Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Child struck and killed by delivery van.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Child struck and killed by delivery van.

Old 07-29-20, 09:04 AM
  #1  
Joe Bikerider
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 504

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Biria Easy Boarding 8, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 73 Posts
Child struck and killed by delivery van.

https://news24-680.com/2020/07/28/ch...yette-tuesday/

This happened right near a local elementary school. Amazon, UPS, Fedex, etc vans are all running around the neighborhoods. And these companies are all advertising for drivers, no experience necessary. Very sad.
Joe Bikerider is offline  
Old 07-29-20, 01:01 PM
  #2  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 798 Posts
Bombed by drones from the air really sucks..
fietsbob is offline  
Old 07-29-20, 02:27 PM
  #3  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,606
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 30 Posts
was struck by a delivery driver
A news article that finally gets that part of the story correct!
Very sad another fellow cyclist is taken.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Likes For CB HI:
Old 07-29-20, 03:50 PM
  #4  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,443
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
A news article that finally gets that part of the story correct!
Very sad another fellow cyclist is taken.
I guess you can't imagine that it could have been the kids fault, in part, or in total. Or maybe it was just one of those situations that are just tragic. The facts are very thin on the ground in that story. Way too little there to justify your reaction.
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 07-29-20, 05:55 PM
  #5  
Joe Bikerider
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 504

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Biria Easy Boarding 8, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 73 Posts
That story has changed, more details have been added since I originally posted it. Added were the company, Amazon, and the victim’s name. There are a lot of people who love Amazon for whatever reason. I personally think they are destroying the world and dislike them a lot.
Joe Bikerider is offline  
Old 07-29-20, 08:32 PM
  #6  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,606
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I guess you can't imagine that it could have been the kids fault, in part, or in total. Or maybe it was just one of those situations that are just tragic. The facts are very thin on the ground in that story. Way too little there to justify your reaction.
Most articles are written as if the motor vehicle was under it's own control and did not have a driver. The original version of this story clearly said "was struck by a delivery driver". And then the article is changed to blame the truck for the collision. I guess you cannot ever imagine that some stories can be written with straight english noting that a delivery truck is in fact controlled by a driver.

You should note my post made no claims of who was at fault. Even if the driver of the truck hits the cyclist, there may be fault with the cyclist, but you just want to deride other posters without any real basis.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Likes For CB HI:
Old 07-30-20, 09:20 AM
  #7  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,183

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 189 Posts
Doubly bad when it is a child. Im sure Amazon will pay thru the nose, but money will never replace the child.
rydabent is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 09:36 AM
  #8  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,430

Bikes: Sekini 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 102 Posts
In the thread titled "Do you record?", I posted what my camera had recorded with a FedEx delivery truck making a dangerous move in an intersection.

I wrote a complaint in Fedex's website under PR. When they got back to me at my e-mail address, I sent my photos to them.

So I hope complaints like mine make drivers of commercial vehicles know that they are being watched.

Last edited by Daniel4; 07-30-20 at 09:54 AM.
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 10:38 AM
  #9  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,443
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Most articles are written as if the motor vehicle was under it's own control and did not have a driver. The original version of this story clearly said "was struck by a delivery driver". And then the article is changed to blame the truck for the collision. I guess you cannot ever imagine that some stories can be written with straight english noting that a delivery truck is in fact controlled by a driver.

You should note my post made no claims of who was at fault. Even if the driver of the truck hits the cyclist, there may be fault with the cyclist, but you just want to deride other posters without any real basis.
Savor this small, pointless and hollow validation, because it surely will happen again that someone will say "_________ was struck by a delivery van" and fail to point out to readers that the van was in fact (and must have been) operated by a delivery van driver. If that really was all you had then you needed some deriding. I am happy that I could be of service.
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 01:23 PM
  #10  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,606
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Savor this small, pointless and hollow validation, because it surely will happen again that someone will say "_________ was struck by a delivery van" and fail to point out to readers that the van was in fact (and must have been) operated by a delivery van driver. If that really was all you had then you needed some deriding. I am happy that I could be of service.
You really hate having your assumptions shown to be wrong. Oh well.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 02:14 PM
  #11  
Chistophe516
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Pittsboro, NC
Posts: 45

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
May he rest in peace.
Chistophe516 is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 03:01 PM
  #12  
Joe Bikerider
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 504

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Biria Easy Boarding 8, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 73 Posts
Further information from the local newspaper this morning. The Amazon van was parked and the kid plowed into it coming down a hill. Still sad. I’ll leave it to you to continue arguments.
Joe Bikerider is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 03:34 PM
  #13  
Miele Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,187

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider View Post
Further information from the local newspaper this morning. The Amazon van was parked and the kid plowed into it coming down a hill. Still sad. I’ll leave it to you to continue arguments.
So, the news headline was false as was the title of this thread.

Source for the update please?

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 04:38 PM
  #14  
Joe Bikerider
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 504

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Biria Easy Boarding 8, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 73 Posts
https://www.ktvu.com/news/sheriff-id...delivery-truck

as far as the headline/title being “false”. Those were set by the facts at the time. Are You trying to make a fake news story story? Haha
Joe Bikerider is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 05:42 PM
  #15  
Miele Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,187

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider View Post
https://www.ktvu.com/news/sheriff-id...delivery-truck

as far as the headline/title being “false”. Those were set by the facts at the time. Are You trying to make a fake news story story? Haha
Nope. I just like to see accuracy in reporting and in headlines.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-30-20, 06:26 PM
  #16  
Joe Bikerider
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 504

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Biria Easy Boarding 8, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 73 Posts
Perhaps you may be able to satisfy your needs on another planet? Here we are restricted by the passing of time. Bye
Joe Bikerider is offline  
Old 07-31-20, 01:48 PM
  #17  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,606
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 30 Posts
So even when the news seemed to contain a nugget of clarity, in the end, it just proved to be even futher off track.
Story "driverless amazon van got hit by child cyclist".
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Old 08-06-20, 08:06 PM
  #18  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider View Post
Perhaps you may be able to satisfy your needs on another planet? Here we are restricted by the passing of time. Bye
Nowhere in the original news24-680 report dated 7/28 does it say that the child was struck and killed by the van.

Where did you come up with "Child struck and killed by delivery van."?
HD3andMe is offline  
Old 08-07-20, 04:18 AM
  #19  
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,717

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3982 Post(s)
Liked 2,817 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Savor this small, pointless and hollow validation, because it surely will happen again that someone will say "_________ was struck by a delivery van" and fail to point out to readers that the van was in fact (and must have been) operated by a delivery van driver. If that really was all you had then you needed some deriding. I am happy that I could be of service.

Gotta say, I think everyone including your self would be better off if you did less deriding and more of the riding.

You got busted criticizing someone for something he didn't say. Joke's on you.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 08-07-20, 04:25 AM
  #20  
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,717

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3982 Post(s)
Liked 2,817 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider View Post
https://www.ktvu.com/news/sheriff-id...delivery-truck

as far as the headline/title being “false”. Those were set by the facts at the time. Are You trying to make a fake news story story? Haha
The story you linked doesn't actually say that the truck was parked. We have no way of knowing what happened, the driver could have pulled to the right and stopped suddenly, for example.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-07-20, 12:26 PM
  #21  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
We have no way of knowing what happened,
Actually, we do have a way of knowing what happened.

Contra Costa Fire was doing training at the elementary school and talked with the kid about a half hour before the accident. The kid asked if there was a fire.
Shortly after the ConFire unit left the scene, and as they were on the way back to the station, they got a call about a child colliding with a parked vehicle, took the call and returned.
Police were first on scene and doing CPR ("pretty good job actually for cops")
ConFire took over and tried to stabilize him until the ambulance arrived.
He was in really bad shape with traumatic damage to his face and the side of his head.
He was loaded into the ambulance and subsequently passed at the hospital.
HD3andMe is offline  
Old 08-07-20, 01:51 PM
  #22  
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,717

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3982 Post(s)
Liked 2,817 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe View Post
Actually, we do have a way of knowing what happened.

Contra Costa Fire was doing training at the elementary school and talked with the kid about a half hour before the accident. The kid asked if there was a fire.
Shortly after the ConFire unit left the scene, and as they were on the way back to the station, they got a call about a child colliding with a parked vehicle, took the call and returned.
Police were first on scene and doing CPR ("pretty good job actually for cops")
ConFire took over and tried to stabilize him until the ambulance arrived.
He was in really bad shape with traumatic damage to his face and the side of his head.
He was loaded into the ambulance and subsequently passed at the hospital.
New facts, not in the story I was talking about when I said that.

Anyway, I still don';t get the point of these threads, the last thing I'm going to do is try to figure out the fault or not of a dead 10 year old. I'm sure we all feel bad for his family and let's leave it at that.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 08-07-20, 03:00 PM
  #23  
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,218
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
New facts, not in the story I was talking about when I said that.
Be careful. There are no "new facts" here. Only conjecture.

(Have we NOT yet learned that calls to 911 may be, er, less than accurate? That COMPANY statements may be less than accurate?)

We won't have FACTS for months, if not years.

Is it possible that a child crashed into the back of a parked Amazon van? Why, yes, yes it is. It's also possible that they didn't.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-07-20 at 03:09 PM.
mr_bill is offline  
Old 08-07-20, 03:19 PM
  #24  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
Be careful. There are no "new facts" here. Only conjecture.

(Have we NOT yet learned that calls to 911 may be, er, less than accurate? That COMPANY statements may be less than accurate?)

We won't have FACTS for months, if not years.

Is it possible that a child crashed into the back of a parked Amazon van? Why, yes, yes it is. It's also possible that they didn't.

-mr. bill
Nope, you're wrong.

What I posted are facts, not conjecture.

Facts directly from someone who was the second on scene, as told to me last weekend. Then I read this thread and was astounded by the title, hence my reply.
HD3andMe is offline  
Old 08-07-20, 03:20 PM
  #25  
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,218
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe View Post
Nope, you're wrong.

What I posted are facts, not conjecture.

Facts directly from someone who was the second on scene, as told to me last weekend. Then I read this thread and was astounded by the title, hence my reply.
First, er, second responders are omniscient? IDNKT.

(Mad swerves and all that.)

-mr. bill
mr_bill is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.