Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Camera w/ Seat Stay Mount?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Camera w/ Seat Stay Mount?

Old 10-28-21, 02:24 PM
  #1  
1989Pre
Standard Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 2,968

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
Camera w/ Seat Stay Mount?

I am planning on buying my first rear-facing video camera for my bike, and am wondering if there are any that have a seat-stay mount. The ones I am seeing are either seat tube mount, seat post mount or helmet mount.
1989Pre is offline  
Old 10-28-21, 04:59 PM
  #2  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,221

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,417 Times in 1,568 Posts
I've seen hub level/dropout camera mounts. Mostly used with the smaller cameras like the GoPro Hero 5 or discontinued Polaroid cubes.

I'd be cautious about a clamp mount on a seat stay, especially carbon fiber. I do mount a Cygolite Hotrod on the seat stays of my carbon fiber bikes, but those are featherweight lights with rubber band mounts. Even a small camera would need a more secure mount.
canklecat is offline  
Old 10-29-21, 04:21 AM
  #3  
1989Pre
Standard Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 2,968

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I've seen hub level/dropout camera mounts. Mostly used with the smaller cameras like the GoPro Hero 5 or discontinued Polaroid cubes.

I'd be cautious about a clamp mount on a seat stay, especially carbon fiber. I do mount a Cygolite Hotrod on the seat stays of my carbon fiber bikes, but those are featherweight lights with rubber band mounts. Even a small camera would need a more secure mount.
I might be interested in a dropout mount, but one of the main things I am aiming for (hence, my desire for a seat-stay mount) is high-visibility to motorists who might have less-than-honorable intentions. I figured up higher is better. The bike I would be using this on (Technium) has steel seat stays. Yeah, I like the rubber-band mount on the Cygolites.
1989Pre is offline  
Old 10-29-21, 07:53 AM
  #4  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,881

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 236 Posts
I mount my rear facing camera directly on my rear rack. It's literally in their face when any driver approaches me from behind.

It's clear view of their licence plate, even at 1080p30fps.

Last edited by Daniel4; 10-29-21 at 10:41 AM.
Daniel4 is offline  
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 10-29-21, 08:05 AM
  #5  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,510

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 596 Posts
My last two action cams have had standard threaded 1/4" female receptacles. While I don't use a quick release to mount them on my helmet, there are many more mounting solutions for standard 1/4" threaded camera mounts than for any proprietary mounts.

I like the idea from Daniel4 of mounting on a rear rack (if possible).
BobbyG is offline  
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-29-21, 07:53 PM
  #6  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,221

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,417 Times in 1,568 Posts
Yeah, I use a clip-in mounting shoe on the rear rack of my hybrid. With the Drift Ghost cameras the mounting shoes are all you need for flat surfaces (like racks) or slightly curved surfaces like helmets.

On my road bikes I use Drift's clamp-on articulating mounts, usually on the stem or handlebar, and on the seat post facing rearward.

Lower mounting is often better for recording license plates, but handlebar or seat level is good enough and offers a slightly higher vantage point which can help with perspective and recording the surroundings. Lower mounts tend to limit visibility beyond anything directly in front of or behind us.
canklecat is offline  
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-01-22, 07:16 AM
  #7  
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr
 
GhenghisKahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Wellington/Porirua, New Zealand
Posts: 122

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre View Post
I am planning on buying my first rear-facing video camera for my bike, and am wondering if there are any that have a seat-stay mount. The ones I am seeing are either seat tube mount, seat post mount or helmet mount.
Years ago after purchasing a couple Go-Pro knockoffs I rigged the enclosed attachment with a seat-stay light mount, foam and some duct tape. It wasn't pretty, but it was functional. Had to mount it below my pannier and by trial and error got it dialed in. Attached it nds as that was roadside. The front was easy. Handlebar mount with foam. Both cameras were rechargeable. The images were crisp black and white. Served me well for about 5 years.

Last edited by GhenghisKahn; 01-02-22 at 05:58 AM.
GhenghisKahn is offline  
Likes For GhenghisKahn:
Old 01-01-22, 08:52 AM
  #8  
1989Pre
Standard Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 2,968

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by GhenghisKahn View Post
I rigged the enclosed attachment with a seat-stay light mount
That's probably my only real option, using a lamp-mount, unless I can somehow reduce the diameter of the supplied clamp with some foam rubber.
1989Pre is offline  
Old 01-02-22, 05:16 PM
  #9  
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 6,112

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 193 Posts
I've been using saddle rail mounts for the past few years. It works well, but if you go this route, be sure your camera is tethered somehow. I've had a few mounts break on me, whether plastic or aluminum. The first time it was untethered and I didn't know until I got home, but thankfully I was able to backtrack and find it. I've had it break again, but the tether held on to it.
mcours2006 is offline  
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 01-02-22, 06:32 PM
  #10  
JW Fas
Cop Magnet
 
JW Fas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 43 Posts
My rear cam is a GoPro Hero Session 4 with a saddle rail mount. I got the mount from K-Edge. It was kind of pricey, but it's been reliable. Now, it also meant I had to get rid of my saddle bag to make room, so now I use an aero top tube bag that mounts directly behind the headtube.
JW Fas is offline  
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 01-09-22, 10:44 AM
  #11  
rodymanners
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JW Fas View Post
My rear cam is a GoPro Hero Session 4 with a saddle rail mount. I got the mount from K-Edge. It was kind of pricey, but it's been reliable. Now, it also meant I had to get rid of my saddle bag to make room, so now I use an aero top tube bag that mounts directly behind the headtube.
I want to purchase one but I'm not sure about it

Last edited by rodymanners; 01-09-22 at 09:44 PM.
rodymanners is offline  
Old 01-09-22, 03:49 PM
  #12  
JW Fas
Cop Magnet
 
JW Fas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rodymanners View Post
I want to purchase one but I'm not sure about it
What makes you unsure?
JW Fas is offline  
Old 01-29-22, 11:02 PM
  #13  
roundypndr 
Been around the block
 
roundypndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4 View Post
I mount my rear facing camera directly on my rear rack. It's literally in their face when any driver approaches me from behind.

It's clear view of their licence plate, even at 1080p30fps.
My rear facing camera is mounted to the rear basket, and it really shows how close a pass some drivers make. Another plus is that my incidents with drivers, while stopped at stop signs and stop lights, greatly dropped when I installed a rear facing camera. It seems that many driver are very observant of a camera when it's being pointed at them.
roundypndr is offline  
Likes For roundypndr:
Old 01-30-22, 01:45 PM
  #14  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,881

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by roundypndr View Post
My rear facing camera is mounted to the rear basket, and it really shows how close a pass some drivers make. Another plus is that my incidents with drivers, while stopped at stop signs and stop lights, greatly dropped when I installed a rear facing camera. It seems that many driver are very observant of a camera when it's being pointed at them.
I hope your basket is nice and firm. Too much jiggle will make a positive identification challenging in the case of an incidence.

Regardless, it appears the presence of the camera in plain sight is already a deterrence.
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 01-31-22, 07:53 AM
  #15  
roundypndr 
Been around the block
 
roundypndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4 View Post
I hope your basket is nice and firm. Too much jiggle will make a positive identification challenging in the case of an incidence.

Regardless, it appears the presence of the camera in plain sight is already a deterrence.
There was some jiggle on my initial trials, but with some zip ties, and having a sturdy built basket, I usually get a good number of clear frames of viewing at 30 fps in 1080p.
roundypndr is offline  
Likes For roundypndr:
Old 02-07-22, 03:09 AM
  #16  
JonnyHK 
Senior Member
 
JonnyHK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Posts: 2,421

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 127 Posts
I made this for someone.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/GF...40219&li=shops

Go to the Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets forum and look at the 3d printed mounts thread.
JonnyHK is offline  
Likes For JonnyHK:
Old 02-07-22, 06:15 AM
  #17  
work4bike
Senior Member
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,573
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2547 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 373 Posts
Just another camera option to consider

work4bike is offline  
Likes For work4bike:
Old 02-15-22, 03:31 PM
  #18  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 9,478

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3300 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 838 Posts


I don't often use this mode, but it works fine. Contour camera with ski-pole mount on my seatstay.

DiabloScott is offline  
Old 02-15-22, 04:58 PM
  #19  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,863
Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15625 Post(s)
Liked 3,095 Times in 2,304 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre View Post
I might be interested in a dropout mount, but one of the main things I am aiming for (hence, my desire for a seat-stay mount) is high-visibility to motorists who might have less-than-honorable intentions. I figured up higher is better. The bike I would be using this on (Technium) has steel seat stays. Yeah, I like the rubber-band mount on the Cygolites.
I can't imagine drivers would be looking for cameras on a bike. And, by the time they see a camera, it would be TOO LATE.

I'm seeing a few seat rail mounts.

There seems to be almost any imaginable gopro mount, but I'm not seeing any small tube mounts.

Perhaps a bolt on rack mount?
CliffordK is offline  
Old 02-21-22, 03:50 AM
  #20  
qwaalodge
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Kingdom of Qwaa
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre View Post
I might be interested in a dropout mount, but one of the main things I am aiming for (hence, my desire for a seat-stay mount) is high-visibility to motorists who might have less-than-honorable intentions. I figured up higher is better. The bike I would be using this on (Technium) has steel seat stays. Yeah, I like the rubber-band mount on the Cygolites.
The place I can quickly spot a camera from far away is atop the helmet. I see many motorbikers and cyclists alike do it. It works.

I doubt would have noticed the camera if it was mounted on the seatstay especially as a motorist as I'd be looking at the cyclist's jersey and helmet. A camera behind a rear basket would be more noticeable but the top of the helmet is absolutely the best spot and by far.
qwaalodge is offline  
Old 02-21-22, 05:15 AM
  #21  
1989Pre
Standard Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 2,968

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post

I don't often use this mode, but it works fine. Contour camera with ski-pole mount on my seatstay.
Perfect.
1989Pre is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.