Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Video: cyclist broadsided

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Video: cyclist broadsided

Old 08-02-22, 02:19 PM
  #126  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Paul Barnard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 5,409

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 625 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
.
...is it just this one, or are all the current A+S threads equally strange ?
If people wouldn't feed trolls, the signal to noise ratio would improve dramatically.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 08-02-22, 02:37 PM
  #127  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Paul Barnard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 5,409

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 625 Posts
Holy crap that is one seriously damn dumb bicycle rider. If the rider is hoping for the driver to be held legally accountable, so too should the bicycle rider. Crossing double yellow, running a red light, failure to yield right of way and for the damages to the motor vehicle. I hope the driver is charged with hit and run.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-02-22, 07:40 PM
  #128  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,196

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
Holy crap that is one seriously damn dumb bicycle rider. If the rider is hoping for the driver to be held legally accountable, so too should the bicycle rider. Crossing double yellow, running a red light, failure to yield right of way and for the damages to the motor vehicle. I hope the driver is charged with hit and run.
The cyclist's name is Andrew Black. He has a GoFundMe page to get a new bike. His page assigns all the blame to the city councillor, Amy DeGrise of the hit-and-run when Black ran the red light. But there was no mentioning of him running the red light.

Youtube has a lot of videos about the story all concentrating on the hit-and-run. But nobody highlights the fact of the red-light runner. There's an interview with Black who thinks DeGrise should go through the criminal legal process and that there has to be a lesson learned for safer streets. But the interviewer never challenged Black for running the red light. And if he were in a bike lane, he still would have ran the red.

If Amy DeGrise had stopped, this wouldn't have blown up to what it was. But Brown still would have been hit only because...he ran the red.

There's another video reporting that Brown's statement to the police says he was proceeding with the light. Which is a lie.

If he had waited for the green just like the car to his right waited, none of this would have happened.

0:56 rides past stopped car and enters intersection.

From the other angle showing his red light.


Andy Brown is a hypocrite for not taking responsibility for his own actions.

Last edited by Daniel4; 08-02-22 at 07:47 PM.
Daniel4 is offline  
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 08-02-22, 09:02 PM
  #129  
tungsten
Junior Member
 
tungsten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 168

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / CroMag Wideangle/

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
she didn't slow down before entering the intersection like our Canadian friend implies makes her guilty of bad driving.
OMG reading comprehension, dude. I was clearly talking about...
Emergency vehicles around these parts displaying lights and sounding sirens
.
tungsten is offline  
Likes For tungsten:
Old 08-02-22, 09:29 PM
  #130  
GamblerGORD53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Elevation 666m Edmonton Canada
Posts: 2,033

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 139 Posts
Yesterday I watched the lady in yellow, like the crash dummy was wearing. Watch from the start, at 0:50 she is watching her buddy while facing the approaching car.
At 0:55 she raises both arms together twice like the Braves tomahawk chop and then back down. This is as the cyclist starts to swing out to pass the stopped car. Looks like a signal to me.
Right at the collision, she runs away 30 feet and stops. Then comes back to pickup his shoe. She hangs around like they are buddies.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 08-02-22 at 10:36 PM.
GamblerGORD53 is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 03:29 AM
  #131  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13,425
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3615 Post(s)
Liked 994 Times in 693 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 View Post
At 4:03 it shows the better reverse direction view. Almost looks like a Russian insurance scam unfolding.
Against a red light with two cameras?

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 View Post
Yesterday I watched the lady in yellow, like the crash dummy was wearing. Watch from the start, at 0:50 she is watching her buddy while facing the approaching car.
At 0:55 she raises both arms together twice like the Braves tomahawk chop and then back down. This is as the cyclist starts to swing out to pass the stopped car. Looks like a signal to me.
Right at the collision, she runs away 30 feet and stops. Then comes back to pickup his shoe. She hangs around like they are buddies.
The risk of the cyclist actually being killed was very high. People doing insurance scams don’t put themselves at that sort of risk.

It doesn’t seem she would have been able to see the car and she wouldn’t have been able to estimate the speed anywhere near as precise as such a scheme would require.

She’s waving to the person on the other side of the crosswalk.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-03-22 at 04:20 AM.
njkayaker is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 04:39 AM
  #132  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,625

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7106 Post(s)
Liked 7,221 Times in 4,048 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 View Post
Yesterday I watched the lady in yellow, like the crash dummy was wearing. Watch from the start, at 0:50 she is watching her buddy while facing the approaching car.
At 0:55 she raises both arms together twice like the Braves tomahawk chop and then back down. This is as the cyclist starts to swing out to pass the stopped car. Looks like a signal to me.
Right at the collision, she runs away 30 feet and stops. Then comes back to pickup his shoe. She hangs around like they are buddies.

This is the dumbest thing I've read all week. Why would anyone need the signaller if their plan is to throw themselves in front of a car? And who would be crazy enough to do that and expect to be around to collect? This guy was incredibly lucky.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 05:04 AM
  #133  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,843
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 875 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
If people wouldn't feed trolls, the signal to noise ratio would improve dramatically.
Just put the Kitty Lawyer on Ignore and over 50% of the posts in this thread and others disappear.
GhostRider62 is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 07:10 AM
  #134  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,625

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7106 Post(s)
Liked 7,221 Times in 4,048 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
Just put the Kitty Lawyer on Ignore and over 50% of the posts in this thread and others disappear.

Well, 25/134, but we all know math isn't your strong suit.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 07:19 AM
  #135  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,843
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 875 Posts
If a cyclist ran a light and broadsided me in one of those lousy north jersey cities and it was clear the scofflaw was ok, I'd move up a few blocks to render assistance by calling 911 and await the cavalry there. Worst case the victim gets a couple of deserved 500 dollar tickets for running. She was probably scared of being mugged or jacked.
GhostRider62 is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 07:27 AM
  #136  
work4bike
Senior Member
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,662
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 466 Posts
I don't understand how this became such a controversial topic

I'm no lawyer, so I can't be too precise in placing blame, but to my laymen eyes it seem reasonable to say both are at fault. The cyclist not only ran a red light, but he wasn't paying much attention. The motorist after hitting the cyclists just kept going.

When I first saw the video, I didn't think it would last too long, because it was so black and white, hence my first post: "I'm speechless". I didn't think I'd make another post on this; however, what caught my attention was that the driver is a city councilwoman. Who would of guessed That doesn't change the basic premise of the case here, but it does make it more interesting.

What I find very interesting is that the police may be helping the councilwoman to deceive the public. That's the real story here.

But as for all the bickering and splitting of hairs....I don't get it. The only answer that seems to make sense is that people are arguing with other people that they have a history with from other threads and want to continue attacking....I guess...
work4bike is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 07:33 AM
  #137  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,843
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 875 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
I don't understand how this became such a controversial topic

I'm no lawyer, so I can't be too precise in placing blame, but to my laymen eyes it seem reasonable to say both are at fault. The cyclist not only ran a red light, but he wasn't paying much attention. The motorist after hitting the cyclists just kept going.

When I first saw the video, I didn't think it would last too long, because it was so black and white, hence my first post: "I'm speechless". I didn't think I'd make another post on this; however, what caught my attention was that the driver is a city councilwoman. Who would of guessed That doesn't change the basic premise of the case here, but it does make it more interesting.

What I find very interesting is that the police may be helping the councilwoman to deceive the public. That's the real story here.

But as for all the bickering and splitting of hairs....I don't get it. The only answer that seems to make sense is that people are arguing with other people that they have a history with from other threads and want to continue attacking....I guess...
We do not know why she ran. She was wrong. Politicians get special treatment, that is also wrong.

Have you been to lousy cities? I think it is plausible she was scared to stop. We'll never know. Personally, I never ever go to cities like that unless I am forced to. Now, I also understand that others will be outraged of my opinion that north jersey has lousy and dangerous cities that I avoid at all costs.

I do not see all the hair splitting and bickering in this thread? Maybe because the three trolls are on my Iggie.
GhostRider62 is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 07:41 AM
  #138  
work4bike
Senior Member
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,662
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
We do not know why she ran. She was wrong. Politicians get special treatment, that is also wrong.

Have you been to lousy cities? I think it is plausible she was scared to stop. We'll never know. Personally, I never ever go to cities like that unless I am forced to. Now, I also understand that others will be outraged of my opinion that north jersey has lousy and dangerous cities that I avoid at all costs.

I do not see all the hair splitting and bickering in this thread? Maybe because the three trolls are on my Iggie.
True we don't know why she kept going. I'm from a lousy city (Washington DC), so I get that and it's possible. However, what I find fishy is that she, according to new reports, didn't report the accident until six hours later. And no one is answering the question: Did the police contact her about the accident or did she go in on her own?

I think it's safe to say, she's preparing her defense and she just may make the claim about being afraid to stop, but the delay...that's harder to explain. I think it's safe to say, that if this was some regular joe, he/she would be treated much differently.




.
work4bike is offline  
Likes For work4bike:
Old 08-03-22, 08:02 AM
  #139  
JW Fas
Cop Magnet
 
JW Fas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
She was probably scared of being mugged or jacked.
That still doesn't negate her duty to stop and remain at the scene. However, if she were attacked after stopping, that would have created an extenuating circumstance where it would've been acceptable to flee.
JW Fas is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 08:05 AM
  #140  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 204 Posts
Shocking to see people on a bike forum defending a hit and run. The fact that the cyclist ran a red light doesn't change anything. How would you like it if a car got you when you weren't paying attention and doing something stupid? If a clueless pedestrian walks out in front of you on the MUP are you entitled to hit them?
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 08:08 AM
  #141  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
If a cyclist ran a light and broadsided me in one of those lousy north jersey cities and it was clear the scofflaw was ok, I'd move up a few blocks to render assistance by calling 911 and await the cavalry there. Worst case the victim gets a couple of deserved 500 dollar tickets for running. She was probably scared of being mugged or jacked.
The guy was lucky, that could have been much worse. She had no way of knowing that she didn't seriously injury or potentially kill someone when she decided to keep on driving. Not stopping because you are afraid of being mugged is laughable and frankly shameful
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 08:09 AM
  #142  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,843
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 875 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
True we don't know why she kept going. I'm from a lousy city (Washington DC), so I get that and it's possible. However, what I find fishy is that she, according to new reports, didn't report the accident until six hours later. And no one is answering the question: Did the police contact her about the accident or did she go in on her own?

I think it's safe to say, she's preparing her defense and she just may make the claim about being afraid to stop, but the delay...that's harder to explain. I think it's safe to say, that if this was some regular joe, he/she would be treated much differently.

.
No question there. Look at the husband of a famous politician who ran a stop sign in Napa. Drunk as a skunk with drugs in him. Both cars totaled. The victim seriously injured. Paul had an 1199 card and lots of connections. ANY of us would be fighting a felony charge and jail time on that one. But, that is not how it works. The lady who ran away in this thread probably got legal advice (from the Chief of Police) and came forward to collect her two tickets and one point on here license. I doubt the judge will do anything.

I witnessed an egregious traffic violation by a school bus driver who totalled a kids car and he was hurt. No charges. I went to court three times as a witness, but they kept pushing the case for weird reasons. I lost many, many thousands of dollars in business going to court. Eventually, it was tried. They were going to give her a small ticket and then they say, oh.....is the witness here? I raise my hand and they take me into a back room with the government Prostitutor and the defendant's attorney. She should have had her license taken away and not be allowed to drive kids, but they just upped the fine a bit. I am sure she is still blowing lights, speeding, and crossing the center line. The council lady will get a deal. No question.
GhostRider62 is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 08:13 AM
  #143  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,843
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 875 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
The guy was lucky, that could have been much worse. She had no way of knowing that she didn't seriously injury or potentially kill someone when she decided to keep on driving. Not stopping because you are afraid of being mugged is laughable and frankly shameful
He bounced right up. He wasn't hurt.

The victim 100% absolutely should have stopped and called 911.

So shouldn't the cyclist who blew the light.
GhostRider62 is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 09:10 AM
  #144  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,024

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 293 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23869 Post(s)
Liked 7,546 Times in 5,333 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
...

I witnessed an egregious traffic violation by a school bus driver who totalled a kids car and he was hurt. No charges. I went to court three times as a witness, but they kept pushing the case for weird reasons. I lost many, many thousands of dollars in business going to court. Eventually, it was tried. They were going to give her a small ticket and then they say, oh.....is the witness here? I raise my hand and they take me into a back room with the government Prostitutor and the defendant's attorney. She should have had her license taken away and not be allowed to drive kids, but they just upped the fine a bit. I am sure she is still blowing lights, speeding, and crossing the center line. The council lady will get a deal. No question.
....IKR ? All the school bus drivers here are people of great influence. Here, most of them only work part time. It's a job with huge social standing.
__________________
3alarmer is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 09:13 AM
  #145  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
He bounced right up. He wasn't hurt.

The victim 100% absolutely should have stopped and called 911.

So shouldn't the cyclist who blew the light.
I "bounced right up" when I broke my neck and had to get myself out of the ocean with waves crashing around me, straight up almost died. The dude sat down and was trying to recuperate after getting hit. He could be seriously hurt but was able to get himself out of the street. That car was being negligent, should have been paying attention. Who cares that the cyclist ran the red, he obviously made a mistake but thats not the point. You have the audacity to cal her the victim? lol.

There could be a whole other thread on how to run red lights and all the ways this guy messed up but it would be besides the point. Thats a textbook hit and run, worse than a car vs car hit and run. Dude could have been killed
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 09:17 AM
  #146  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,625

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7106 Post(s)
Liked 7,221 Times in 4,048 Posts
People should take another look at the NJ law if they think that she didn't need to stop if he wasn't injured. It's also hit and run if any property is damaged, and that bike is clearly totaled.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 09:21 AM
  #147  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,024

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 293 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23869 Post(s)
Liked 7,546 Times in 5,333 Posts
Stalker alert...

I don't understand how this became such a controversial topic....
....But as for all the bickering and splitting of hairs....I don't get it. The only answer that seems to make sense is that people are arguing with other people that they have a history with from other threads and want to continue attacking....I guess...
...sez the guy who just posted in teh P+R for the first time in over a year.
__________________
3alarmer is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 09:23 AM
  #148  
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,635

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 699 Posts
There are so many legally prescribed drugs out there that alter your driving abilities along with street drugs. I've seen commercial drivers quit their jobs instead of take a random test so they could protect their license. Not saying it is what happened, but six hours can clean a test up quite a bit.
curbtender is offline  
Old 08-03-22, 09:26 AM
  #149  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,024

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 293 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23869 Post(s)
Liked 7,546 Times in 5,333 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
...

The victim 100% absolutely should have stopped and called 911.

So shouldn't the cyclist who blew the light ?
...let me make certain I understand this post, please. You are now calling the driver of the car "the victim" ? Do I have that right ? I had honestly forgotten how strangely some of these A+S topics get twisted into knots.
__________________
3alarmer is offline  
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-03-22, 09:29 AM
  #150  
JW Fas
Cop Magnet
 
JW Fas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
He bounced right up. He wasn't hurt.
You don't know that. I stood right up after that texting cop hit me, but I still needed physical therapy for soft tissue damage. At the time of the collision, the adrenaline greatly dulled the pain, so I had no way of knowing the full extent of my injuries.

Furthermore, NJ's hit-and-run statute merely increases the existing penalties for not stopping when there is physical injury. You're still on the hook if there is only property damage. No reasonable person would think there wasn't property damage after plowing through a bicycle at that speed.
JW Fas is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.