Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Chicago Lyft Passenger Opens Door in Bike Lane

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Chicago Lyft Passenger Opens Door in Bike Lane

Old 10-05-21, 04:31 PM
  #1  
hotbike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hotbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,507

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 39 Posts
Chicago Lyft Passenger Opens Door in Bike Lane

LYFT passenger opens door in cyclists face

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...-park/2628551/
hotbike is offline  
Old 10-05-21, 05:08 PM
  #2  
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 3,598

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 253 Posts
Chicago is a dangerous place to ride a bike. 5.8 average fatalities per year. I think we had 7 last year. Unfortunately, painting an outline of bike on the side of the street doesn't magically turn it into a bike lane. We have a long way to go. Totally inexcusable that the driver and passenger left the scene, but when you see a car pull to the right like that, it's pretty risky to try to shoot the gap between the doors because chances are good they are dropping someone off, especially in Lincoln Park. You're never going to stop ridshare drivers from pulling over to let people out, and you're never going to train rideshare passengers to look before they open the door.
kingston is online now  
Likes For kingston:
Old 10-05-21, 10:29 PM
  #3  
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 101 Posts
There should be some blame placed on the cyclist also. In a perfect world, neither the driver and passenger would not have done what they did. This is not a perfect world, so why would any cyclist fly by the SUV? I know I would been going a lot slower then he was.
Bmach is offline  
Likes For Bmach:
Old 10-06-21, 04:27 AM
  #4  
flangehead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 599

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 204 Posts
4 situations

There are 4 situations:

1. Car passenger sees cyclist and doesn’t open door. Cyclist passes in door zone. Outcome: No collision and no report of incident in the press.

2. Cyclist does not enter door zone or is slow and alert. Car passenger opens door without looking. Outcome: No collision and no report of incident in the press.

3. Car passenger sees cyclist and doesn’t open door. Cyclist does not enter door zone or is slow and alert. Outcome: No collision and no report of incident in the press.

4. Car passenger opens door without looking.. Cyclist passes in door zone. Outcome: Collision. Possible press report.

Though the resulting collision is more likely to injure the cyclist than anyone else, the possibility of injury to the car passenger exists.

What action does the cyclist have control over? What action does the car passenger have control over?

Now add Murphy’s Law. The cyclist on occasion, even with best intentions, will enter the door zone in a risky manner. The car passenger, even with the best intentions, will open a door with a moving object approaching.

The more often car passengers look, and the more cyclists avoid the door zone, the fewer situation 4 events will occur.

We will now return to our regularly scheduled program.
flangehead is offline  
Old 10-06-21, 11:48 AM
  #5  
blacknbluebikes 
Senior Member
 
blacknbluebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 761

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 176 Posts
I'd agree that Chicago can be a dangerous place, but it's not six or seven cycling fatalities a year that earns that reputation.
blacknbluebikes is offline  
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 10-06-21, 01:02 PM
  #6  
Riveting
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 1,050

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 188 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes View Post
I'd agree that Chicago can be a dangerous place...
I'd also agree Chicago is a dangerous place. I had just arrived in Wicker Park and was still rolling my luggage down Milwaukee Ave to my hotel (which is a super heavily bike route) and within those 5 minutes I witnessed a car/bike accident due to a stupid driver coming from the other direction and pulling in front of a cyclist that was going going straight and taking the lane, causing the cyclist to t-bone the car. The cyclist couldn't have been riding any better, though they weren't wearing any Hi-Vis at all, not that I like to victim blame.
Riveting is offline  
Old 10-06-21, 02:54 PM
  #7  
livedarklions
Mr. Brifter, 2018
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 10,108

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5259 Post(s)
Liked 4,536 Times in 2,566 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach View Post
There should be some blame placed on the cyclist also. In a perfect world, neither the driver and passenger would not have done what they did. This is not a perfect world, so why would any cyclist fly by the SUV? I know I would been going a lot slower then he was.

Oh, hell no. The cyclist had no reason to know that someone would illegally open a door in a traffic lane. There is literally no part of that road that isn't a door zone if you have to assume people are going to randomly open up doors in traffic. And good luck figuring out how fast that bike was going.

Sorry, but there's nothing I hate more than an unfounded "that wouldn't happen to me" post..
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-06-21, 02:56 PM
  #8  
livedarklions
Mr. Brifter, 2018
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 10,108

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5259 Post(s)
Liked 4,536 Times in 2,566 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead View Post
There are 4 situations:

1. Car passenger sees cyclist and doesn’t open door. Cyclist passes in door zone. Outcome: No collision and no report of incident in the press.

2. Cyclist does not enter door zone or is slow and alert. Car passenger opens door without looking. Outcome: No collision and no report of incident in the press.

3. Car passenger sees cyclist and doesn’t open door. Cyclist does not enter door zone or is slow and alert. Outcome: No collision and no report of incident in the press.

4. Car passenger opens door without looking.. Cyclist passes in door zone. Outcome: Collision. Possible press report.

Though the resulting collision is more likely to injure the cyclist than anyone else, the possibility of injury to the car passenger exists.

What action does the cyclist have control over? What action does the car passenger have control over?

Now add Murphy’s Law. The cyclist on occasion, even with best intentions, will enter the door zone in a risky manner. The car passenger, even with the best intentions, will open a door with a moving object approaching.

The more often car passengers look, and the more cyclists avoid the door zone, the fewer situation 4 events will occur.

We will now return to our regularly scheduled program.
There is no part of the street that isn't in a door zone if you're including the passenger side in a traffic lane.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 10-06-21, 03:34 PM
  #9  
mdarnton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 174

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Oh, hell no. The cyclist had no reason to know that someone would illegally open a door in a traffic lane. There is literally no part of that road that isn't a door zone if you have to assume people are going to randomly open up doors in traffic.
This definitely is not a case of someone "randomly" opening a door in traffic. It's a case of a car pulling over. That's about as good of a clue as you are ever going to get that the next thing to happen is that a door is going to open on one side or the other.
mdarnton is offline  
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 10-06-21, 04:26 PM
  #10  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,617

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach View Post
There should be some blame placed on the cyclist also. In a perfect world, neither the driver and passenger would not have done what they did. This is not a perfect world, so why would any cyclist fly by the SUV? I know I would been going a lot slower then he was.
Hell no.

The article says
"...when a rideshare driver in a white Honda CRV pulled into the bike lane to let a passenger out."

Why would the cyclist be responsible for any blame if he was riding in the bike lane and the driver intruded into his space?


You wouldn't blame a pedestrian on the sidewalk for getting run over if a driver jumped the curb would you?
Daniel4 is offline  
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 10-06-21, 04:47 PM
  #11  
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4 View Post
Hell no.

The article says
"...when a rideshare driver in a white Honda CRV pulled into the bike lane to let a passenger out."

Why would the cyclist be responsible for any blame if he was riding in the bike lane and the driver intruded into his space?


You wouldn't blame a pedestrian on the sidewalk for getting run over if a driver jumped the curb would you?
oh hell yesssssss. Just slowing down would have changed the result. Cyclist have to watch out for themselves and this is a perfect example of taking care of yourself. Just like any intersection where you have the right of way you still have to be carefull and look out for yourself.

So I stand by what I said and that is how I ride also.

Last edited by Bmach; 10-06-21 at 05:34 PM.
Bmach is offline  
Old 10-06-21, 05:40 PM
  #12  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,617

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach View Post
oh hell yesssssss. Just slowing down would have changed the result. Cyclist have to watch out for themselves and this is a perfect example of taking care of yourself. Just like any intersection where you have the right of way you still have to be carefull and look out for yourself.

So I stand by what I said and that is how I ride also.
Ok. Blame the victim. Always. They are never careful enough. Always getting in the way of criminals and bad drivers.

Last edited by Daniel4; 10-06-21 at 05:46 PM.
Daniel4 is offline  
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 10-06-21, 06:43 PM
  #13  
livedarklions
Mr. Brifter, 2018
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 10,108

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5259 Post(s)
Liked 4,536 Times in 2,566 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
This definitely is not a case of someone "randomly" opening a door in traffic. It's a case of a car pulling over. That's about as good of a clue as you are ever going to get that the next thing to happen is that a door is going to open on one side or the other.
Nonsense, watch the video. The car and the bike are basically parallel, then the car "pulls over" onto the bike lane with the bike already next to him and the door flies open. The bicyclist is going what appears to be a normal bike lane speed when the car cuts him off. You're just trying to take credit for 20/20 hindsight, there was no real warning to the bicyclist. But hey, congrats on not being the bicyclist, it obviously makes you feel better about yourself.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-06-21, 06:47 PM
  #14  
livedarklions
Mr. Brifter, 2018
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 10,108

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5259 Post(s)
Liked 4,536 Times in 2,566 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach View Post
oh hell yesssssss. Just slowing down would have changed the result. Cyclist have to watch out for themselves and this is a perfect example of taking care of yourself. Just like any intersection where you have the right of way you still have to be carefull and look out for yourself.

So I stand by what I said and that is how I ride also.

Tell me exactly how fast he was going from that jerky motion video. Then tell me exactly when he was supposed to slow down. There's no real warning.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-06-21, 08:06 PM
  #15  
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 3,598

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 253 Posts
Other than leaving the scene of an accident, I didn't see anything illegal. Cars are allowed to pull over and let people out. That happens thousands of times a day in Lincoln Park. The news guy called it a bike lane, but it's the same street it's always been, it just has a bike painted on it now. Maybe the cyclist could have avoided that accident and maybe he couldn't have, but he definitely wouldn't have gotten doored if he didn’t try to squeeze through that gap.
kingston is online now  
Old 10-06-21, 08:52 PM
  #16  
homeless in ca.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Longueuil, Quebec
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
The attorney should sue Lyft for not properly training their unlicensed taxi drivers.
homeless in ca. is offline  
Likes For homeless in ca.:
Old 10-06-21, 09:08 PM
  #17  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,598

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by homeless in ca. View Post
The attorney should sue Lyft for not properly training their unlicensed taxi drivers.
"unlicensed taxi driver" ?

What "proper training" would that be?

Sounds like a job for a "Sleazy Lawyer" and apparently the victims chose otherwise.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 10-06-21, 09:24 PM
  #18  
Rick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 216 Times in 144 Posts
You are never going to train motorists or passengers to look before they open that door. As stated there was very little time to react. The bicycle rider was riding in the door zone next to the parked cars on what looks to be a sub standard lane. The Lyft driver pulling over to allow the passenger out was just sauce for the goose. I don't ride in the door zone and I would be out in the lane. Being doored is the major cause of bicyclists deaths in England.
Rick is offline  
Likes For Rick:
Old 10-06-21, 10:01 PM
  #19  
zandoval 
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 2,444

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead View Post
There are 4 situations:

1. Car passenger sees cyclist and doesn’t open door. Cyclist passes in door zone. Outcome: No collision and no report of incident in the press.

2. Cyclist does not enter door zone or is slow and alert. Car passenger opens door without looking. Outcome: No collision and no report of incident in the press.

3. Car passenger sees cyclist and doesn’t open door. Cyclist does not enter door zone or is slow and alert. Outcome: No collision and no report of incident in the press.

4. Car passenger opens door without looking.. Cyclist passes in door zone. Outcome: Collision. Possible press report....
5th situation...

5. Car driver and passenger see cyclist. Car passenger opens door looking. At observation driver and passenger note there is no severe damage to the bicycle. They then drive off with the bicycle in the trunk. Outcome: Hey... It's Chicago.

In truth this can happen any time in any city any where. I hope he has a speedy recovery...
__________________
No matter where your at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)
zandoval is offline  
Old 10-06-21, 11:15 PM
  #20  
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 101 Posts
Is that even a bike lane? Looks more like sharrows to me after looking at it again.
Bmach is offline  
Old 10-07-21, 04:36 AM
  #21  
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 3,598

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach View Post
Is that even a bike lane? Looks more like sharrows to me after looking at it again.
I have never heard anyone in Chicago use that term so I had to google it, but yes, it's sharrows. They're everywhere now, so drivers completely ignore them as far as I can tell.
kingston is online now  
Old 10-07-21, 05:04 AM
  #22  
work4bike
Senior Member
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,472
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2230 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 267 Posts
I would never had gone between those two cars, especially at that speed. Take the lane and go on the outside.
work4bike is offline  
Likes For work4bike:
Old 10-07-21, 05:08 AM
  #23  
livedarklions
Mr. Brifter, 2018
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 10,108

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5259 Post(s)
Liked 4,536 Times in 2,566 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
Other than leaving the scene of an accident, I didn't see anything illegal. Cars are allowed to pull over and let people out. That happens thousands of times a day in Lincoln Park. The news guy called it a bike lane, but it's the same street it's always been, it just has a bike painted on it now. Maybe the cyclist could have avoided that accident and maybe he couldn't have, but he definitely wouldn't have gotten doored if he didn’t try to squeeze through that gap.

Now we've established it was a sharrow, the story clearly misdescribes what is documented in the video. There is no pullover, that's a shared traffic lane. The car only stops as the bicyclist was already at or past the rear of the vehicle, so the cyclist likely wouldn't have seen the brake lights. The hindsight is absurd in this thread, but I doubt I would have thought I was "squeezing" through anything unless I had a very clear indication that the car door was likely to open.

It's clear to me that opening a door in a shared lane would violate this statute:
https://codes.findlaw.com/il/chapter...5-11-1407.html
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-07-21, 05:10 AM
  #24  
work4bike
Senior Member
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,472
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2230 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 267 Posts
BTW, that looked like an E-bike, probably why he was going so fast.
work4bike is offline  
Old 10-07-21, 06:11 AM
  #25  
livedarklions
Mr. Brifter, 2018
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 10,108

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5259 Post(s)
Liked 4,536 Times in 2,566 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
"unlicensed taxi driver" ?

What "proper training" would that be?

Sounds like a job for a "Sleazy Lawyer" and apparently the victims chose otherwise.

You do understand that the entire purpose of Uber and Lyft is to provide a fleet of unlicensed taxis, right?
livedarklions is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.