be, has the right of way, and everything is fine and normal until it squeezes down and there's nowhere to go. It's a big issue in London with their "lories" and narrow streets so you'd think that they'd all know, but still it happens.

Stop behind the truck, in the lane or not as you choose but behind it. Finding yourself beside one, ride up and get in front far enough that the driver can see you. Beside the truck even stopped and waiting for the light to change, with plenty of space is one of the most dangerous places we can be in.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 05:05 PM
  #17  
northernlights
Senior Member
 
northernlights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no bike lane when you are in the intersection, protected or otherwise. Too many cyclists go through an intersection without looking both ways which is not a good idea. She may have been wearing a muslim headscarf that could have contributed to the accident by hindering her lateral vision.
northernlights is offline  
Old 09-03-16, 12:20 AM
  #18  
Chris0516
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,438

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
A lot of people, here and in comments sections, are focusing on the bike lane in this incident. But it is not really material to what happened, unless there was something more to this story than reported.

Inexperienced riders, and maybe even some veteran riders, are not aware of this awful fact: you cannot allow yourself to be directly beside a truck on the turn side at an intersection. Ever, whether you're both stopped, passing it or being overtaken. The driver leaves that inviting space there because when he turns, the trailer levers across it, and then suddenly there is no space. The cyclist thinks he or she is doing everything right, is where she's supposed to be, has the right of way, and everything is fine and normal until it squeezes down and there's nowhere to go. It's a big issue in London with their "lories" and narrow streets so you'd think that they'd all know, but still it happens.

Stop behind the truck, in the lane or not as you choose but behind it. Finding yourself beside one, ride up and get in front far enough that the driver can see you. Beside the truck even stopped and waiting for the light to change, with plenty of space is one of the most dangerous places we can be in.
This goes without saying. Countless of right-hook fatalities that have been mentioned on BF(some with video), show how sharing the lane at the same point, prior to coming to an intersection, is sadly. Not the smartest thing to do.

Last edited by Chris0516; 09-03-16 at 01:01 AM.
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 09-03-16, 02:59 PM
  #19  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 14,551

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516 View Post
This goes without saying. Countless of right-hook fatalities that have been mentioned on BF(some with video), show how sharing the lane at the same point, prior to coming to an intersection, is sadly. Not the smartest thing to do.
I'm no even talking about the right hook necessarily, which goes to show that the danger isn't at all obvious event to experienced riders. You're well back from the intersection, plenty of distance from the side of the truck, and maybe you're not even moving. It's easy to not see the danger in that, and I've seen lots of cyclists in that situation. They think that they can avoid the right hook if necessary, just by hanging back enough for the truck to turn in front of them.

We don't know the full details with the diplomat's daughter, but it wouldn't be surprising if she had stopped at the light beside the truck, right where she was "supposed" to be, and had no idea of the danger she was in.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 09-03-16, 04:00 PM
  #20  
Chris0516
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,438

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
I'm no even talking about the right hook necessarily, which goes to show that the danger isn't at all obvious event to experienced riders. You're well back from the intersection, plenty of distance from the side of the truck, and maybe you're not even moving. It's easy to not see the danger in that, and I've seen lots of cyclists in that situation. They think that they can avoid the right hook if necessary, just by hanging back enough for the truck to turn in front of them.

We don't know the full details with the diplomat's daughter, but it wouldn't be surprising if she had stopped at the light beside the truck, right where she was "supposed" to be, and had no idea of the danger she was in.
Not every motorist signals their intention. Knowing that, prepares' one for the possibility.

End answer, 'take the lane'.
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 09-04-16, 11:23 AM
  #21  
Viich
Hack
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 760

Bikes: 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), FMF Race BMX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516 View Post
Not every motorist signals their intention. Knowing that, prepares' one for the possibility.

End answer, 'take the lane'.
I disagree with the 'take the lane' in ALL situations - as much as I'm a cyclist, sometimes, it's safe to pass. No reason for people not to. If required to occupy a full lane (as motorcycles are), filtering would be disallowed, and much of the traffic avoidance advantage to cycling would be gone. Also, in trying to create safe infrastructure, the city made taking the lane near impossible:

Google Street View


I'm still not sure what the first sign (furthest right in the image) means - I THINK it means right turning traffic to yield to cyclists.

FWIW, I've driven on Laurier since that bike lane went in, but I haven't biked - my business doesn't take me there often.
Viich is offline  
Old 09-05-16, 03:06 AM
  #22  
KD5NRH
Senior Member
 
KD5NRH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Stephenville TX
Posts: 3,731

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
Assuming the picture in the 2nd link is the actual scene, looks like she got right hooked by a large truck.
By thorough investigation, I discovered the following evidence to support your theory cleverly buried in the first couple of paragraphs of the story:
"It appeared the truck and the bike were both travelling eastbound when the cyclist was “right-hooked,” or struck, as the truck turned right onto Lyon and she proceeded east on Laurier."
KD5NRH is offline  
Old 09-05-16, 06:01 PM
  #23  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,566
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH View Post
By thorough investigation, I discovered the following evidence to support your theory cleverly buried in the first couple of paragraphs of the story:
"It appeared the truck and the bike were both travelling eastbound when the cyclist was “right-hooked,” or struck, as the truck turned right onto Lyon and she proceeded east on Laurier."
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Old 09-05-16, 06:34 PM
  #24  
vol
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw the following article recently about two accidents (one fatal) in NYC. What I was positively impressed by is the fact that it was published in the section "NYC Crime", and the author referred to the driver in the fatal case as "The private sanitation worker who killed Jacobs", "the sanitation driver who killed Jacobs":

Tragic city bike accidents test new Right of Way law - NY Daily News
vol is offline  
Old 09-05-16, 06:51 PM
  #25  
Viich
Hack
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 760

Bikes: 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), FMF Race BMX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by vol View Post
I saw the following article recently about two accidents (one fatal) in NYC. What I was positively impressed by is the fact that it was published in the section "NYC Crime", and the author referred to the driver in the fatal case as "The private sanitation worker who killed Jacobs", "the sanitation driver who killed Jacobs":

Tragic city bike accidents test new Right of Way law - NY Daily News
As opposed to the citizen link above, where there is a big deal being made of the truck driver being sent to therapy - rather than victim blame, we'll change who's the victim.

I have seen a driver legitimately described as a victim after killing a person, but that was after some drunk/high morons jumped a fence into the fast lane right in front of a car on a 110kph road.
Viich is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.