Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Would a self driving car world make it safe for cyclists?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Would a self driving car world make it safe for cyclists?

Old 03-20-18, 04:08 PM
  #2151  
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,928
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4325 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
For some reason we're not allowed to mount Xenon Tungsten Arc lamps on our cars, otherwise surely the shadows would have been peeled away.


What are the rules that the Uber cars use to select high vs low beams? I find constantly blinking my lights in an urban environment is a pain, but depending on traffic, this may well have been a place where the lights should have been on high.

Hopefully data analysis will come out over the next few days, weeks, or months to indicate what was visible to the computer system, what wasn't, and what should have been visible. And, if there are changes that would have brought more into view.
You're making an assumption that the "shadows" involved were in line with the headlights. I would suggest that overly simple assumptions about why the victim was unseen by both driver and car are unlikely to prove accurate.
Kontact is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:08 PM
  #2152  
Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Metro Detroit/AA
Posts: 8,207

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
A SF newspaper acting as a mouthpiece for/covering up for the Silicon Valley hand that feeds them? Nahhhh, totally implausible...

Some local AZ police chief not being the absolute best of characters? Nahhhh, who would believe that?
Certainly that is all far more likely than people willfully dismissing evidence sitting in front of their face because it doesn't fit their narrative or confirm their beliefs

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
no need to require impartial regulatory oversight hype machine.
When has anyone argued for no regulation?
jefnvk is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:10 PM
  #2153  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Far beyond the pale horizon.
Posts: 14,254
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
^^^^ Part of the conspiracy.
njkayaker is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:10 PM
  #2154  
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,956

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The police were provided with two videos. One forward facing video, and one video of human co-driver. But, there should be a lot of data relating to this incident. Perhaps taking a couple of days to pick through. When did the person first show up on the computer's sensors. Should the person have shown up earlier? When did the computer first identify the person? What preventative evasive actions were taken? When? And, evasive actions immediately before impact? When and why, or why not?

Apparently this incident is serious enough to warrant a full NHTSA investigation.
But the incident was not serious enough (after all the victim was homeless the other party the mighty AV Cartel operating with little oversight in AZ)to cause the police chief to show any self-restraint in absolving the favored party to a favored media outlet within a day and without any but the minimal information provided to her by Uber.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:11 PM
  #2155  
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,928
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4325 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I won't trust the driver's statement until it can be verified by experts of NTSB.


This is urban environment...usually enough street light and headlight, not on a dark rural road.

The news video show the street is quite well lit...with many street lights near the scene.
I'm sure that you will continue to embrace anything that confirms your bias and reject anything else until whatever point that becomes impossible.


But what we all are being told right now is that the victim was completely unseen until entering the road. The story might change, but there is more utility in treated what is offered as fact until better information comes along.
Kontact is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:14 PM
  #2156  
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,928
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4325 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
But the incident was not serious enough (after all the victim was homeless the other party the mighty AV Cartel operating with little oversight in AZ)to cause the police chief to show any self-restraint in absolving the favored party to a favored media outlet within a day and without any but the minimal information provided to her by Uber.
Sure, and there might be a range of Jewish or UN conspiracies we should probably assume as well.

Maybe an FBI cover up as well?
Kontact is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:14 PM
  #2157  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Far beyond the pale horizon.
Posts: 14,254
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Will Uber stonewall the investigator? Claiming proprietary technology rights...like Toyota did with its data recorder.
Would doing that give the government or the public sufficient confidence in Uber to be allowed to have the cars on public streets?
njkayaker is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:14 PM
  #2158  
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,956

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Will Uber stonewall the investigator? Claiming proprietary technology rights...like Toyota did with its data recorder.

I assume investigator do not have the mean to read the data...and will need Uber's technology to read and understand the information.
Maybe the investigators will need to hire the same Israeli computer whizzes that the FBI used to bypass Apple's stonewalling of their Smartphone encryption secrets.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:17 PM
  #2159  
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,956

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Would doing that give the government or the public sufficient confidence in Uber to be allowed to have the cars on public streets?
Worked for Apple, at least for awhile. But at least Apple was not protecting their own wrongdoing/malfeasance.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:20 PM
  #2160  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,977
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Does AZ require the "driver" to be behind the wheel?
__________________
nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
02Giant is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:20 PM
  #2161  
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,928
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4325 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Worked for Apple, at least for awhile. But at least Apple was not protecting their own wrongdoing/malfeasance.
Which specific wrongdoing are you referring to? Exactly what did the Uber car or driver do wrong based on the facts so far?

(I like how you brought Israelis into the discussion. Well played.)
Kontact is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:22 PM
  #2162  
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 7,927

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
It doesn't matter whose company has the car program, they'll all get lumped together like Fedex freight.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
The thing that I see when I look at Uber is that they tested without official permission on California streets and got busted when an AV ran a stop sign. That's what go them banned from California.

Cutting corners? Or just an intern slow to file paperwork?

As for the driver here … as jefnvk says, you get out of prison because strong-arm robbery doesn't work ... good time to get an honest job. And since not many people will hire a felon ... the guy Legally changed his name.

He wasn’t using a fake ID or anything. He went to court and got his name changed … probably so he could get a job.

Anyway … this is a great opportunity for the legal system to see what it can do with the reams of data afforded by the many AV sensors.

Meanwhile, Waymo is sitting pretty … if I worked there, I’d do a “Russian Hacker” campaign … hashtag-We’re the other company, hashtag-We’re not the one who killed that lady ….. flood social media with complete deniability, then respond by disavowing all the posts and playing up their much longer history of safe driving, more than twice as much testing, many years more of development ….
__________________
I don't know nothing, and I memorized it in school and got this here paper I'm proud of to show it.
Rollfast is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:22 PM
  #2163  
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 27,547
Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18345 Post(s)
Liked 4,495 Times in 3,342 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Will Uber stonewall the investigator? Claiming proprietary technology rights...like Toyota did with its data recorder.

Will federal investigators have the mean to read the on-board data?...or will they need Uber's help to read and understand the information.
One report I read indicated that the Police had taken the car to their own lab, and had not given Uber direct access to the car yet (although I wouldn't be surprised if the car has already done a wireless data transfer to Uber).

Still, it is a good point that the car's electronics are undoubtedly password protected, and the police will need cooperation from Uber to analyze the data. Perhaps even have special custom algorithms to better understand the situation.
CliffordK is online now  
Old 03-20-18, 04:23 PM
  #2164  
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,956

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I'm sure that you will continue to embrace anything that confirms your bias and reject anything else until whatever point that becomes impossible.

But what we all are being told right now is that the victim was completely unseen until entering the road. The story might change, but there is more utility in treated what is offered as fact until better information comes along.
Baloney! Who is telling that story? And why, prior to the beginning of any official investigation?

No need to ask why the AV fan-bois are so anxious to embrace/latch on to this "exclusive" version of the "story".
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:25 PM
  #2165  
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,956

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
(I like how you brought Israelis into the discussion. Well played.)
You don't know what you are talking about except your own fabricated strawman argument. Before it was just the bleating of a confirmed fan boy, now it borders on the ranting of a bigot.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:27 PM
  #2166  
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 7,927

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
C'mon kids, somebody got hit by a car and died.
__________________
I don't know nothing, and I memorized it in school and got this here paper I'm proud of to show it.
Rollfast is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:32 PM
  #2167  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Far beyond the pale horizon.
Posts: 14,254
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/1...andowski-waymo
njkayaker is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:32 PM
  #2168  
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,928
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4325 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You don't know what you are talking about except your own fabricated strawman argument. Before it was just the bleating of a confirmed fan boy, now it borders on the ranting of a bigot.
You distribute a lot of insults when you aren't ranting your conspiracy theories.


Do you find the insults actually decrease the ability of other people to continue to use their brains?
Kontact is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:33 PM
  #2169  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Far beyond the pale horizon.
Posts: 14,254
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Worked for Apple, at least for awhile. But at least Apple was not protecting their own wrongdoing/malfeasance.
???

Whatever you are hinting at, it seems like it's an example of "false equivalence".
njkayaker is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:33 PM
  #2170  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Far beyond the pale horizon.
Posts: 14,254
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/1...andowski-waymo
njkayaker is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:37 PM
  #2171  
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,956

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
C'mon kids, somebody got hit by a car and died.
That isn't the "story" being put out by the AV apologists. The "story" is a homeless woman stepped right in front of Uber AV causing the crash that killed her and there is no way that collision could have been avoided by the Uber vehicle; all blame is on the victim. That is the AV fan-bois "story" and they are sticking to it.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:40 PM
  #2172  
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,956

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
???

Whatever you are hinting at, it seems like it's an example of "false equivalence".
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattdra.../#62219fbc3b18
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:40 PM
  #2173  
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,928
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4325 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
That isn't the "story" being put out by the AV apologists. The "story" is a homeless woman stepped right in front of Uber AV causing the crash that killed her and there is no way that collision could have been avoided by the Uber vehicle; all blame is on the victim. That is the AV fan-bois "story" and they are sticking to it.
And your "story" is that anyone who disagrees with your conspiracy theories that a cover up MUST be going on is a fan boy and bigot.


Is it really so much to ask that people discuss an emerging story with reason rather than prejudice?
Kontact is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:49 PM
  #2174  
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,956

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Thanks, an interesting article. Perhaps the Uber leopard has changed its spots, perhaps not.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 03-20-18, 04:51 PM
  #2175  
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,956

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
And your "story" is that anyone who disagrees with your conspiracy theories that a cover up MUST be going on is a fan boy and bigot.


Is it really so much to ask that people discuss an emerging story with reason rather than prejudice?
Conspiracy theory is your strawman argument.

I see that the "story" is now only "emerging" and not a done deal, blame the victim, case closed "story."
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.