Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

This is absolutely disgusting!

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

This is absolutely disgusting!

Old 03-05-21, 02:36 PM
  #1  
invalid.user
*bows*
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 23

Bikes: Giant Fastroad Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
This is absolutely disgusting!

Has anyone heard about the recent judgment that a Markham (Toronto suburb) judge passed for a woman who ran over and killed a cyclist last summer, then proceeded to drive off, lie about it to her parents, and the police until confronted at the autobody shop where her car was being fixed? Well, her sentence is essentially a curfew for a year; she can't leave home between 21:00-06:00, and can't drive for 3 years.

The deceased was a husband with 3 children. I feel absolutely disgusted thinking about what his family is going through. The judge is a serious psychopath who actually said during the ruling that some may find his judgment too harsh. Oh, and to make matters worse, it is likely that this spoiled rotten person was driving under the influence, as she posted on a photo on Instagram the night prior to the accident with the caption "photo as blurry as my night was". The sad part is the crown was only pushing for 6-8 months of jail time, which she managed to evade by getting a doctor's note saying she has asthma and need to be isolated due to COVID. What a joke. She left that man to die on the side of the road without second thought. Actually, she confirmed looking back and thinking he must've been dead. I feel so bad for the victim's family. What do you even do after something like that? Well, I know what I'd do if it was my father, but I'd probably get banned for saying it here, so I'll leave it at that.

Here's a link to the Toronto sub****** where this was being discussed (the thread was locked unfortunately): red dit .com/r/toronto/comments/lxp74a/woman_who_killed_markham_fatherof3_with_vehicle/ (remove the spaces)
invalid.user is offline  
Old 03-05-21, 02:54 PM
  #2  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 7,678

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3008 Post(s)
Liked 1,601 Times in 1,167 Posts
It makes one wonder were we've gotten to in society. We've had several hit and runs here of pedestrians, a cyclist and even other motor vehicles where the other person drives off. Not a new phenomena, but seems to be happening with greater frequency.

I guess it comes back to thinking "me" is more important than anything or anyone else. Really sad.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 03-05-21, 03:02 PM
  #3  
invalid.user
*bows*
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 23

Bikes: Giant Fastroad Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Agreed. I'll probably get a lot of flak for this, but I almost never bike on streets without protected bike lanes in the suburbs. I'll take my chances on the sidewalk; they're almost always empty anyways. At least then it's at my discretion, and I can be more careful when it comes to intersections/entrances. That story is just sad. I hope his family is doing ok, although I'm sure they're not.
invalid.user is offline  
Likes For invalid.user:
Old 03-05-21, 03:11 PM
  #4  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 30,414
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13368 Post(s)
Liked 6,042 Times in 3,105 Posts
There’s a forum for that:

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-05-21, 03:44 PM
  #5  
70sSanO
Senior Member
 
70sSanO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 3,599

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 567 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis View Post
What actually caused the accident? I don't see that part. Of course if a cyclist jumped in front of a traveling vehicle, that would change things as far as the cause. Any details about the accident?
From what I read it was driving in the direction of the setting sun and glare caused her not to see. Still should be manslaughter, or whatever the equivalent in Canada. The cyclist was on the side of the road and not in the lane.

John
70sSanO is offline  
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-05-21, 03:54 PM
  #6  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 7,678

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3008 Post(s)
Liked 1,601 Times in 1,167 Posts
Originally Posted by invalid.user View Post
Agreed. I'll probably get a lot of flak for this, but I almost never bike on streets without protected bike lanes in the suburbs. I'll take my chances on the sidewalk; they're almost always empty anyways. At least then it's at my discretion, and I can be more careful when it comes to intersections/entrances. That story is just sad. I hope his family is doing ok, although I'm sure they're not.
My two most severe bike accidents were on the paved MUP's. One put me in the hospital. The other was at the end of my driveway. I can't think of any I had that were away from my home on the public roads for motor vehicles which I ride often. Though I don't ride any and every public road willy nilly. I use some discretion for which roads I deem safe for me.
Iride01 is offline  
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-05-21, 03:55 PM
  #7  
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur
 
cbrstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 767

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
"Forrestall then went to work and carried on with the lies, telling her insurance company and the police about the fake incident." As a former Insurance Broker I hope she will be charged with Insurance Fraud by her provider. If not it's time to stop paying premiums when companies whine that the costs are too high. She might not be in jail, but I hope the Wife of the man sues her straight into the ground.
cbrstar is offline  
Old 03-05-21, 04:35 PM
  #8  
invalid.user
*bows*
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 23

Bikes: Giant Fastroad Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
From what I read it was driving in the direction of the setting sun and glare caused her not to see. Still should be manslaughter, or whatever the equivalent in Canada. The cyclist was on the side of the road and not in the lane.

John
Where did you read that, out of curiosity? I was looking for an answer as well, but honestly, the fact that she has had 3 speeding tickets within 2 years of the accident, she posted that Instagram photo with the caption about being drunk, and her fleeing the scene lead me to believe that this was the result of distracted or under the influence driving rather than the sun shining in her eyes. Also, this was posted on the Markham subred dit and a lot of cyclists were saying that the side of the road is wide and you'd almost have to try to hit a cyclist there, which further supports my conclusion.

Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
My two most severe bike accidents were on the paved MUP's. One put me in the hospital. The other was at the end of my driveway. I can't think of any I had that were away from my home on the public roads for motor vehicles which I ride often. Though I don't ride any and every public road willy nilly. I use some discretion for which roads I deem safe for me.
That's fair, but I don't think statistics would back up your assertion that biking on the side of the road is safer than on a MUP.
invalid.user is offline  
Old 03-05-21, 04:44 PM
  #9  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 7,678

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3008 Post(s)
Liked 1,601 Times in 1,167 Posts
Originally Posted by invalid.user View Post
That's fair, but I don't think statistics would back up your assertion that biking on the side of the road is safer than on a MUP.
I'd bet statistics would for non-fatal accidents. And I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a significant difference in fatal. At least if you could figure out a fair way to count them. .
Iride01 is offline  
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-05-21, 04:59 PM
  #10  
70sSanO
Senior Member
 
70sSanO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 3,599

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 567 Posts
Originally Posted by invalid.user View Post
Where did you read that, out of curiosity? I was looking for an answer as well...
I just Googled “toronto cyclist killed curfew sentence” and found the article from the Toronto Sun. I would link but sometimes doesn’t work from my phone.

And I was wrong on the time it was in the morning, not the evening.

Per the article...
“The sun was in her eyes and the road curved when she struck Safet Tairoski from behind.”

John
70sSanO is offline  
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-05-21, 05:05 PM
  #11  
trailangel
Senior Member
 
trailangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 4,659

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 330 Posts
Some always says .. if you want to kill somebody, buy them a bike....... then run over them.
trailangel is offline  
Likes For trailangel:
Old 03-05-21, 05:24 PM
  #12  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,228

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,982 Times in 823 Posts
Originally Posted by invalid.user View Post
Oh, and to make matters worse, it is likely that this spoiled rotten person was driving under the influence...
Clearly this was a tragic event and she deserves to be punished for her role in it, but there's no reason to make up stuff to bolster your outrage. There is no indication she was driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-05-21, 06:23 PM
  #13  
invalid.user
*bows*
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 23

Bikes: Giant Fastroad Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Clearly this was a tragic event and she deserves to be punished for her role in it, but there's no reason to make up stuff to bolster your outrage. There is no indication she was driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
What part is made up? She posted a photo on Instagram hours before the accident with the caption “photo as blurry as my night was”. Besides that, she decided to drive away after seeing the guy dying on the side of the road, according to her own testimony.

If you are involved in a fatal hit and run after a night of heavy drinking, everybody should just assume you were driving under the influence. Why should I, or anyone, give her the benefit of the doubt? How many nights of heavy drinking have you done where you wake up early the next morning, proceed to run someone over, and stay away from home for hours while you come up with a story about how your car was hit at a coffee shop before you went to your “babysitting job” (she was 25 at the time, and her parents are rich. She definitely wasn’t baby sitting lmao)? Her story reeks of leaving the scene to sober up. This just reinforces that if you hit someone while drunk, let them die while you go sober up. People involved in a fatal hit and run should face bigger penalties; there is a possibility that the father of 3 might still be alive if she had stopped and called an ambulance right away. Nasty, selfish, disgusting person.

Last edited by invalid.user; 03-05-21 at 06:27 PM.
invalid.user is offline  
Likes For invalid.user:
Old 03-05-21, 06:47 PM
  #14  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,658

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 933 Posts
I want to be disgusted but sadly my faith in human decency is long gone. We thrive on doing terrible things to others and sometimes celebrate it. When you build a culture as we have of in this case cars and driving being number one and bikes being toys and keep pushing that over and over you get stuff like this. We have a system where mostly innocent people are locked up for just having drugs but you murder someone on a bicycle while driving your car and you get a bare minimum slap on the wrist both because of factors of innate qualities of yourself.

Sure I would love to see her drug through the streets and beaten with Zéfal frame pumps but sadly that will never happen. If it did the people involved would get into major trouble and she would be a brave hero. Hopefully someone at least slashes all 4 tires on her car so she has a tougher time getting around. Maybe they could get away with throwing a huffy through her window.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-05-21, 07:10 PM
  #15  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,228

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,982 Times in 823 Posts
Originally Posted by invalid.user View Post
What part is made up?
The part where you claim she was driving under the influence. There is no indication that this is true, or that the police or judge even suspected it was true.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 03-05-21, 08:45 PM
  #16  
cb400bill
Follow Your Arrow
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 19,516

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 Carbon Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR gravel Viscount Aerospace Pro

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2442 Post(s)
Liked 3,063 Times in 1,865 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling Discussion to Advocacy and Safety.
__________________
If your presence doesn't make an impact, your absence won't make a difference









cb400bill is offline  
Old 03-05-21, 09:27 PM
  #17  
invalid.user
*bows*
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 23

Bikes: Giant Fastroad Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
The part where you claim she was driving under the influence. There is no indication that this is true, or that the police or judge even suspected it was true.
I've given my reasoning, but if you wish to ignore it, that's your prerogative. I'm not going to give someone the benefit of the doubt given the extreme contradicting evidence and the fact that their own actions are undoubtedly those of someone who had something to hide.
invalid.user is offline  
Likes For invalid.user:
Old 03-05-21, 09:33 PM
  #18  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 12,799

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5614 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,626 Posts
Originally Posted by invalid.user View Post
I've given my reasoning, but if you wish to ignore it, that's your prerogative. I'm not going to give someone the benefit of the doubt given the extreme contradicting evidence and the fact that their own actions are undoubtedly those of someone who had something to hide.
She did some life altering awful things. There is no need to speculate and guess its worse because what is known is bad enough and proven.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 03-05-21, 09:38 PM
  #19  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,228

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,982 Times in 823 Posts
Originally Posted by invalid.user View Post
I've given my reasoning, but if you wish to ignore it, that's your prerogative. I'm not going to give someone the benefit of the doubt given the extreme contradicting evidence and the fact that their own actions are undoubtedly those of someone who had something to hide.
Your "reasoning" is pure speculation, and there isn't any evidence to support it, much less "extreme contradicting evidence." There's nothing wrong with being outraged at what she did, and there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with the light sentence she received, but making up crap like this serves no useful purpose.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-05-21, 09:41 PM
  #20  
invalid.user
*bows*
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 23

Bikes: Giant Fastroad Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
The part where you claim she was driving under the influence. There is no indication that this is true, or that the police or judge even suspected it was true.
I've given you many indications of why that is likely true. We'll never know for sure one way or the other.

How exactly would they do that when she literally fled the scene? This is exactly why she did that. If she had stayed on scene and had nothing to hide, it would've been ruled an accident, and she wouldn't even need a lawyer.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
She did some life altering awful things. There is no need to speculate and guess its worse because what is known is bad enough and proven.
- Extremely intoxicated and posting online about it hours before the murder

- Driving early in the morning after being extremely intoxicated the night before (most people sleep in after a long night of heavy drinking; you'd only be up early in the morning if you hadn't slept yet. I'm pretty sure most of us have had parties that end at like 6am or something)

- Flees the scene, leaving the man to die on the side of the road, and concocting an entire story of how her car was hit in a parking lot

- Lies to police and insurance about the circumstances of the damage to her vehicle

Yeah, I'm gonna go with she was driving under the influence.

Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Your "reasoning" is pure speculation, and there isn't any evidence to support it, much less "extreme contradicting evidence." There's nothing wrong with being outraged at what she did, and there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with the light sentence she received, but making up crap like this serves no useful purpose.
She chose to flee the scene. Anyone who chooses to flee the scene of a fatal car accident should immediately be assumed to be driving under the influence and should have even harsher sentencing. The father of 3 might still be alive if she had called an ambulance right away. Instead, she chose to sober up. Keep twisting the story though. There is very little explicit evidence one way or the other as a result of her fleeing.

Last edited by invalid.user; 03-05-21 at 09:44 PM.
invalid.user is offline  
Likes For invalid.user:
Old 03-05-21, 10:20 PM
  #21  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,228

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,982 Times in 823 Posts
Originally Posted by invalid.user View Post
There is very little explicit evidence one way or the other ...
No evidence, yet she's absolutely guilty of your speculative claims. Brilliant.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 03-05-21, 11:06 PM
  #22  
invalid.user
*bows*
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 23

Bikes: Giant Fastroad Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
No evidence.
Isn't the point of fleeing the scene to destroy the evidence? She sure got you!

Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
​​​​​​​yet she's absolutely guilty of your speculative claims. Brilliant
Thankfully most people are clever enough to read between the lines. Unfortunately, the people who make up the rules regarding hit and runs must have the same mindset as you. What do you propose next? No murder verdicts unless a body is produced, even if there is evidence that the perpetrator burned it? Great analytical skills
invalid.user is offline  
Likes For invalid.user:
Old 03-06-21, 09:04 AM
  #23  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,035

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2399 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 417 Posts
As I have posted several times with city or county attorneys it is very hard to get justice in criminal court. I have personally seen this happen locally. One killer was the wife of a local judge, and the second killer was an 84 year old woman legally blind. The prosecutors refused to charge them.

Both families had to resort to civil court where they won huge settlements. I hope this family does the same.
rydabent is offline  
Likes For rydabent:
Old 03-06-21, 09:39 AM
  #24  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,842

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 414 Posts
There's my favorite excuse again. "The sun was in the sky." It was nearly 3 hours after sunrise. I don't know what the "accident reconstructionist" did, but I would have wanted a video that demonstrated the conditions. A month or so back I posted quite a few photos of me driving into the last 30 minutes of a setting sun. At no point in any of those photos would a cyclist on the roadway have been "hard to see." The posted speed limit on the parts of the subject road I looked at is 40. I am assuming that is KPH, so 25 MPH. That's not the kind of speed, think relative speed here too, that causes substantial damage to a car.

This one really disgusts me. I don't always think jail is the right place for people who make a simple mistake. This was way beyond a simple mistake.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7676500/a...fet-tairowksi/
Paul Barnard is offline  
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-06-21, 10:02 AM
  #25  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,842

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 414 Posts
This is close to where the accident occurred. Just found the snapshot interesting. Apparently they give the google car a wide birth that they don't afford cyclists.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8688...7i16384!8i8192

I am pretty sure the ghost bike rests against this tree off on the right side of the road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8688...7i16384!8i8192
Paul Barnard is offline  
Likes For Paul Barnard:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.