Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

If it's dark out, use a headlight!

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

If it's dark out, use a headlight!

Old 03-17-17, 01:26 AM
  #1  
pandraztic
Member
Thread Starter
 
pandraztic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 48

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL4Expert; Giant Anyroad2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's dark out, use a headlight!

I love riding and I'm hyper paranoid for cyclists when I have to drive my cage to work. Fortunately for this cyclist I am. It was 40 minutes before sunrise and I was getting ready to turn right on to the main road when a car going the other direction passed. Thankfully it did, and illuminated the cyclist. This stretch of road has lights occasionally, but they are ancient and work poorly, so maybe he felt he had enough to see by? But as a cager, I barely saw him and I'm sure he was inwardly cursing me as just another barely awake cager, but really, I hate diving my road in the dark for that exact reason, because it is the only way to get through to downtown from up island on a bike, and it's a miserable stretch to ride because of terrible road surface. As he passed me I checked his bars and he clearly had no headlight. He did however have two taillights. I don't get the logic, but please, if it's dark use a headlight or some kind of forward illumination.
pandraztic is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 01:43 AM
  #2  
making
Senior Member
 
making's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Augusta GA
Posts: 2,715

Bikes: Road bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When my last old headlight died I was at work. I knew the road and it was pretty well lit so I had no reservations about riding home, except cars making turns in front of me. I was approaching an intersection when I seen a car coming up the other way to turn left in front of me. I expected him not to see me so I slowed and timed it out so he could go on by. He noticed me just as he was going in front of me. It scared him so bad I actually head him yell out in fright. But yea, there really is no excuse for riding at night with no headlight.
Originally Posted by pandraztic View Post
I love riding and I'm hyper paranoid for cyclists when I have to drive my cage to work. Fortunately for this cyclist I am. It was 40 minutes before sunrise and I was getting ready to turn right on to the main road when a car going the other direction passed. Thankfully it did, and illuminated the cyclist. This stretch of road has lights occasionally, but they are ancient and work poorly, so maybe he felt he had enough to see by? But as a cager, I barely saw him and I'm sure he was inwardly cursing me as just another barely awake cager, but really, I hate diving my road in the dark for that exact reason, because it is the only way to get through to downtown from up island on a bike, and it's a miserable stretch to ride because of terrible road surface. As he passed me I checked his bars and he clearly had no headlight. He did however have two taillights. I don't get the logic, but please, if it's dark use a headlight or some kind of forward illumination.
__________________
Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are
making is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 05:06 AM
  #3  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 4,382

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
ALL of my bikes have these ...... Supernova lights https://www.roadid.com/c/HighViz ........mounted with clear on front and read on rear. I am ALWAYS prepared should I get caught out at night or when the weather becomes inclement and darkens due to rain, fog, sandstorm, eclipse, tornado....... whatever.
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 07:35 AM
  #4  
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Indy, IN
Posts: 15,480

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
A reflector or reflective tape on the front can be helpful if no headlight or dead battery. But two lights is the best strategy for always having a working headlight.
__________________
RANS V3 Ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
JanMM is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 10:07 AM
  #5  
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,311

Bikes: Mecian

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems a bit like preaching to the choir here. I doubt many if any of the readers of this forum ride at night w/o lights.
howsteepisit is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 11:34 AM
  #6  
LiquorLad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
Seems a bit like preaching to the choir here. I doubt many if any of the readers of this forum ride at night w/o lights.
Yup. DUI commuters don't read BF. Or maybe their in the Living Car Free section.
LiquorLad is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 11:49 AM
  #7  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,746

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquorLad View Post
Yup. DUI commuters don't read BF. Or maybe their in the Living Car Free section.
DUI commuters may be involuntarily living car free, but I doubt if any of them are reading or posting in the Living Car Free section. More likely to find in that section puritanical teetotalers and ascetics ranting about the immoral bad habits and lifestyle choices of the non-believers.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 12:08 PM
  #8  
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,311

Bikes: Mecian

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
DUI commuters may be involuntarily living car free, but I doubt if any of them are reading or posting in the Living Car Free section. More likely to find in that section puritanical teetotalers and ascetics ranting about the immoral bad habits and lifestyle choices of the non-believers.
Hey, that's no way to write about the A&S forum.
howsteepisit is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 12:51 PM
  #9  
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,776

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't ride at night without two taillights running, and a live and a backup headlight on the front.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 01:47 PM
  #10  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,943
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by making View Post
But yea, there really is no excuse for riding at night with no headlight.
You're right, there isn't. So why did you do it??
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 02:55 PM
  #11  
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator
 
AlexCyclistRoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,208

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's a "cager"**********?
AlexCyclistRoch is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 04:25 PM
  #12  
KD5NRH
Senior Member
 
KD5NRH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Stephenville TX
Posts: 3,731

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by making View Post
When my last old headlight died I was at work.
This is why I have a "see" headlight, a "be seen" (and see just enough for maybe 12mph on good roads) headlight and a small helmet light. (I can maybe go 6-8mph on just the helmet light if I really have to.) Any one of the three is better than nothing. The "see" is a $28 triple LED thing from eBay, the "be seen" is a Bell Radian, and the helmet light is a cheap 2AAA Energizer headlamp that claims 150 lumens, but I doubt it's really over 75.
KD5NRH is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 06:00 PM
  #13  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,054

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 110 Posts
I can understand involuntarily forced transportation cyclists occasionally riding without lights. They might be caught out working late, maybe a double shift was offered or requested. No bus service after a certain hour, etc.

What gets me are the local group night rides -- clearly billed as night rides, with reminders to be prepared and appropriately equipped -- and people show up without lights. They're usually the ones who want to run the stop lights too, despite instructions from ride safety monitors.
canklecat is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 06:12 PM
  #14  
Moe Zhoost
Half way there
 
Moe Zhoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,293

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 29 Posts
I wish cars here would use their lights. If it's within 40 minutes of sunrise, 1 out of 5 cars won't bother to illuminate. They move stealthily amongst the rest and are hard to pick up in what limited vision one has during pre-dawn periods.
Moe Zhoost is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 06:33 PM
  #15  
Chris0516
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,438

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch View Post
What's a "cager"**********?
A motorist
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 07:15 PM
  #16  
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 17,559

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
I don't ride at night without two taillights running, and a live and a backup headlight on the front.
It's the only way to go. I always have thee separate head light systems.
I'm 50-70 miles from home (out and back) in the dark frequently. Maybe 40-50 at halfway when the temps are down in the teens.
With lots of snow and ice off road I'm maybe only 20 miles away but still a long time to get home. I'll be going slow on an MTB.
I have to know that the 8 hour light only goes about 7 hours when it's around 20f. We all need to think about run time in winter.
2manybikes is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 07:33 PM
  #17  
Jim from Boston
Senior Member
 
Jim from Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,699
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost View Post
I wish cars here would use their lights. If it's within 40 minutes of sunrise, 1 out of 5 cars won't bother to illuminate. They move stealthily amongst the rest and are hard to pick up in what limited vision one has during pre-dawn periods.
I have a safety aphorism, "When riding at night, look for cars, not just headlights," though I may see about one such car every two weeks or so. But those are the drivers more likely to be distracted.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-17-17 at 07:39 PM.
Jim from Boston is online now  
Old 03-17-17, 07:38 PM
  #18  
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 17,559

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
have a safety aphorism, "When riding at night, look for cars, not just headlights," though I may see about one such car every two weeks or so. But those are the drivers more likely to be distracted.
And look for "ninja" cyclists.
2manybikes is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 09:38 PM
  #19  
making
Senior Member
 
making's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Augusta GA
Posts: 2,715

Bikes: Road bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I was pointing out my mistake. At least that is how I meant it.
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You're right, there isn't. So why did you do it??
__________________
Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are
making is offline  
Old 03-18-17, 12:31 AM
  #20  
pandraztic
Member
Thread Starter
 
pandraztic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 48

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL4Expert; Giant Anyroad2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What honestly confuses me most about it is the fact that he was running TWO taillights and NO headlight. At that point, I'd move one up to the front for forward visibility! I just needed to get it out there is all. I know we all ride with it, but man. First it just scared me, but then it really made me mad when I saw he was running so many rear facing lights. It was still full dark outside with barely a hint of light on the horizon.

Sorry ya'll. Just needed to rant a little to understanding ears! Thanks!
pandraztic is offline  
Old 03-18-17, 08:29 AM
  #21  
blue192
Senior Member
 
blue192's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 370

Bikes: Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just a couple of days ago a person was run over and killed on a bike in Ottawa (driver sped off) so best thing for us to remain safe is to light yourself up like a Christmas tree at night and travel safer roads than day time.
blue192 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MXBoy11
Mountain Biking
10
10-09-11 07:27 AM
IbisTouche
Tandem Cycling
10
02-26-11 10:40 PM
kq6ee55
Bicycle Mechanics
3
06-19-10 01:00 AM
yeahbikes
Bicycle Mechanics
3
08-29-06 07:13 PM
Prozakk
Mountain Biking
33
10-30-05 09:11 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright Š 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.