Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Video: cyclist broadsided

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Video: cyclist broadsided

Old 07-31-22, 09:53 AM
  #51  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 14,029

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7357 Post(s)
Liked 7,614 Times in 4,275 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Who really gives a darn what emergency vehicle drivers do or don't do, since none were involved in this or any other bicycle incident on this thread?

The peculiar "assertion" about them was made way back by an A&S commentator about motorists' behavior and traffic etiquette who posted "but even ambulance drivers slow down at intersections with their sirens blaring"; implying that somehow the motorist in the OP was at least partly to blame for not slowing down when approaching and/or passing through an intersection with a green.


Bottom line: Some bicycling safety advocates have unrealistic expectations that motorists will do/should do whatever the advocate would like them to do, even if when there is no requirement or credible reason to expect such unusual driver behavior.

Bottom line: you disagreed with one factual thing in his post and you acted like a total jerk when a guy who actually knew first hand about emergency driving practices corrected you. You'll need to ask yourself why you made such a big deal about it.

You're very fond of the "I don't see it, so it doesn't happen" assertion, and it's becoming painfully obvious you're just oblivious to a lot of things.

As a driver, I do try to be prepared for people to do stupid things in front of me, but I wouldn't dream of claiming that I know I could have avoided hitting this guy under these circumstances. Pretty sure no one in this thread actually did.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 10:01 AM
  #52  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,628

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 557 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4 View Post
If the driver had stayed, he would have gotten released. Now he faces jail-time for hit-and-run.

Not siding with the cyclist but even ambulance drivers slow down at intersections with their sirens blaring.
Actually the hit and run driver was a woman politician.
rydabent is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 10:03 AM
  #53  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,628

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 557 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
So, was this an accident?
No because some one did something wrong,
rydabent is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 11:06 AM
  #54  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,330

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24269 Post(s)
Liked 7,960 Times in 5,581 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Actually the hit and run driver was a woman politician.
...she must have been on her way to the hospital.
__________________
3alarmer is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 11:53 AM
  #55  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,368

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,104 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Actually the hit and run driver was a woman politician.
And not only is she guilty of being a woman; she didn't slow down before entering the intersection like our Canadian friend implies makes her guilty of bad driving.

Surprisingly, none of the usual suspects have (so far) cried out "Texting!"
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 12:38 PM
  #56  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,330

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24269 Post(s)
Liked 7,960 Times in 5,581 Posts

CITIZEN'S FIRE ACADEMY

Are you interested in learning more about how the Burlington Fire Department is organized or how it operates? Have you wondered about what physical or mental requirements there are to become a firefighter? This academy is for you!

The fire department is now accepting applications for the 2022 Citizen's Fire Academy, which will take place on Thursday evenings starting September 8 and runs through October 27.

Please complete and submit the following application.

2022 Citizens Fire Academy Application

Deadline for all applications is August 14, 2022.
__________________
3alarmer is offline  
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-31-22, 12:54 PM
  #57  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,368

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,104 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
The Foo list is farther down; the General Discussion list for snark is farther up.
You seem to be lost.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 01:07 PM
  #58  
GamblerGORD53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Elevation 666m Edmonton Canada
Posts: 2,073

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 153 Posts
The FACTS in this video, shows the car was at the crosswalk line when the dolt on a bicycle appeared. So 22 feet or so. 30 mph = 44 fps, half a second reaction time. Criminal behavior is increasing, with carjackings. FACT.
Plus the crash test dummy running the RED light was on the WRONG side of the stopped cars for going straight, further impeding visibility.
There is ZERO reason to vilify the driver.
GamblerGORD53 is offline  
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 07-31-22, 01:47 PM
  #59  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,330

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24269 Post(s)
Liked 7,960 Times in 5,581 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
The Foo list is farther down; the General Discussion list for snark is farther up.
You seem to be lost.

...that happens all the damn time, driving emergency vehicles. You're always going to a new, different address. And it's hard to concentrate with the lights and siren going.
__________________
3alarmer is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 01:48 PM
  #60  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,330

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24269 Post(s)
Liked 7,960 Times in 5,581 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 View Post
There is ZERO reason to vilify the driver.
...you're not at all upset that she did not stop to render aid ? Well all right then.
__________________
3alarmer is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 03:51 PM
  #61  
JW Fas
Cop Magnet
 
JW Fas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 View Post
The FACTS in this video, shows the car was at the crosswalk line when the dolt on a bicycle appeared. So 22 feet or so. 30 mph = 44 fps, half a second reaction time.
No one is disputing the reaction time for the motorist was little. No one is disputing that the cyclist is at fault for causing the collision. However, it is law in NJ that you must remain at the scene of a crash where there is property damage and/or personal injury.

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 View Post
Criminal behavior is increasing, with carjackings. FACT.
This is a red herring with respect to the issue at hand. It has zero relevance to the motorist's duty to stop and exchange info.

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 View Post
Plus the crash test dummy running the RED light was on the WRONG side of the stopped cars for going straight, further impeding visibility.
Once again, the cyclist was clearly at fault, but that was irrelevant to the motorist's legal duty to stop.

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 View Post
There is ZERO reason to vilify the driver.
Here are two reasons:
https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jer...ction-39-4-129

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jer...c-12/2c-12-1-1
JW Fas is offline  
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 07-31-22, 04:37 PM
  #62  
zandoval 
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 3,488

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 586 Posts
Looks like...
Cyclist at fault for running Red Light and not watching out for traffic.
Driver and other traffic at fault for not stopping to render aid.
Spectators at fault for not rendering aid as well.

Man... Guy wasn't even wearing his MAGA hat...
__________________
No matter where your at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)
zandoval is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 04:56 PM
  #63  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,368

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,104 Times in 732 Posts
I don't think that any bicyclist will learn much from viewing the OP video other than that it can be dangerous to run red lights especially when not looking for approaching traffic. If anyone is old enough to ride without training wheels that know that already.

A few posters recommend or allege that safety (or continued employment) dictates that good drivers slow down or even crawl through intersections dead slow, and it doesn't matter if the driver has a clear right of way. It would be a bad idea for any bicyclist to base their own safety on any anticipation that motorists will behave in that way.

I would recommend that every motorist who makes a practice of driving like that be required to install emergency lights on their vehicle and keep them flashing at all times as a warning to other drivers to keep clear of the oh-so-cautious driver in front of them who may choose to slow down for no apparent reason, just like phantom braking in some defective cars. I would also affix a big sign like this to the back of my vehicle;


or maybe add a few hazardous material placards to keep all these "bad drivers" at a safe distance from my unexpected "slowing down" for whatever hazards I imagine could appear in any intersection.


Maybe blasting a super loud siren when approaching every intersection.will help at keeping anybody from getting too close.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 05:50 PM
  #64  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 14,029

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7357 Post(s)
Liked 7,614 Times in 4,275 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 View Post
The FACTS in this video, shows the car was at the crosswalk line when the dolt on a bicycle appeared. So 22 feet or so. 30 mph = 44 fps, half a second reaction time. Criminal behavior is increasing, with carjackings. FACT.
Plus the crash test dummy running the RED light was on the WRONG side of the stopped cars for going straight, further impeding visibility.
There is ZERO reason to vilify the driver.

Three words: hit and run. Fault or not, the driver was required to stop. Leaving the scene is a cowardly and illegal thing to do.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-31-22, 05:55 PM
  #65  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 14,029

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7357 Post(s)
Liked 7,614 Times in 4,275 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
I don't think that any bicyclist will learn much from viewing the OP video other than that it can be dangerous to run red lights especially when not looking for approaching traffic. If anyone is old enough to ride without training wheels that know that already.

A few posters recommend or allege that safety (or continued employment) dictates that good drivers slow down or even crawl through intersections dead slow, and it doesn't matter if the driver has a clear right of way. It would be a bad idea for any bicyclist to base their own safety on any anticipation that motorists will behave in that way.

I would recommend that every motorist who makes a practice of driving like that be required to install emergency lights on their vehicle and keep them flashing at all times as a warning to other drivers to keep clear of the oh-so-cautious driver in front of them who may choose to slow down for no apparent reason, just like phantom braking in some defective cars. I would also affix a big sign like this to the back of my vehicle;


or maybe add a few hazardous material placards to keep all these "bad drivers" at a safe distance from my unexpected "slowing down" for whatever hazards I imagine could appear in any intersection.


Maybe blasting a super loud siren when approaching every intersection.will help at keeping anybody from getting too close.

Y'know a diet of pure straw man is going to give you the runs, right?

You insist that the emergency vehicle thing was a red herring when you were caught bs-ing on the subject, you whine about snark, then you double-down with this?! Hypocrite.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-31-22, 07:26 PM
  #66  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,330

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24269 Post(s)
Liked 7,960 Times in 5,581 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post

A few posters recommend or allege that safety (or continued employment) dictates that good drivers slow down or even crawl through intersections dead slow, and it doesn't matter if the driver has a clear right of way. It would be a bad idea for any bicyclist to base their own safety on any anticipation that motorists will behave in that way.

...I'm willing to concede that standards in places like Burlington, Iowa might be different. I could only see one traffic signal in that shot of downtown, and the main fire station (one of two), is located in close proximity to it. Maybe the guys who drive your ambulances don't go through many intersections at all ? Still, your best bet at finding out for certain is that citizen firefighter training school, and you seem resistant to the idea of attending. So I guess we'll never know for sure.






Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Maybe blasting a super loud siren when approaching every intersection.will help at keeping anybody from getting too close.

2010 California Code
Vehicle Code
Article 1. Horns, Sirens And Amplification Devices

VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 27000-27007
.

27002. No vehicle, except an authorized emergency vehicle, shall be
equipped with, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle any siren
except that an authorized emergency vehicle shall be equipped with a
siren meeting requirements established by the department.
__________________
3alarmer is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 07:30 PM
  #67  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,330

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24269 Post(s)
Liked 7,960 Times in 5,581 Posts
.
...is it just this one, or are all the current A+S threads equally strange ?
__________________
3alarmer is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 07:49 PM
  #68  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,267

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
.
...is it just this one, or are all the current A+S threads equally strange ?
The same handful of people always sidetrack the discussion.
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 08:35 PM
  #69  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,368

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,104 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
.
...is it just this one, or are all the current A+S threads equally strange ?
Just the threads where some character wants to keep babbling like he used to in Trollheim; such as ranting on and on about driving his firetruck around and around and around, or sniping with snarky cute comments for the amusement of equally smug jokers.

Then of course there are the strange "discussions" which are on repeat play about bad drivers, evil law enforcement personnel, ignorant city employees, and/or texting being the cause of most if not all "crashes and the bane of all bicyclists.

Thankfully the previously constant strange static and noise about helmets, vehicular cycling and bike lanes has drifted away.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 10:03 PM
  #70  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 14,029

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7357 Post(s)
Liked 7,614 Times in 4,275 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Just the threads where some character wants to keep babbling like he used to in Trollheim; such as ranting on and on about driving his firetruck around and around and around, or sniping with snarky cute comments for the amusement of equally smug jokers.

Then of course there are the strange "discussions" which are on repeat play about bad drivers, evil law enforcement personnel, ignorant city employees, and/or texting being the cause of most if not all "crashes and the bane of all bicyclists.

Thankfully the previously constant strange static and noise about helmets, vehicular cycling and bike lanes has drifted away.
And if the thread doesn't have that stuff going on, leave it to you to just troll everyone with collective guilt for " someone said something stupid once".

You're completely incapable of any reasonable discussion at this point, your posts are just unclever repetitive piles of anger and resentment.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-31-22, 10:07 PM
  #71  
Esos1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Not likely when the ambulance driver, or anybody else has the green light.
I wasn't going to chime in but you guys keep going back and forth on this. I'm not sure if you're aware but some people actually do slow down at all intersections. I only know this because my husband is one of them and when I asked him why he said that it's good defensive driving. 🤷
Esos1 is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 10:09 PM
  #72  
Esos1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Three words: hit and run. Fault or not, the driver was required to stop. Leaving the scene is a cowardly and illegal thing to do.
It's also an inhumane sociopathic thing to do.
Esos1 is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 10:17 PM
  #73  
Esos1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 View Post
The FACTS in this video, shows the car was at the crosswalk line when the dolt on a bicycle appeared. So 22 feet or so. 30 mph = 44 fps, half a second reaction time. Criminal behavior is increasing, with carjackings. FACT.
Plus the crash test dummy running the RED light was on the WRONG side of the stopped cars for going straight, further impeding visibility.
There is ZERO reason to vilify the driver.
Um she sent a guy flying through the air and then just kept on driving. His bike literally exploded and she acted like a bug hit her windshield.
Esos1 is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 10:22 PM
  #74  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,330

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24269 Post(s)
Liked 7,960 Times in 5,581 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Just the threads where some character wants to keep babbling like he used to in Trollheim; such as ranting on and on about driving his firetruck around and around and around, or sniping with snarky cute comments for the amusement of equally smug jokers.
...whoa there, slow down Bubba. You is gonna give yourself an aneurysm. Then someone will need to call an ambulance, and there's no way they'll get there fast enough to suit you. Then you'll be all upset about that. I'd darn well like to be a fly on the wall for that ambulance ride, where you're nagging the driver to go faster through the intersections, and he tells you, "Hey mister, you want to come up here and drive ?"

This is why we can't have nice things.
__________________
3alarmer is offline  
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-31-22, 10:29 PM
  #75  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,330

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24269 Post(s)
Liked 7,960 Times in 5,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4 View Post
The same handful of people always sidetrack the discussion.
....in fairness, there's probably not much going on in Burlington, Iowa in the way of other entertainment. Still, you'd think someone living there would have a large streaming TV package. I figured when I pointed out that free citizen's academy, run by the local fire guys, like_to_bike would jump at the chance. It shows them playing with auto extrication tools, which is worth the price of admission all by itself. But I guess A+S takes up a lot of his time. nttawwt
__________________
3alarmer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.