Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How To Kill Someone In NYC And Get Away With It

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How To Kill Someone In NYC And Get Away With It

Old 04-29-17, 12:13 PM
  #51  
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
Thread Starter
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Posts: 37,089

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5383 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
The reason there are so many snowflake college adults and high school kids these days, too many parents follow his approach.
Again, that approach is not mine, and I don't recommend it but I don't know everyone's situation. I advocated against it in my previous life.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 04-29-17, 02:51 PM
  #52  
Chris0516
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,437

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 55murray View Post
I've been riding for over 40 years, and I am still alive because I think of myself as prey.
I don't think of myself as prey. Because that invariably means that every motorist would intentionally be gunning for me.

I think of myself as the thorn in the backside of every driver who doesn't care who they run off the road.
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 04-29-17, 07:46 PM
  #53  
_ForceD_
Senior Member
 
_ForceD_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,012

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
...some parents prohibit their adult snowflakes from cycling = advocacy issue.

Yet as a naval officer he would completely go along with enforcing identical (or evern more restrictive) restrictions of his sailors...adults as old or (much) older than my college-aged daughter...from going into certain parts of town in a liberty port overseas. And, from taking part in certain activities such as renting scooters or BICYCLES. And that's a fact. I've been there myself and know it's policy. It's just one of the things that sailors are often restricted from doing overseas. I've been there on ships, and stationed overseas and know that it happens. Not because they don't know how, but because they don't know the customs and practices of how to do it in that particular city. These are activities that respectable, perfectly young adults normally take part in. But somehow it's not allowed because young people tend to get themselves in trouble in these unfamiliar places. These are young people who are representing someone else...there wherever they are at someone else's request. It sucks but it keeps people from getting themselves in trouble. Snowflake, I doubt it. In her time in NYC she's been assaulted on the streets and kicked the ass of her (male) attacker. Again...she hasn't ridden a bicycle since she was in middle school. Yeah, she could take it upon herself and get on a bike and go riding through the streets of Manhattan. But as I've said...I don't think her riding in those conditions is wise. And since she's there on my dime...if I can prevent that in order to keep her from hurting herself...until she has the experience...well then...I believe that's my job as a parent regardless of how old she is.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 04-29-17 at 08:19 PM.
_ForceD_ is offline  
Old 04-29-17, 08:33 PM
  #54  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,561
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_ View Post
Yet as a naval officer he would completely go along with enforcing the restriction of his sailors...adults as old or (much) older than my college-aged daughter...from going into certain parts of town in a liberty port overseas. And, from taking part in certain activities such as renting scooters or BICYCLES. And that's a fact. I've been there myself and know it's policy.
Contributing such policies to me is wrong and false. As an Officer, I fought against such policies and treated sailors under me with respect and as adults. Sad you will not treat your daughter with such respect and as adult.


Originally Posted by _ForceD_ View Post
Not because they don't know how, but because they don't know the customs and practices of how to do it in that particular city. These are activities that respectable, perfectly young adults normally take part in. But somehow it's not allowed because young people tend to get themselves in trouble in these unfamiliar places.
The answer which worked for me was to perform the needed training to the sailors on the customs of the nation and cities, so they know how to behave in a manner that kept them out of trouble. We taught them the areas of the city with higher crime, to help them decide on how to take care of themselves if they entered such areas, such as not traveling through them drunk, alone or not on their guard. Too bad you will not take the time to reteach your daughter her bicycling skills. Going to town and riding with her is a great relationship building experience. I know because that is what I did with my son when he left for college in LA.

Originally Posted by _ForceD_ View Post
These are young people who are representing someone else...there are someone else's request.
Garbled transmission.

Originally Posted by _ForceD_ View Post
Snowflake, I doubt it. In her time in NYC she's been assaulted on the streets and kicked the ass of her (male) attacker.
But she cannot be trusted by you to handle riding a bicycle.

Originally Posted by _ForceD_ View Post
And since she's there on my dime...
Your slave as long as you pay for her college. Sums your issue up pretty well.

And my best Chiefs, treated the sailors under us, as I described above.

As to your previous, complaint the I do not know you - you are the one that made the first post on the issue, it is your responsibility include all of the relevant information which formulated your decision, not to come back complaining I do not know you or your daughter. But your later post make it clear I had the topic clearly pegged from the start.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Old 04-29-17, 09:03 PM
  #55  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 36,019

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guys, is there any way we can leave this to the Parents magazine forum, and go back to discussing the subject of the original post?

This side argument is unseemly, especially between 2 retired naval officers.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 04-29-17, 09:20 PM
  #56  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,561
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Guys, is there any way we can leave this to the Parents magazine forum, and go back to discussing the subject of the original post?

This side argument is unseemly, especially between 2 retired naval officers.
Can we not try to shut down open conversation. You have been doing that a lot lately.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Old 04-29-17, 09:44 PM
  #57  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 36,019

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Can we not try to shut down open conversation. You have been doing that a lot lately.
Have it your way.

I'm just pointing out that this back and forth about what's essentially a private issue -- how to raise one's daughter -- is somewhat out of place on a bike forum.

Contrary to your statement that I'm trying to shut down a conversation, I'm simply trying to keep it on topic so the mods don't shut down the entire thread.

However, nobody need listen to me, so feel free to keep it up until the thread is closed.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 04-29-17, 10:02 PM
  #58  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,561
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Have it your way.

I'm just pointing out that this back and forth about what's essentially a private issue -- how to raise one's daughter -- is somewhat out of place on a bike forum.

Contrary to your statement that I'm trying to shut down a conversation, I'm simply trying to keep it on topic so the mods don't shut down the entire thread.

However, nobody need listen to me, so feel free to keep it up until the thread is closed.
Back and forth is part of the discussion on cycling in NYC and how all cyclist should be treated. Do you believe many parents should prohibit their adult children from cycling in NYC or maybe LA.

Seems he also treated sailors in a similar manner.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Old 04-29-17, 11:56 PM
  #59  
punkinevil
Senior Member
 
punkinevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 133

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Continental, 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-13, 1977 Schwinn Superior, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Bringing things back to the original topic, this anecdote from the very same block where the the woman was killed...you know...the one that inspired the Voice article that started this thread.

EV Grieve: Reader report: A car drives in the 1st Avenue bike lane

It really illustrates the lopsided traffic enforcement in this city. Remember, police were stationed along this whole stretch of the bike lane, giving tickets to cyclists in response to that initial crash, yet none were looking/noticing this. I have seen this sort of thing happen there multiple times. Personally, I think the protected bike lines would be great IF drivers and pedestrians would stay out of them.
punkinevil is offline  
Old 05-01-17, 10:35 AM
  #60  
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
Thread Starter
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Posts: 37,089

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5383 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 69 Posts
I might give that driver the benefit of the doubt. He might not be familiar with NYC or bike lanes. Of course, I am, but last year, I was driving in Denver and parked my rental car in the bike lane. The bike lane looked totally different from our lanes, and I can't remember it to describe it properly. Luckily someone told me my error before I left the car, and I corrected it.

But I agree with your point about enforcement. It makes little sense.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
nak
Hybrid Bicycles
9
06-26-12 09:08 PM
serge163
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
15
04-30-08 11:03 AM
phazedalx
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing
9
06-21-07 02:03 PM
Jdwills
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing
1
07-24-03 07:22 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.