Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ignoring bike lane

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Ignoring bike lane

Old 10-16-16, 02:44 PM
  #1  
big chainring
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 7,248
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 311 Posts
Ignoring bike lane

In my community one of the most used roads was repaved. When it was all done the planners had added a bike lane that goes for many miles thru several suburbs. Fantastic!

I ride the road often and it does give you a sense of security, especially at high traffic volume times of day. Cars have plenty of room to pass, bikes have a nice wide lane to ride in. Fantastic!

What I have been observing lately however is cyclists not satisfied with the bike lane. They ride out in the middle of the car lane. Why? It was extremely nice of the road planners and the towns the road traverses to include a bike lane. And the pavement is new and smooth. Yet I see regularly cyclists not using it and riding out in the car lane.

Sometimes I get frustrated with the stupidity of cyclists, And the image they portray. A townie at a coffee shop along the route asked me about the way cyclists disobey the bike lane and traffic signals. I responded I don't ride that way, but there are a few cyclists that ride like outlaws and know they can get away with "taking the lane" and rude behavior.
big chainring is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 03:00 PM
  #2  
ItsJustMe
Se˝ior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,749

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Is the bike lane right alongside parked cars? If so, it's in the door zone and would be dangerous to use.

You can't "disobey" a bike lane. The presence of a bike lane does not mean that cyclists MUST use it. It's another lane for their use, just like the main traffic lanes. it's up to the discretion of the cyclist which lanes are appropriate and safe to use.

Taking the lane is not something you "get away with" - it's perfectly legal behavior and sometimes is the safest way to ride. It's like saying that a car driver is "getting away with" going the speed limit and stopping at a stop sign.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 03:02 PM
  #3  
making
Super Moderator
 
making's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greenwood Indiana
Posts: 2,803

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 505 Posts
I am not a bike lane fan. I will use them if I think they are safer, but I will also ignore them, the car doors being a very good example.
__________________
Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are
making is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 03:03 PM
  #4  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 27,531
Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17525 Post(s)
Liked 4,142 Times in 3,079 Posts
There have been raging debates about bike lanes on this site.

I personally like them, although sometimes I'll ride the white line to avoid debris if there is no traffic around, then pull right as cars approach.

I believe most safety issues with bike lanes have to do with major intersections which you should approach with caution, espeially if passing cars on the right.

Do you have car parking to the right of the bike lane? Are there cars parked to the right of the lane? That is one of the greatest complaints I've read. Here, I'll often ride in the parking lane as the parked cars are so infrequent.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 03:32 PM
  #5  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 853 Posts
Do The Twist .. Open the door with the hand furthest from The door.. It's the Dutch reach..

Then you look behind you as you open the door , Across the bike Lane..


https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-s...tch-reach.html
fietsbob is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 03:37 PM
  #6  
big chainring
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 7,248
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 311 Posts
There is no parking on this road. Newly paved, so nothing to really avoid nearer the curb. It's obnoxious cyclists "expressing" themselves.
big chainring is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 04:32 PM
  #7  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 27,079

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,528 Times in 3,156 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
In my community one of the most used roads was repaved. When it was all done the planners had added a bike lane that goes for many miles thru several suburbs. Fantastic!

I ride the road often and it does give you a sense of security, especially at high traffic volume times of day. Cars have plenty of room to pass, bikes have a nice wide lane to ride in. Fantastic!

What I have been observing lately however is cyclists not satisfied with the bike lane. They ride out in the middle of the car lane. Why? It was extremely nice of the road planners and the towns the road traverses to include a bike lane. And the pavement is new and smooth. Yet I see regularly cyclists not using it and riding out in the car lane.

Sometimes I get frustrated with the stupidity of cyclists, And the image they portray. A townie at a coffee shop along the route asked me about the way cyclists disobey the bike lane and traffic signals. I responded I don't ride that way, but there are a few cyclists that ride like outlaws and know they can get away with "taking the lane" and rude behavior.
Ask townie about those folks driving the big heavy metal things why is it that they ignore stop signs and speed limits, and if he is one of them...
genec is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 04:41 PM
  #8  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 37,169

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5024 Post(s)
Liked 1,145 Times in 668 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
....

You can't "disobey" a bike lane. The presence of a bike lane does not mean that cyclists MUST use it. It's another lane for their use, just like the main traffic lanes. it's up to the discretion of the cyclist which lanes are appropriate and safe to use.
This varies by state. Many have "must use bike lane laws". There are exceptions in most of the laws, but the basic principle is that cyclists are mandatd by law to use bike lanes where they exist.

Regardless of the law, I have mixed feelings about bike lanes and though generally not a fan, I'll use a lane if it's in good shape because it makes no sense to mark off pavement that nobody uses.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

ôNever argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.ö, George Carlin

ôOne accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinionsö - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 05:23 PM
  #9  
jeichelberg87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LaPorte, IN
Posts: 625

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
In my community one of the most used roads was repaved. When it was all done the planners had added a bike lane that goes for many miles thru several suburbs. Fantastic!

I ride the road often and it does give you a sense of security, especially at high traffic volume times of day. Cars have plenty of room to pass, bikes have a nice wide lane to ride in. Fantastic!

What I have been observing lately however is cyclists not satisfied with the bike lane. They ride out in the middle of the car lane. Why?
Did you ask them? "Hey fellas, why are you out on the road and not in the bike lane?"

Originally Posted by big chainring
It was extremely nice of the road planners and the towns the road traverses to include a bike lane. And the pavement is new and smooth. Yet I see regularly cyclists not using it and riding out in the car lane.

Sometimes I get frustrated with the stupidity of cyclists, And the image they portray. A townie at a coffee shop along the route asked me about the way cyclists disobey the bike lane and traffic signals. I responded I don't ride that way, but there are a few cyclists that ride like outlaws and know they can get away with "taking the lane" and rude behavior.
LOL!!! You are very funny!

Wow, you called the other cyclists, "outlaws." Those bastards...

Cool... Did they look like this?



Last edited by jeichelberg87; 10-16-16 at 05:28 PM.
jeichelberg87 is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 05:30 PM
  #10  
jeichelberg87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LaPorte, IN
Posts: 625

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Ask townie about those folks driving the big heavy metal things why is it that they ignore stop signs and speed limits, and if he is one of them...
Oh no...must not do that and anger the motorists...motorists good...cyclists bad...
jeichelberg87 is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 05:53 PM
  #11  
big chainring
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 7,248
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 311 Posts
Just saying the road planners, city planners, whoever, went out of there way to make this stretch of road as bicycle friendly as possible. But you still get riders that have to stand out on the road, ride two abreast where there just is not enough room, and they HAVE a bike lane to ride in.
big chainring is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 06:51 PM
  #12  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,439

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Just saying the road planners, city planners, whoever, went out of there way to make this stretch of road as bicycle friendly as possible. But you still get riders that have to stand out on the road, ride two abreast where there just is not enough room, and they HAVE a bike lane to ride in.
Send your praises to the city planners. Advise them that some cyclists aren't using them for reasons beyond your comprehension. This suggests for them to do their own study for improvements that will accommodate more cyclists.
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 06:52 PM
  #13  
ItsJustMe
Se˝ior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,749

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
This varies by state. Many have "must use bike lane laws". There are exceptions in most of the laws, but the basic principle is that cyclists are mandatd by law to use bike lanes where they exist.
It's 16% to 20% of states depending on interpretation.

State Bike Laws | League of American Bicyclists

Some state laws require use of separated facilities, but bike lanes are not separated facilities, and I think there are very few areas that have separated facilities for more than a tiny fraction of the routes one might want to take.

OK, I found 8 states that have mandatory bike lane laws on the book:
California, Florida, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, Oregon, South Carolina

Utah says that "traffic control devices may direct cyclists to use a marked side path"

Oklahoma requires bike lane use within state parks. Not anywhere else.

Nebraska repealed their mandatory lane law in April 2016.

Kansas says you have to use a "path" - whether a bike lane counts as a "path" is possibly arguable.

Georgia's state law allows local governments to impose mandatory bike lane laws within their jurisdiction but does not impose one statewide.

The rest say "(state) does not require that bicyclists use any lane or path other than a normal vehicular traffic lane."
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 07:27 PM
  #14  
ItsJustMe
Se˝ior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,749

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
There is no parking on this road. Newly paved, so nothing to really avoid nearer the curb. It's obnoxious cyclists "expressing" themselves.
Have you ridden them? There may be broken glass, sand or gravel or other hazards. I find that even if I have ridden a road and found hazards that required me to leave the bike lane, when I drive the same road later I can't see the hazards from a car.

I really don't want to excuse them if they're just trying to be critical m*******s or something, but I have seen areas where almost brand new bike lanes are not very safe.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 07:48 PM
  #15  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,644
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
big chainring; you have been on BFs since 2007 and still remain clueless about the dangers of bikelanes. And even worse, you choose to disrespect other cyclist to motorist for the cyclist safety choices.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 09:07 PM
  #16  
big chainring
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 7,248
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
big chainring; you have been on BFs since 2007 and still remain clueless about the dangers of bikelanes. And even worse, you choose to disrespect other cyclist to motorist for the cyclist safety choices.
Yes, I am appalled at the safety choices made by cyclists. It's just common sense. But that is lacking in all aspects of our society.
big chainring is offline  
Old 10-17-16, 12:49 AM
  #17  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,644
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Yes, I am appalled at the safety choices made by cyclists. It's just common sense. But that is lacking in all aspects of our society.
Here we go with the "It's just common sense." claim. Your opinion you claim to be common sense has killed many, many cyclist who also FELT safer riding in a bike lane.

You are a real slow learner if you have not learned anything about how bike lanes increase doorings, right hooks and left hooks, while at the same time not reducing hits from behind from the distracted motorist.

I hope your common sense does not kill you as well.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Old 10-17-16, 01:02 AM
  #18  
79pmooney
Senior Member
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 11,847

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4146 Post(s)
Liked 3,139 Times in 2,038 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
....

OK, I found 8 states that have mandatory bike lane laws on the book:
California, Florida, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, Oregon, South Carolina

...
Oregon Law also says that cyclists are to ride as far to the right as practicable. That often runs directly counter to staying in the bike lane. As one who had hit opening car doors, gotten many flats, some damage to bikes and crashed from bike lane debris and been hit by cars when entering intersections from the bike lane, I know from first hand experience, riding in bike lanes is often not "practicable".

Edit: I have seen parallel barred storm grates in bike lanes. The next town over has clearly marked bike lanes that lead you over three sets of closely spaced angles RR tracks. They are near impossible to cross within the bike lane on a road bike in the wet. (Google tells me Portland gets 154 days/year of measurable precipitation.) Probably half a dozen people have told me they crashed on those tracks (including my former housemate).

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 10-17-16 at 01:15 AM.
79pmooney is offline  
Old 10-17-16, 01:26 AM
  #19  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,644
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
A bike lane in big chainring's town:

Notice the small car driving on the white line. Imagine a UPS truck passing at full speed in that lane. Makes me feel so safe.
https://goo.gl/maps/z1vFZJcfgg52
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Old 10-17-16, 01:59 AM
  #20  
Chris0516
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,466

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Just because a bike lane exists. I won't use it. A separated bike lane, maybe. But then a cyclist is pigeon-holed even more in the width of the bike. Because there is two-way bike traffic in not more than a regular single bike lane.

Why, Bike lanes end for a myriad of reasons, only to continue further down the road. Also state governments' have a myriad of reasons for penalizing a cyclist for not riding in a bike lanes. Bike lanes are stupidly painted in the 'door zone' in some places.

I would rather have a motorist directly behind me. Where I can see what they are doing the whole time. Instead of having to worry about someone suddenly opening a car door, or pulling out into traffic from a parking spot.
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 10-17-16, 06:32 AM
  #21  
big chainring
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 7,248
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
A bike lane in big chainring's town:

Notice the small car driving on the white line. Imagine a UPS truck passing at full speed in that lane. Makes me feel so safe.
https://goo.gl/maps/z1vFZJcfgg52
Indeed. What more could you ask for? And you know what I do on that road in heavy traffic situations. I go up on the sidewalk, wait for all the traffic to go by, then get back on the road to continue my ride. I stay out of the way.

But this is BF and obviously my point of view on cycling based on 45 years of riding experience is invalid. Go ahead and ride your bike as if you are driving a car and "take the lane".
big chainring is offline  
Old 10-17-16, 07:17 AM
  #22  
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 5,721

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Indeed. What more could you ask for? And you know what I do on that road in heavy traffic situations. I go up on the sidewalk, wait for all the traffic to go by, then get back on the road to continue my ride. I stay out of the way.

But this is BF and obviously my point of view on cycling based on 45 years of riding experience is invalid. Go ahead and ride your bike as if you are driving a car and "take the lane".
Lets start with, bikes are vehicles too. In MA, bikes can use full lane when needed. Maybe they need to turn left? Can't do that from the right of a car. As said, road trash etc. And bikes are traffic. If you cower on the sidewalk, seems to me that would be more dangerous. What state do you live in?
Leebo is offline  
Old 10-17-16, 07:48 AM
  #23  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,805

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 1,503 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Ask townie about those folks driving the big heavy metal things why is it that they ignore stop signs and speed limits, and if he is one of them...
Perfect!
BobbyG is offline  
Old 10-17-16, 09:56 AM
  #24  
jeichelberg87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LaPorte, IN
Posts: 625

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Lets start with, bikes are vehicles too. In MA, bikes can use full lane when needed. Maybe they need to turn left? Can't do that from the right of a car. As said, road trash etc. And bikes are traffic. If you cower on the sidewalk, seems to me that would be more dangerous. What state do you live in?
He lives in Illinois.
jeichelberg87 is offline  
Old 10-17-16, 10:05 AM
  #25  
ItsJustMe
Se˝ior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,749

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Indeed. What more could you ask for? And you know what I do on that road in heavy traffic situations. I go up on the sidewalk, wait for all the traffic to go by, then get back on the road to continue my ride. I stay out of the way.
It's nice that you live in a place where the traffic eventually all goes by.

If I rode like that, I'd get to work about time to leave to go home.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.