Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

cyclist injured in Show Low bike race dies

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

cyclist injured in Show Low bike race dies

Old 07-13-21, 09:44 PM
  #1  
Aroyobob
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 46

Bikes: Trek 460, Trek 1420, Schwin High Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
cyclist injured in Show Low bike race dies

Since the other thread is locked. A 58-year-old man died of his injuries July 10, Arizona Department of Public Safety spokesman Bart Graves said. No other information about the victim was immediately released.
https://www.nhonews.com/news/2021/ju...ike-race-dies/

Update on one of the riders as of June 23
https://kvoa.com/news/2021/06/23/tuc...show-low-race/
Aroyobob is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 08:32 AM
  #2  
Iride01
MotuekaCascadeChinook
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 10,348

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4176 Post(s)
Liked 2,707 Times in 1,886 Posts
So what does this have to do with Cycling Advocacy and Safety?

Why does this sub-forum continue to be an Obituary page where I guess we are supposed to show our compassion. Or it's simply an I hate Cars and motor vehicles.

Maybe I'm getting your intentions wrong, but you simply post links that I am not going to go to.

If you want me to look at your links you need to provide some discussion of your viewpoints on what ever it is you think will better our Safety and Advocacy for cycling to cause me to want to view your links.
Iride01 is online now  
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-14-21, 10:19 AM
  #3  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,146

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 594 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
So what does this have to do with Cycling Advocacy and Safety?

Why does this sub-forum continue to be an Obituary page where I guess we are supposed to show our compassion. Or it's simply an I hate Cars and motor vehicles.
So what does posting Obituary notices without relevant comments have to do with Cycling Advocacy and Safety? - Nothing!

It is not that simple, this sub-forum continues to be an outlet for zealots who hate (or at least resent) the people who own or use Cars and motor vehicles for any purpose that the zealots do not approve.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 07-14-21 at 10:22 AM.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-14-21, 10:40 AM
  #4  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,874
Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15645 Post(s)
Liked 3,111 Times in 2,317 Posts
So far I haven't read the story from the pickup driver, drug tests, time on road, phone use, etc.

Some of the reports seem to describe what appeared to be intent, but that is from the victim's perspective.

He did leave the scene from what is now a fatal accident.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 01:25 PM
  #5  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,387

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6461 Post(s)
Liked 6,132 Times in 3,466 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
So far I haven't read the story from the pickup driver, drug tests, time on road, phone use, etc.

Some of the reports seem to describe what appeared to be intent, but that is from the victim's perspective.

He did leave the scene from what is now a fatal accident.

And how does knowing any of that inform a discussion of safety and advocacy? This is a crime story, not a bike story. The victims just happened to be on bikes.
livedarklions is online now  
Old 07-14-21, 01:40 PM
  #6  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,874
Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15645 Post(s)
Liked 3,111 Times in 2,317 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
And how does knowing any of that inform a discussion of safety and advocacy? This is a crime story, not a bike story. The victims just happened to be on bikes.
I think there are lessons to be learned for cyclists to ride safer from many accident reports.

This one.. not so much (other than potential race design).

But, I do think this is an important update to a multiple victim accident (incident). I'm personally not against every car.

Isolating the cause of an accident (incident) can help determine potential safety changes. So, even if the cyclists had little escape, knowing if the driver was distracted, drowsy, drugged, stoned, intoxicated, etc... might help drive public policy.

For a race on open public roads, should any group of 20+ riders have a follow and lead car?
CliffordK is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 01:52 PM
  #7  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,387

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6461 Post(s)
Liked 6,132 Times in 3,466 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I think there are lessons to be learned for cyclists to ride safer from many accident reports.

This one.. not so much (other than potential race design).

But, I do think this is an important update to a multiple victim accident (incident). I'm personally not against every car.

Isolating the cause of an accident (incident) can help determine potential safety changes. So, even if the cyclists had little escape, knowing if the driver was distracted, drowsy, drugged, stoned, intoxicated, etc... might help drive public policy.

For a race on open public roads, should any group of 20+ riders have a follow and lead car?
There's reasons the NTSB doesn't base its investigations on newspaper reports. I really think these kinds of threads have killed this forum and just started a thread about that.
livedarklions is online now  
Old 07-14-21, 02:07 PM
  #8  
DangerousDanR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Fargo ND
Posts: 375

Bikes: Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
... For a race on open public roads, should any group of 20+ riders have a follow and lead car? ...
Please NO! The group rides here in Fargo ND are running well over 20. I have not seen any close calls on those rides for the few years I have been riding in them. This would just add an expense to the rides for no benefit.
DangerousDanR is offline  
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 07-14-21, 02:26 PM
  #9  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,874
Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15645 Post(s)
Liked 3,111 Times in 2,317 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR View Post
Please NO! The group rides here in Fargo ND are running well over 20. I have not seen any close calls on those rides for the few years I have been riding in them. This would just add an expense to the rides for no benefit.
A 20 person group right is a mighty large group ride.

Above was an organized "race" on either partly open or fully open public roads. It was so damaging because it was a large group of riders who were bunched up that got hit.

That would be different from a club ride, or a century ride that may have riders spread out for hours.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 02:54 PM
  #10  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,387

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6461 Post(s)
Liked 6,132 Times in 3,466 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
A 20 person group right is a mighty large group ride.

Above was an organized "race" on either partly open or fully open public roads. It was so damaging because it was a large group of riders who were bunched up that got hit.

That would be different from a club ride, or a century ride that may have riders spread out for hours.
No, it was so damaging because a guy intentionally ran them over. If they were spread out, it just would have taken him a little longer.

So was the hypothetical trailing vehicle or the hypothetical leading vehicle supposed to jump in front of the vehicle intentionally being driven into that crowd?

He's charged with aggravated assault, that's a specific intent crime. Literally nothing to do with the question of whether they were racing or on a century. Nothing to do with the facts of the case.
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-14-21, 02:56 PM
  #11  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 33,770
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15330 Post(s)
Liked 9,112 Times in 4,500 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
A 20 person group right is a mighty large group ride.
Not in my neck of the woods.
indyfabz is online now  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-14-21, 03:02 PM
  #12  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,874
Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15645 Post(s)
Liked 3,111 Times in 2,317 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
No, it was so damaging because a guy intentionally ran them over. If they were spread out, it just would have taken him a little longer.

So was the hypothetical trailing vehicle or the hypothetical leading vehicle supposed to jump in front of the vehicle intentionally being driven into that crowd?

He's charged with aggravated assault, that's a specific intent crime. Literally nothing to do with the question of whether they were racing or on a century. Nothing to do with the facts of the case.
So far I haven't read the guy's story. When this was initially reported, he was in the ICU, and thus not talking much.

Charges don't necessarily mean that will be proven in court.

Filling in some of the data gaps will help understand what actually happened.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 04:45 PM
  #13  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,146

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 594 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Filling in some of the data gaps will help understand what actually happened.
In the years that you have read the Obituary type wailing and gnashing of teeth threads on A&S how many times have the usual posters ever posted anything that helped you understand what actually happened, or even more importantly, anything that you didn't already know about riding safely?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-14-21, 06:30 PM
  #14  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,387

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6461 Post(s)
Liked 6,132 Times in 3,466 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
So far I haven't read the guy's story. When this was initially reported, he was in the ICU, and thus not talking much.

Charges don't necessarily mean that will be proven in court.

Filling in some of the data gaps will help understand what actually happened.

And as usual, everyone will pick at nits in some news story or another to fabricate their own version of data gap fills to fit with their own pet theory.

​​​​​​None of these threads are useful to understanding anything.
livedarklions is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.