Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Very sad event

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Very sad event

Old 09-03-20, 02:28 PM
  #1  
vespasianus
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: In the south but from North
Posts: 297

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
Very sad event

So sad. Many people saw this guy riding through town, smiling and waving. But just like that, his life was taken away- nothing more than a sad note in some article. What the article does not say is the road he was hit and killed on was a two lane road with little traffic at the time. No reason for this to happen. Makes me more angry and sad.


https://www.thecoastlandtimes.com/20...BIYqAAagaVgjfA
vespasianus is offline  
Old 09-03-20, 09:41 PM
  #2  
Helldorado
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Tacoma, WA, USA
Posts: 120

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
tragic.
Helldorado is offline  
Old 09-04-20, 09:30 AM
  #3  
Milton Keynes
Senior Member
 
Milton Keynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,184

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked 655 Times in 365 Posts
The driver probably had an important text message to send and didn't have time to look out for expendable cyclists.
Milton Keynes is offline  
Old 09-04-20, 10:10 AM
  #4  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,395

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 241 Posts
Is the person that killed him under arrest?
rydabent is offline  
Old 09-04-20, 10:15 AM
  #5  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,395

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 241 Posts
There should be a Fed law that states the police will check phone logs to see anyone involved in an accident where a person was killed, will have their sentence DOUBLED, if they were on the phone at the time of the accident.
rydabent is offline  
Old 09-06-20, 05:23 AM
  #6  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 28,059
Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12093 Post(s)
Liked 4,016 Times in 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
There should be a Fed law that states the police will check phone logs to see anyone involved in an accident where a person was killed, will have their sentence DOUBLED, if they were on the phone at the time of the accident.
Yeah. Letís forget that whole statesí rights idea and allow the federal government to legislate all areas.

Iím pretty certain the federal government cannot impose sentencing laws for state crimes, especially when using a phone while driving isnít a crime in many states. Is there even one state that completely bans phone use while driving?

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-06-20 at 05:30 AM.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 09-06-20, 07:53 AM
  #7  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,366

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
There should be a Fed law that states the police will check phone logs to see anyone involved in an accident where a person was killed, will have their sentence DOUBLED, if they were on the phone at the time of the accident.
Let's also forget that there is no evidence that phone use is even involved in this sad event. But at least for a few posters, lack of evidence and facts, let alone laws are of no concern when ranting about their favorite bogeymen, hot button issue or straw man argument.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-06-20, 07:56 AM
  #8  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,395

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Yeah. Letís forget that whole statesí rights idea and allow the federal government to legislate all areas.

Iím pretty certain the federal government cannot impose sentencing laws for state crimes, especially when using a phone while driving isnít a crime in many states. Is there even one state that completely bans phone use while driving?
Im fine with all the states enacting the law I suggested. In fact I totally agree with you.
rydabent is offline  
Old 09-06-20, 07:58 AM
  #9  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,395

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Let's also forget that there is no evidence that phone use is even involved in this sad event. But at least for a few posters, lack of evidence and facts, let alone laws are of no concern when ranting about their favorite bogeymen, hot button issue or straw man argument.
You need to pray none of your family or friend are never killed by a fool on their smart phone. Cell phones should be mfg to shut down if moving faster than 10 mph.
rydabent is offline  
Likes For rydabent:
Old 09-06-20, 10:09 AM
  #10  
roundypndr 
Been around the block
 
roundypndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
This man's death just reinforces my belief in minimizing my interactions with motorists, while riding on a bicycle. I've practically curtailed all of my recreational bicycling, and keeping the majority of my bicycle travels to short , deliberate, and well planned commutes.
roundypndr is offline  
Old 09-06-20, 11:15 AM
  #11  
vespasianus
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: In the south but from North
Posts: 297

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Is the person that killed him under arrest?
No.
vespasianus is offline  
Old 09-06-20, 01:25 PM
  #12  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 28,059
Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12093 Post(s)
Liked 4,016 Times in 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Im fine with all the states enacting the law I suggested. In fact I totally agree with you.
Considering many won't even ban or restrict cell phone use, don't hold your breath.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 09-06-20, 01:32 PM
  #13  
vespasianus
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: In the south but from North
Posts: 297

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Considering many won't even ban or restrict cell phone use, don't hold your breath.
In South Carolina, using your cell phone while driving is allowed but you are not allowed to text. I would be very surprised if a single ticket has been written for this.

Just today, I was riding in a group of 5 in a Paceline and a car came around a bend going close to 70 and you could see him on this phone. We got off the road and he barely made it around the corner - tires screeching and off the ground at some point.
vespasianus is offline  
Old 09-06-20, 03:21 PM
  #14  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 28,059
Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12093 Post(s)
Liked 4,016 Times in 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
In South Carolina, using your cell phone while driving is allowed but you are not allowed to text. I would be very surprised if a single ticket has been written for this.

Just today, I was riding in a group of 5 in a Paceline and a car came around a bend going close to 70 and you could see him on this phone. We got off the road and he barely made it around the corner - tires screeching and off the ground at some point.
I hear you. When I was touring in SD I came out of the trees after a nature break and saw a guy nearly lose it in a curve. He was looking at his phone. Probably checking all the texts he couldnít read while in the canyon area we had just emerged from. Crazy thing is that, despite avoiding disaster, he was still looking at his phone as he passed me standing in the grass.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 09-06-20, 08:27 PM
  #15  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,434
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 841 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
You need to pray none of your family or friend are never killed by a fool on their smart phone. Cell phones should be mfg to shut down if moving faster than 10 mph.
My new iPhone, by default, is set in a mode that disables all phone use, texts, and internet while it senses that it's in a moving car. I presume that it will do navigation for me, but I haven't needed to test that. I'm sure there's some way to disable this mode, but I haven't bothered looking in the settings.


Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Considering many won't even ban or restrict cell phone use, don't hold your breath.
Yep, it's up to the states.
Koyote is offline  
Old 09-06-20, 11:41 PM
  #16  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,524
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 156 Posts
There are zero details of that accident in that article and somehow that didn't serve to prevent this thread from becoming a diatribe about cellphone use while driving. Every accident is not caused by cellphone use! There is even the possibility (gasp) that the cyclist is at least partly responsible. That rig does not inspire confidence actually. Have y'all's already forgotten what happens when you jump off the diving board without checking if there is water in the swimming pool? That locked thread isn't that far below this one. Someone get some facts before this gets any uglier is my advice.
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 09-07-20, 08:35 AM
  #17  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,395

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
No.
Do the police know who the person is, or was it a hit and run. If they know who it is why isnt the driver in jail?
rydabent is offline  
Old 09-07-20, 09:50 AM
  #18  
vespasianus
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: In the south but from North
Posts: 297

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Do the police know who the person is, or was it a hit and run. If they know who it is why isnt the driver in jail?
I believe they are still investigating. It was not a hit and run. From the people that were there, It was an ugly scene. The road itself is an interstate (US17) that is two lanes but no real bike lane. There is a sidewalk but his rig would not work on that. From my understanding, he was hit from behind at ~ 60 MPH and the dog was jettisoned forward and the rider, unfortunately was run down. From a news reporter I know, it appears that the driver did not see him.

And the discussion about cell phones is a general issue with all drivers and is germane to this conversation.

This is also South Carolina. In the Charleston area, there are a number of fatal car, pedestrian incidents and they almost never result in a charge to the driver.

Last edited by vespasianus; 09-07-20 at 10:02 AM.
vespasianus is offline  
Old 09-07-20, 11:52 AM
  #19  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,366

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
And the discussion about cell phones is a general issue with all drivers and is germane to this conversation.
Diatribes about cell phones with no evidence of its involvement in the sad event under discussion, and throwing motorists in jail without a shred of evidence of guilt or fault appear to be always germane to any discussion of sad events, regardless of relevance, to those who make those kind of comments.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 09-07-20, 12:22 PM
  #20  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,524
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
And the discussion about cell phones is a general issue with all drivers and is germane to this conversation..
No, it is not germane to this conversation. We can start a general thread about cell phone use but we do not know that cell phone use played any part in
THIS accident. TBH with this little known about it I would not have bothered to start a thread.
Leisesturm is offline  
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 09-07-20, 12:43 PM
  #21  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,366

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
No, it is not germane to this conversation. We can start a general thread about cell phone use but we do not know that cell phone use played any part in
THIS accident. TBH with this little known about it I would not have bothered to start a thread.
Given the lack of information provided so far, cell phone use is as germane to the discussion of this sad event, as discussion/diatribes about conjured use of of alcoholic beverage or prescription drugs, or perhaps a lack of sleep or any other possible factor that might have led to the tragic results. Because it is someone's favorite go-to motorist misdeed to blame for every unexplained crash doesn't make it "germane" IMO.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 09-07-20, 12:44 PM
  #22  
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,256
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
TBH with this little known about it I would not have bothered to start a thread.
TBH with this little known I would not have blamed the victim. But like dogs to a tree, some here are always ready to speculate.

Most people have the human decency to heel their dog in a cemetery.

(BTW, Ava is recovering.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-07-20 at 12:48 PM.
mr_bill is offline  
Old 09-07-20, 10:45 PM
  #23  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,524
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
TBH with this little known I would not have blamed the victim. But like dogs to a tree, some here are always ready to speculate.

Most people have the human decency to heel their dog in a cemetery.

(BTW, Ava is recovering.)

-mr. bill
Interesting. Pointing out that there is too little known about this accident to blame anybody is "blaming the victim". Ok. Noted. Can we please have the old (rational) Mr. Bill back?
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 09-08-20, 09:01 AM
  #24  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,395

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Diatribes about cell phones with no evidence of its involvement in the sad event under discussion, and throwing motorists in jail without a shred of evidence of guilt or fault appear to be always germane to any discussion of sad events, regardless of relevance, to those who make those kind of comments.
Call it "diatribes" if you want, but it seems that half the drivers you see these days have a damned cell phone in their face.

Is a phone call more important than a persons life? FYI I remember before cell phones, the world did actually turn.
rydabent is offline  
Old 09-08-20, 09:04 AM
  #25  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,395

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Diatribes about cell phones with no evidence of its involvement in the sad event under discussion, and throwing motorists in jail without a shred of evidence of guilt or fault appear to be always germane to any discussion of sad events, regardless of relevance, to those who make those kind of comments.
If a cell phone was in use at the time of the accident, in court it is called a "contributing factor". That would make it very relevant.

BTW I have found thru personal experience that you can actually drive a car without a cell phone in you face!!!!!
rydabent is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.