Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

hi-vis attire

Old 09-29-18, 01:03 PM
  #1  
Chris0516
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,434

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
hi-vis attire

I usually wear a yellow reflective thin jacket, even in the summer. But, they keep fading.

Is this just a case of bad material and/or sun exposure?

Does anyone else have this problem?
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 09-29-18, 09:20 PM
  #2  
Gresp15C
Senior Member
 
Gresp15C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,603
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Just wondering, how often do you launder it?
Gresp15C is offline  
Old 09-29-18, 09:39 PM
  #3  
Chris0516
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,434

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C View Post
Just wondering, how often do you launder it?
In the late Spring, to early Fall. After every ride. Mid-to-Late Fall(when the roads are clear) to Late Spring, once a week.
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 09-29-18, 10:44 PM
  #4  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,279

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516 View Post
I usually wear a yellow reflective thin jacket, even in the summer. But, they keep fading.

Is this just a case of bad material and/or sun exposure?

Does anyone else have this problem?
After two years my orange hi viz jersey is faded on the outside, but not the inside, so in my case it is probably fading from the Sun ( I'm at 6500 feet).
BobbyG is offline  
Old 09-30-18, 05:03 AM
  #5  
Viich
Hack
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 743

Bikes: 88 Bianchi Strada, 90's Giant Innova winter bike with drop bars, DeVinci CX monocoque, Cannondale F-400

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I buy my high visibility shirts, hoodies, etc at the same stores that sell to construction workers. Much cheaper, last quite well
Viich is offline  
Old 09-30-18, 10:27 AM
  #6  
berner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bristol, R. I.
Posts: 3,363

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I always wear some sort of high Vis shirt. On longer rides it's a standard cut cycling jersey. For casual rides around town I have several high Vis tees from Wallmart that were cheap.
berner is offline  
Old 09-30-18, 01:45 PM
  #7  
Chris0516
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,434

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
After two years my orange hi viz jersey is faded on the outside, but not the inside, so in my case it is probably fading from the Sun ( I'm at 6500 feet).
Ok, I am near sea level. Still have sun exposure.
Originally Posted by Viich View Post
I buy my high visibility shirts, hoodies, etc at the same stores that sell to construction workers. Much cheaper, last quite well
I have a bunch of short-sleeve hi-vis jerseys. My hi-vis windbreaker, helped. In keeping my jerseys from fading, and protecting my arms from the sun.

Where would I find attire specific to construction workers.
Originally Posted by berner View Post
I always wear some sort of high Vis shirt. On longer rides it's a standard cut cycling jersey. For casual rides around town I have several high Vis tees from Wallmart that were cheap.
I have a number of hi-vis cycling jerseys. But I wear a hi-vis windbreaker on top of that.
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 10-01-18, 04:03 PM
  #8  
noisebeam
Al
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 14,603

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3272 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Safety shirts, safety clothing, safety vests , reflective shirts, safety jackets, Traffic Safety Gloves

I use their h-vis T-shirts which don't fade (or fade so little it can only be noticed after years of use comparing to a new one)
noisebeam is online now  
Old 10-01-18, 06:04 PM
  #9  
Chris0516
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,434

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Safety shirts, safety clothing, safety vests , reflective shirts, safety jackets, Traffic Safety Gloves

I use their h-vis T-shirts which don't fade (or fade so little it can only be noticed after years of use comparing to a new one)
Thanks heaps!!!!!
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 10-01-18, 06:22 PM
  #10  
noisebeam
Al
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 14,603

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3272 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516 View Post
Thanks heaps!!!!!
I learned about alertshirt here on BF over 14 years ago
How To Be More Noticeable
noisebeam is online now  
Old 10-01-18, 07:37 PM
  #11  
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516 View Post
In the late Spring, to early Fall. After every ride. Mid-to-Late Fall(when the roads are clear) to Late Spring, once a week.

that seems rather EXTREEM to me. Does it really get that dirty to need that much washing?
Bmach is offline  
Old 10-01-18, 08:04 PM
  #12  
Chris0516
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,434

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach View Post
that seems rather EXTREEM to me. Does it really get that dirty to need that much washing?
Agreed. But I sweat a lot on rides.
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 10-01-18, 08:18 PM
  #13  
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Why not get hi-vis cycling jerseys along with hi-vis socks?
Bmach is offline  
Old 10-01-18, 09:42 PM
  #14  
noisebeam
Al
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 14,603

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3272 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
For my commute I primarily wear PI hi-vis socks, PI shorts w/hi-vis green patch and a ANSI lime alertshirt T-shirt.
The hi vis socks and shorts are new in the last 6mo. Prior and still alternating I use black shorts or black with white cuffs and white socks.
noisebeam is online now  
Old 10-01-18, 09:47 PM
  #15  
noisebeam
Al
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 14,603

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3272 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
The hi vis yellow or lime fades in some material and not for others. Also likely depends on dyes used and if surface coated or colored materials
The hi vis faded very quickly on PI gloves with hi-vis patch.
noisebeam is online now  
Old 10-01-18, 09:55 PM
  #16  
lkoyanagi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 97

Bikes: Tern D7e

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516 View Post
I usually wear a yellow reflective thin jacket, even in the summer. But, they keep fading.

Is this just a case of bad material and/or sun exposure?

Does anyone else have this problem?
Die doesnt adhere well some synthetics in the first place. It fades more when you wash it in warm-hot water. It weakens more if dried in a dryer or subjected to wash and dryer chemicals.

White is high visibility, not just the neons. White is great at dusk and night. They make white t-shirts and high vis neon.

Try a cotton or cotton-polyester blend neon jacket. Color may last longer, if washed in Cold water and damp dried on Low or line dried. Do everything you can to preserve color of neon. White is more flexible. I would hand wash all neons in light soapy cold water.

Last edited by lkoyanagi; 10-01-18 at 09:59 PM.
lkoyanagi is offline  
Old 10-06-18, 08:13 PM
  #17  
Chris0516
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,434

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach View Post
Why not get hi-vis cycling jerseys along with hi-vis socks?
I do have a bunch of hi-vis cycling jerseys. I have been concerned about them, also fading. Which, in addition to shielding my arms from the sun. Is why I wear a windbreaker on top of them.
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
For my commute I primarily wear PI hi-vis socks, PI shorts w/hi-vis green patch and a ANSI lime alertshirt T-shirt.
The hi vis socks and shorts are new in the last 6mo. Prior and still alternating I use black shorts or black with white cuffs and white socks.
Are they from the same link you gave me?
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
The hi vis yellow or lime fades in some material and not for others. Also likely depends on dyes used and if surface coated or colored materials
The hi vis faded very quickly on PI gloves with hi-vis patch.
This is another concern. Because, While my windbreaker didn't make me hot, it is the one that faded. A family member gave me a reflective coat. That while potentially good in rain, and doesn't look like it will fade. The coat is definitely not a windbreaker. It is also bulky. I only kept it because of how much the family member spent on it. But it is not a good cardio workout on the bike.

Originally Posted by lkoyanagi View Post
Die doesnt adhere well some synthetics in the first place. It fades more when you wash it in warm-hot water. It weakens more if dried in a dryer or subjected to wash and dryer chemicals.

White is high visibility, not just the neons. White is great at dusk and night. They make white t-shirts and high vis neon.

Try a cotton or cotton-polyester blend neon jacket. Color may last longer, if washed in Cold water and damp dried on Low or line dried. Do everything you can to preserve color of neon. White is more flexible. I would hand wash all neons in light soapy cold water.
I will make note of that.

Last edited by Chris0516; 10-07-18 at 12:24 PM.
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 10-07-18, 06:04 AM
  #18  
Viich
Hack
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 743

Bikes: 88 Bianchi Strada, 90's Giant Innova winter bike with drop bars, DeVinci CX monocoque, Cannondale F-400

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lkoyanagi View Post
.....
White is high visibility, not just the neons. White is great at dusk and night. They make white t-shirts and high vis neon.
.....
Just want to mention, white is NOT high visibility if snow is falling or even just covering. I mainly just use high-vis in the winter when I'm riding to and from work in the dark.
Viich is offline  
Old 10-08-18, 12:51 PM
  #19  
lkoyanagi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 97

Bikes: Tern D7e

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich View Post
Just want to mention, white is NOT high visibility if snow is falling or even just covering. I mainly just use high-vis in the winter when I'm riding to and from work in the dark.
I said ,"white not just neons." Be guided by common sense or lack thereof, seasonally.
lkoyanagi is offline  
Old 10-08-18, 01:45 PM
  #20  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 22,688

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
why wash a jacket? don't the layer/s under it collect your sweat, etc?
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 10-08-18, 02:36 PM
  #21  
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL
 
1nterceptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NEW YORK, NY - USA
Posts: 4,734

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516 View Post
I usually wear a yellow reflective thin jacket, even in the summer. But, they keep fading.

Is this just a case of bad material and/or sun exposure?

Does anyone else have this problem?
Are you talking about the whole garment's color fading or the reflective elements(usually 3M);
or both? Illuminite jacket over 5 years old; no fading on any part:

TEMP, 22F or -5C by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
__________________
One day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20X43026ukY&list=UUHyRS8bRu6zPoymgKaIoDLA&index=1
1nterceptor is online now  
Old 10-09-18, 09:32 PM
  #22  
Chris0516
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,434

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor View Post
Are you talking about the whole garment's color fading or the reflective elements(usually 3M);
or both? Illuminite jacket over 5 years old; no fading on any part:

TEMP, 22F or -5C by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Whole jacket.
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 10-10-18, 06:41 AM
  #23  
stilltheoptimis
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reflective tape jackets have become pretty popular around me.
stilltheoptimis is offline  
Old 10-10-18, 08:05 AM
  #24  
Hoopdriver
On Holiday
 
Hoopdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,063

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Safety shirts, safety clothing, safety vests , reflective shirts, safety jackets, Traffic Safety Gloves

I use their h-vis T-shirts which don't fade (or fade so little it can only be noticed after years of use comparing to a new one)
I buy from Alert Shirts too. Good stuff at an excellent price. And when I wear it while cycling, the white vans with ladders atop think I am a fellow construction worker and give me a lot of space.
Hoopdriver is offline  
Old 10-10-18, 10:01 AM
  #25  
KraneXL
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,081

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 36 Posts
I hate construction site vests. They all fade with time. There is cycling specific apparel with 3M piping but its expensive.
KraneXL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.