Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/)
-   -   Child struck and killed by delivery van. (https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/1208809-child-struck-killed-delivery-van.html)

Joe Bikerider 07-29-20 09:04 AM

Child struck and killed by delivery van.
 
https://news24-680.com/2020/07/28/ch...yette-tuesday/

This happened right near a local elementary school. Amazon, UPS, Fedex, etc vans are all running around the neighborhoods. And these companies are all advertising for drivers, no experience necessary. Very sad.

fietsbob 07-29-20 01:01 PM

Bombed by drones from the air really sucks..

CB HI 07-29-20 02:27 PM


was struck by a delivery driver
A news article that finally gets that part of the story correct!
Very sad another fellow cyclist is taken.

Leisesturm 07-29-20 03:50 PM


Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 21613762)
A news article that finally gets that part of the story correct!
Very sad another fellow cyclist is taken.

I guess you can't imagine that it could have been the kids fault, in part, or in total. Or maybe it was just one of those situations that are just tragic. The facts are very thin on the ground in that story. Way too little there to justify your reaction.

Joe Bikerider 07-29-20 05:55 PM

That story has changed, more details have been added since I originally posted it. Added were the company, Amazon, and the victim’s name. There are a lot of people who love Amazon for whatever reason. I personally think they are destroying the world and dislike them a lot.

CB HI 07-29-20 08:32 PM


Originally Posted by Leisesturm (Post 21613929)
I guess you can't imagine that it could have been the kids fault, in part, or in total. Or maybe it was just one of those situations that are just tragic. The facts are very thin on the ground in that story. Way too little there to justify your reaction.

Most articles are written as if the motor vehicle was under it's own control and did not have a driver. The original version of this story clearly said "was struck by a delivery driver". And then the article is changed to blame the truck for the collision. I guess you cannot ever imagine that some stories can be written with straight english noting that a delivery truck is in fact controlled by a driver.

You should note my post made no claims of who was at fault. Even if the driver of the truck hits the cyclist, there may be fault with the cyclist, but you just want to deride other posters without any real basis.

rydabent 07-30-20 09:20 AM

Doubly bad when it is a child. Im sure Amazon will pay thru the nose, but money will never replace the child.

Daniel4 07-30-20 09:36 AM

In the thread titled "Do you record?", I posted what my camera had recorded with a FedEx delivery truck making a dangerous move in an intersection.

I wrote a complaint in Fedex's website under PR. When they got back to me at my e-mail address, I sent my photos to them.

So I hope complaints like mine make drivers of commercial vehicles know that they are being watched.

Leisesturm 07-30-20 10:38 AM


Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 21614373)
Most articles are written as if the motor vehicle was under it's own control and did not have a driver. The original version of this story clearly said "was struck by a delivery driver". And then the article is changed to blame the truck for the collision. I guess you cannot ever imagine that some stories can be written with straight english noting that a delivery truck is in fact controlled by a driver.

You should note my post made no claims of who was at fault. Even if the driver of the truck hits the cyclist, there may be fault with the cyclist, but you just want to deride other posters without any real basis.

Savor this small, pointless and hollow validation, because it surely will happen again that someone will say "_________ was struck by a delivery van" and fail to point out to readers that the van was in fact (and must have been) operated by a delivery van driver. If that really was all you had then you needed some deriding. I am happy that I could be of service.

CB HI 07-30-20 01:23 PM


Originally Posted by Leisesturm (Post 21615162)
Savor this small, pointless and hollow validation, because it surely will happen again that someone will say "_________ was struck by a delivery van" and fail to point out to readers that the van was in fact (and must have been) operated by a delivery van driver. If that really was all you had then you needed some deriding. I am happy that I could be of service.

You really hate having your assumptions shown to be wrong. Oh well.

Chistophe516 07-30-20 02:14 PM

May he rest in peace.

Joe Bikerider 07-30-20 03:01 PM

Further information from the local newspaper this morning. The Amazon van was parked and the kid plowed into it coming down a hill. Still sad. I’ll leave it to you to continue arguments.

Miele Man 07-30-20 03:34 PM


Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider (Post 21615686)
Further information from the local newspaper this morning. The Amazon van was parked and the kid plowed into it coming down a hill. Still sad. I’ll leave it to you to continue arguments.

So, the news headline was false as was the title of this thread.

Source for the update please?

Cheers

Joe Bikerider 07-30-20 04:38 PM

https://www.ktvu.com/news/sheriff-id...delivery-truck

as far as the headline/title being “false”. Those were set by the facts at the time. Are You trying to make a fake news story story? Haha

Miele Man 07-30-20 05:42 PM


Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider (Post 21615872)
https://www.ktvu.com/news/sheriff-id...delivery-truck

as far as the headline/title being “false”. Those were set by the facts at the time. Are You trying to make a fake news story story? Haha

Nope. I just like to see accuracy in reporting and in headlines.

Cheers

Joe Bikerider 07-30-20 06:26 PM

Perhaps you may be able to satisfy your needs on another planet? Here we are restricted by the passing of time. Bye

CB HI 07-31-20 01:48 PM

So even when the news seemed to contain a nugget of clarity, in the end, it just proved to be even futher off track.
Story "driverless amazon van got hit by child cyclist".

livedarklions 08-07-20 04:18 AM


Originally Posted by Leisesturm (Post 21615162)
Savor this small, pointless and hollow validation, because it surely will happen again that someone will say "_________ was struck by a delivery van" and fail to point out to readers that the van was in fact (and must have been) operated by a delivery van driver. If that really was all you had then you needed some deriding. I am happy that I could be of service.


Gotta say, I think everyone including your self would be better off if you did less deriding and more of the riding.

You got busted criticizing someone for something he didn't say. Joke's on you.

livedarklions 08-07-20 04:25 AM


Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider (Post 21615872)
https://www.ktvu.com/news/sheriff-id...delivery-truck

as far as the headline/title being “false”. Those were set by the facts at the time. Are You trying to make a fake news story story? Haha

The story you linked doesn't actually say that the truck was parked. We have no way of knowing what happened, the driver could have pulled to the right and stopped suddenly, for example.

livedarklions 08-07-20 01:51 PM


Originally Posted by HD3andMe (Post 21628501)
Actually, we do have a way of knowing what happened.

Contra Costa Fire was doing training at the elementary school and talked with the kid about a half hour before the accident. The kid asked if there was a fire.
Shortly after the ConFire unit left the scene, and as they were on the way back to the station, they got a call about a child colliding with a parked vehicle, took the call and returned.
Police were first on scene and doing CPR ("pretty good job actually for cops")
ConFire took over and tried to stabilize him until the ambulance arrived.
He was in really bad shape with traumatic damage to his face and the side of his head.
He was loaded into the ambulance and subsequently passed at the hospital.

New facts, not in the story I was talking about when I said that.

Anyway, I still don';t get the point of these threads, the last thing I'm going to do is try to figure out the fault or not of a dead 10 year old. I'm sure we all feel bad for his family and let's leave it at that.

mr_bill 08-07-20 03:00 PM


Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21628658)
New facts, not in the story I was talking about when I said that.

Be careful. There are no "new facts" here. Only conjecture.

(Have we NOT yet learned that calls to 911 may be, er, less than accurate? That COMPANY statements may be less than accurate?)

We won't have FACTS for months, if not years.

Is it possible that a child crashed into the back of a parked Amazon van? Why, yes, yes it is. It's also possible that they didn't.

-mr. bill

mr_bill 08-07-20 03:20 PM


Originally Posted by HD3andMe (Post 21628826)
Nope, you're wrong.

What I posted are facts, not conjecture.

Facts directly from someone who was the second on scene, as told to me last weekend. Then I read this thread and was astounded by the title, hence my reply.

First, er, second responders are omniscient? IDNKT.

(Mad swerves and all that.)

-mr. bill


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:31 PM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.