Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Site to report dangerous drivers

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Site to report dangerous drivers

Old 09-02-20, 08:00 AM
  #1  
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero
Thread Starter
 
Digger Goreman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Decatur, GA (Metro Atlanta, East)
Posts: 953

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "Frankentrek"/"Camel-Trek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 209 Posts
Site to report dangerous drivers

While it seems that CloseCalls website may be down, there is a site that is a "Find by Plate Number" type that does have a section to report dangerous drivers. At least there can be some record and narrative if needed in the future.

https://findbyplate.com/US/GA/QBI8442/add-report/
Digger Goreman is offline  
Old 09-02-20, 09:33 AM
  #2  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked 1,765 Times in 831 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman View Post
While it seems that CloseCalls website may be down, there is a site that is a "Find by Plate Number" type that does have a section to report dangerous drivers. At least there can be some record and narrative if needed in the future.

https://findbyplate.com/US/GA/QBI8442/add-report/

I think the best place to report dangerous drivers is to your local police dept.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-02-20, 10:56 AM
  #3  
Milton Keynes
Senior Member
 
Milton Keynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,184

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
I think the best place to report dangerous drivers is to your local police dept.
Yes and no. If someone's being a menace to other road users, by all means report them. But just don't be surprised if nothing happens. Like the old saying goes, there's never a cop around when you need one. Just the other evening someone was running a quad 4-wheeler (bigger than a standard 4-wheeler, like a car but open and smaller) up & down the street in front of our house at probably 50 MPH. Of course they were long gone and probably parked by the time the sheriff's deputy showed up. I don't blame the police, they're often understaffed and dealing with higher priority calls, and driving complaints are low-priority. So yeah, if they happen to be in the area and catch them, good. But I don't expect miracles. And often even if they find the offending vehicle but they're not driving recklessly when the police see them, there's little they can do.
Milton Keynes is offline  
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-02-20, 10:58 AM
  #4  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 28,047
Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12087 Post(s)
Liked 4,010 Times in 2,110 Posts
There’s an A&S forum for that.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-02-20, 11:29 AM
  #5  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked 1,765 Times in 831 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes View Post
Yes and no. If someone's being a menace to other road users, by all means report them. But just don't be surprised if nothing happens. Like the old saying goes, there's never a cop around when you need one. Just the other evening someone was running a quad 4-wheeler (bigger than a standard 4-wheeler, like a car but open and smaller) up & down the street in front of our house at probably 50 MPH. Of course they were long gone and probably parked by the time the sheriff's deputy showed up. I don't blame the police, they're often understaffed and dealing with higher priority calls, and driving complaints are low-priority. So yeah, if they happen to be in the area and catch them, good. But I don't expect miracles. And often even if they find the offending vehicle but they're not driving recklessly when the police see them, there's little they can do.
I agree with each of your points. I should add that, if possible, having the motorist's license plate number can help. At least once (that I can recall), an officer took that info from me and went to the motorist's home to have a chat about the rules of the road. But, yeah, in a busier city, and/or a different police officer, perhaps nothing would've come of it.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-02-20, 12:14 PM
  #6  
sarhog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Greer, SC
Posts: 139

Bikes: Canyon Grail, Salsa Cutthroat, Santa Cruz Tallboy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman View Post
While it seems that CloseCalls website may be down, there is a site that is a "Find by Plate Number" type that does have a section to report dangerous drivers. At least there can be some record and narrative if needed in the future.

https://findbyplate.com/US/GA/QBI8442/add-report/
What do you hope to accomplish by “reporting” dangerous drivers to a website such as this?
sarhog is offline  
Old 09-02-20, 12:19 PM
  #7  
BoraxKid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 102 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
What do you hope to accomplish by “reporting” dangerous drivers to a website such as this?
Too often, dangerous drivers are let off with inadequate penalties because it's their first time in court.

By reporting dangerous drivers, a record will exist of their dangerous activities. Should one of those drivers end up in court, their record would establish that the dangerous driver has a documented history of driving dangerously. This can lead to stiffer penalties, since the record will show a pattern of behavior, and it (hopefully) prevents a dangerous driver from being given leniency.
BoraxKid is offline  
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 09-02-20, 12:27 PM
  #8  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 2,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 198 Posts
get a bicycle mounted vid recorder. easier to provide actual evidence if something occurs.
Troul is offline  
Old 09-02-20, 12:57 PM
  #9  
Notso_fastLane
Senior Member
 
Notso_fastLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Layton, UT
Posts: 1,466

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 324 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
get a bicycle mounted vid recorder. easier to provide actual evidence if something occurs.
This is true. It's also true that having a centralized database would be nice (the closecalldatabase used to do this). On at least one occasion, law enforcement was given multiple recorded incidences of a single car doing close passes and harrassing cyclists, after the driver claimed his actions were accidental and it was the first time.... I think the actual case I read about was in Britian.

The Cycliq website is nice, but I don't know if they are willing to allow anyone to upload videos, or only Cycliq users.
Notso_fastLane is offline  
Old 09-02-20, 12:59 PM
  #10  
u235
Senior Member
 
u235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid View Post
Too often, dangerous drivers are let off with inadequate penalties because it's their first time in court.

By reporting dangerous drivers, a record will exist of their dangerous activities. Should one of those drivers end up in court, their record would establish that the dangerous driver has a documented history of driving dangerously. This can lead to stiffer penalties, since the record will show a pattern of behavior, and it (hopefully) prevents a dangerous driver from being given leniency.
LOL, vigilante justice. No court considers random unverified unaccountable uncontested one sided reports from a random website and I'm infinitely happy they don't. Would you even want them to consider that as evidence of something? You haven't thought that through and the OBVIOUS abuse this could cause.
You'll get as much response as calling the number on the back of a work truck to tell them their driver cut you off. You know who calls those? People that mainly got frustrated and did not like what you did and think they can "get you" and want to do nothing else in the next few minutes but report you risking their own driving talking on the phone in traffic and spending valuable brain cycles reliving how frustrated they are. It has NOTHING to do with actual danger and legality. Do you know what those report me numbers actually do? Save the driver and the their companies insurance from getting involved in a road rage indecent by giving the other person a perceived useful outlet of frustration instead of further escalation. Think about that.

Last edited by u235; 09-02-20 at 04:00 PM.
u235 is offline  
Old 09-02-20, 01:03 PM
  #11  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,366

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid View Post
Too often, dangerous drivers are let off with inadequate penalties because it's their first time in court.

By reporting dangerous drivers, a record will exist of their dangerous activities. Should one of those drivers end up in court, their record would establish that the dangerous driver has a documented history of driving dangerously. This can lead to stiffer penalties, since the record will show a pattern of behavior, and it (hopefully) prevents a dangerous driver from being given leniency.
The "record" will establish that there have been unsubstantiated report(s) (made perhaps anonymously) to a website or over the phone that may leave it up to anybody/everybody to make up their own definition of "dangerous activities." As can be seen elsewhere on BF some cyclists have a very low tolerance for motorists anywhere in their vicinity and seem to consider most, if not all, motorists as dangerous and seem to report all kinds of issues with "dangerous" motorists quite frequently to BF.

I will leave it to the BF legal scholars, (licensed, would-be or otherwise) to give an opinion if a "record" of alleged "dangerous behavior" gathered by such a non governmental call-in hotline/website would carry any weight at all in a court for determining a defendent's guilt for a specific violation/crime or could be used when determining a penalty, especially for a defendant who is in court for the first time.

My untrained legal opinion is that such alleged "evidence" of previous "dangerous activities" based on such so-called reports would be found irrelevant in any court.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-02-20, 02:33 PM
  #12  
Milton Keynes
Senior Member
 
Milton Keynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,184

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid View Post
Too often, dangerous drivers are let off with inadequate penalties because it's their first time in court.

By reporting dangerous drivers, a record will exist of their dangerous activities. Should one of those drivers end up in court, their record would establish that the dangerous driver has a documented history of driving dangerously. This can lead to stiffer penalties, since the record will show a pattern of behavior, and it (hopefully) prevents a dangerous driver from being given leniency.
Unfortunately I don't think entries on a website like that would be admissible in court. A competent attorney or anyone able to represent themselves competently would be able to get it thrown out, mainly because all the entries on that website are just allegations and not proven. All the entries, if no video is available, are just one person's word against another's, and there's no way to prevent someone from harassing someone else by creating false entries using their vehicle & tag information. Even with video, it can be hard to prove that the defendant was the one driving. All the judge will go on is the defendant's driving record as held by the state anyway.
Milton Keynes is offline  
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-02-20, 02:36 PM
  #13  
Reflector Guy
Senior Member
 
Reflector Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Chicago
Posts: 319

Bikes: '17 Trek, '20 Bianchi, '77 Sears Free Spirit (long since retired)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
As can be seen elsewhere on BF some cyclists have a very low tolerance for motorists anywhere in their vicinity and seem to consider most, if not all, motorists as dangerous and seem to report all kinds of issues with "dangerous" motorists quite frequently to BF.
Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed that.
Reflector Guy is offline  
Old 09-02-20, 02:37 PM
  #14  
BoraxKid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 102 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by u235 View Post
You haven't thought that through and the OBVIOUS abuse this could cause.
Calm down. It's not my website, and I'm not the one advocating for it. Someone asked the question "why does this exist?" and I gave the reason why. Why are you so defensive?
BoraxKid is offline  
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 09-02-20, 02:54 PM
  #15  
BoraxKid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 102 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes View Post
Unfortunately I don't think entries on a website like that would be admissible in court. A competent attorney or anyone able to represent themselves competently would be able to get it thrown out, mainly because all the entries on that website are just allegations and not proven. All the entries, if no video is available, are just one person's word against another's, and there's no way to prevent someone from harassing someone else by creating false entries using their vehicle & tag information. Even with video, it can be hard to prove that the defendant was the one driving. All the judge will go on is the defendant's driving record as held by the state anyway.
I think the idea that you're missing here is that the people who logged the events can be contacted, and then they could give sworn statements about their encounters with a given driver. I agree it's probably a long shot to actually work, but like I said earlier, it's not my site, not my organization, and not my problem.
BoraxKid is offline  
Old 09-02-20, 03:02 PM
  #16  
Milton Keynes
Senior Member
 
Milton Keynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,184

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid View Post
I think the idea that you're missing here is that the people who logged the events can be contacted, and then they could give sworn statements about their encounters with a given driver. I agree it's probably a long shot to actually work, but like I said earlier, it's not my site, not my organization, and not my problem.
I really don't think any court is going to go through that trouble, unless maybe if it's a dangerous driving resulting in death case. If it's a simple moving violation, say violating the 3 ft. passing rule, they're not going to bother.
Milton Keynes is offline  
Old 09-02-20, 03:17 PM
  #17  
BoraxKid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 102 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes View Post
I really don't think any court is going to go through that trouble, unless maybe if it's a dangerous driving resulting in death case. If it's a simple moving violation, say violating the 3 ft. passing rule, they're not going to bother.
Violating the 3-foot (or 4-foot in some states)law does not usually warrant a court date on its own. That's a ticketable offense, and a court date would only result if the ticket went unpaid or if the driver were sanctimonious enough to try and fight it in court. Neither of those things are very likely to happen, but then again, the police writing tickets to enforce the safe passing of cyclists is even less likely to happen.

And yes, the "reporting" site exists for when a driver has done something serious, i.e. caused injury to someone and/or killed someone, and is already facing a court date. The idea is that these organizations spend some time monitoring court cases so they are aware of when someone from their database is in court for something major. Then, the reporting group alerts the prosecutor(s) to the information they have. In an ideal world, the prosecution would be motivated to do the right thing and make sure justice is served against the dangerous driver, but like we already agreed, there's practically no chance of that happening in reality.
BoraxKid is offline  
Old 09-02-20, 03:32 PM
  #18  
BoraxKid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 102 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
The website would be worthless in court.
Well, yes, we already covered that above. Why are you so angry about this? We already pointed out that for the database of bad drivers to mean anything in court, someone would have to contact the individuals who logged their events to have them give sworn statements. None of that seems likely to happen, though, and I already said exactly that in an earlier post. Did you not bother to read the thread before responding? I think if you read a little more carefully, it would help you understand what's already been discussed and maybe you would be a little less angry. Calm down.
BoraxKid is offline  
Old 09-02-20, 03:33 PM
  #19  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 11,231

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4495 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 964 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
If there was a website for reporting on-line harassment, Borax would have filed an entry for you, because he dreamt that you are an angry person that personally attacked him.
ha ha ha, now that's creative comedy! kudos.
mstateglfr is online now  
Old 09-02-20, 03:34 PM
  #20  
u235
Senior Member
 
u235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid View Post
Calm down. It's not my website, and I'm not the one advocating for it. Someone asked the question "why does this exist?" and I gave the reason why. Why are you so defensive?

I didn't think I was, it was a simply a counterpoint... Call 1800-555-1212 and complain user u235 is hostile and defensive and does not agree with you. The irony

Last edited by u235; 09-02-20 at 03:56 PM.
u235 is offline  
Old 09-02-20, 03:39 PM
  #21  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,366

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid View Post
The idea is that these organizations spend some time monitoring court cases so they are aware of when someone from their database is in court for something major. Then, the reporting group alerts the prosecutor(s) to the information they have. In an ideal world, the prosecution would be motivated to do the right thing and make sure justice is served against the dangerous driver, but like we already agreed, there's practically no chance of that happening in reality.
I think the reality of this "idea" exists only in the imagination of wishful thinkers and nobody plans on doing any such "alerting" activity based on this pseudo-vigilante database.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 09-02-20, 03:43 PM
  #22  
BoraxKid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 102 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
I think the reality of this "idea" exists only in the imagination of wishful thinkers and nobody plans on doing any such "alerting" activity based on this pseudo-vigilante database.
Yeah, that sounds about right. Like I said earlier, I don't think these "databases" are really helpful in any practical way.
BoraxKid is offline  
Old 09-02-20, 03:59 PM
  #23  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked 1,765 Times in 831 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid View Post
Calm down. It's not my website, and I'm not the one advocating for it. Someone asked the question "why does this exist?" and I gave the reason why. Why are you so defensive?
I don't think the poster was being "defensive." I think he was just pointing out the absurdity of your claim - as have several other posters.
Koyote is offline  
Old 09-02-20, 04:00 PM
  #24  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,366

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes View Post
Unfortunately I don't think entries on a website like that would be admissible in court.
I do NOT think it "unfortunate" that anonymous, unsubstantiated reports of "dangerous activity" gathered by a private, for profit, web site is inadmissible in court. I am glad that such likely tainted and biased so-called "evidence" is not considered at all in any legal proceeding.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 09-02-20, 04:10 PM
  #25  
BoraxKid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 102 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
I don't think the poster was being "defensive." I think he was just pointing out the absurdity of your claim - as have several other posters.
I didn't make any claims. I answered someone's question; they asked "why does this exist" and I basically recited the organization's mission statement. I was not saying I support their mission, nor was I saying that no one should support them. I was simply pointing out things as they are.
BoraxKid is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.