Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Video: cyclist broadsided

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Video: cyclist broadsided

Old 08-18-22, 11:59 AM
  #201  
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,612

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
This thread is insane. It's been summarized multiple times by people with a little bit of sense.

1. Horrible riding. Ran a red light. Should get a ticket. (Traffic offense)
2. Apparent criminal act leaving the scene of an accident. (Criminal Code) Even the "I'm afraid I'm going to get mugged" - the response is to stop, call emergency services and stay in your car if you're that petrified.
3. Investigation by news outlets - seems a pattern of this politician not believing in cause & effect or fulfilling responsibilities (paying bills, tickets, etc.)

Other than the possibility of the driver getting away with the hit & run offense from connections, there's not much to discuss. The cyclist was 100% in the wrong for the crash, and while the driver could have been driving slower, there was not sufficient reaction time to do anything even at a lower reasonable speed. Doesn't really look like she was even speeding as a possible contributing factor to the collision .
Agreed. All the noise in this thread has been caused by people with "hot takes" on stuff that's painfully obvious, or the one guy who needed to make a straw man in order to gin up an argument.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 08-20-22, 06:44 AM
  #202  
Senior Member
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,987
Liked 1,125 Times in 846 Posts
This story doesn't seem to be going away in the local news; I'm sure much to the chagrin of Amy DeGise. All the calls for her resignation, forced her to comment....


work4bike is offline  
Old 08-21-22, 03:36 AM
  #203  
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,612

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
This story doesn't seem to be going away in the local news; I'm sure much to the chagrin of Amy DeGise. All the calls for her resignation, forced her to comment....


https://youtu.be/QrNGapA_BnM

Her statement was worse than saying nothing at all.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 08-21-22, 11:54 AM
  #204  
Senior Member
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,987
Liked 1,125 Times in 846 Posts
It's true that she probably won't be cited for speeding, in addition to the charge of hit-and-run. However, (and this is just out of curiosity), I wonder if they could cite her for speeding?

I went back via Google Street View and looked down the street (Forrest St.) she was driving down just before she hit him at the intersection of Forrest St & Martin L. King Dr. I don't know the width of the intersection, but it only took her about a second to cross it.

I could not find an official speed limit sign on Forrest St, from the direction she came, but the street she was coming from was a one way street, very narrow, with cars parked on both sides of the road and residence tightly packed on both sides. In at least two places on the road there were speed bumps, with yellow signs warning of the bumps and one listing speed as 15-mph, but it's not a white/black sign, rather one of those yellow signs. After looking at the street, I wouldn't be comfortable driving faster than 15-mph down that road and not because of the speed bumps, it's just too small and too close to parked cars and houses.


They probably will not cite her for speeding, I was just curious if they could if so motivated.






.
work4bike is offline  
Old 08-21-22, 03:55 PM
  #205  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 8,721

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Liked 2,492 Times in 1,287 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
It's true that she probably won't be cited for speeding, in addition to the charge of hit-and-run. However, (and this is just out of curiosity), I wonder if they could cite her for speeding?

I went back via Google Street View and looked down the street (Forrest St.) she was driving down just before she hit him at the intersection of Forrest St & Martin L. King Dr. I don't know the width of the intersection, but it only took her about a second to cross it.

I could not find an official speed limit sign on Forrest St, from the direction she came, but the street she was coming from was a one way street, very narrow, with cars parked on both sides of the road and residence tightly packed on both sides. In at least two places on the road there were speed bumps, with yellow signs warning of the bumps and one listing speed as 15-mph, but it's not a white/black sign, rather one of those yellow signs. After looking at the street, I wouldn't be comfortable driving faster than 15-mph down that road and not because of the speed bumps, it's just too small and too close to parked cars and houses.


They probably will not cite her for speeding, I was just curious if they could if so motivated.






.
The speed that she was going at is irrelevant and doesn't change the fact that the cyclists is 100% at fault for causing this accident.
wolfchild is offline  
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-22-22, 04:53 AM
  #206  
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,612

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The speed that she was going at is irrelevant and doesn't change the fact that the cyclists is 100% at fault for causing this accident.
Agreed. And she is 100% at fault for the crime of running.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-22-22, 05:02 AM
  #207  
Senior Member
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,987
Liked 1,125 Times in 846 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The speed that she was going at is irrelevant and doesn't change the fact that the cyclists is 100% at fault for causing this accident.
I'm not attempting to relieve the cyclist of his fault in the accident. It was simply a question of curiosity. Chill out dude...
work4bike is offline  
Old 08-22-22, 08:52 AM
  #208  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,501

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I'm not attempting to relieve the cyclist of his fault in the accident. It was simply a question of curiosity. Chill out dude...
Don't use the word accident. It was no accident. The cyclist crossed on a red light.
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 08-22-22, 11:12 AM
  #209  
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,612

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Don't use the word accident. It was no accident. The cyclist crossed on a red light.

So he deliberately got hurt?
livedarklions is offline  
Old 08-22-22, 11:46 AM
  #210  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,858

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,877 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So he deliberately got hurt?
More like ignorantly got hurt.
curbtender is offline  
Old 08-22-22, 11:49 AM
  #211  
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,612

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
More like ignorantly got hurt.

I believe that's properly called an "accident".
livedarklions is offline  
Old 08-22-22, 12:05 PM
  #212  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,858

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,877 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I believe that's properly called an "accident".
So it is. Being he was an employed delivery driver I would think they would pull his app. Much like how this council person will be out of work.You think he was drug tested after this accident?
curbtender is offline  
Likes For curbtender:
Old 08-22-22, 01:05 PM
  #213  
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,612

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
So it is. Being he was an employed delivery driver I would think they would pull his app. Much like how this council person will be out of work.You think he was drug tested after this accident?

Maybe he'll lose his bike license.

Gotta say, not that curious about him. The interesting thing about her is she's a public figure.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 08-22-22, 03:29 PM
  #214  
Senior Member
 
work4bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlantic Beach Florida
Posts: 1,987
Liked 1,125 Times in 846 Posts
My impression of the guy (guy on a bike) in all the interviews I've seen/heard him in, is that he's a nice guy, but not all there.

What was really funny of the accident (or whatever you want to call it) is that he was crossing a one way street and the only time he seemed to look for oncoming cars is when he looked to his left....the opposite direction the cars were coming from on that road -- and he looked in that direction just as he got hit by the car
work4bike is offline  
Old 08-22-22, 05:42 PM
  #215  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,501

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Don't call it an accident.

https://www.thecut.com/2016/05/dont-...-accident.html
"The word “accident,” unlike “crash,” can connote an absence of blame, shifting responsibility away from the driver to make the whole thing seem like some unfortunate cosmic coincidence. "

https://www.zavodnicklaw.com/blog/do...t-an-accident/
"You see, if you allow someone to think something was an accident, then you are saying that it couldn’t have been avoided. And if it couldn’t have been avoided by acting differently, then why bother to change your conduct in the future-accidents happen right?"

https://www.coluccio-law.com/say-crash-not-accident/
"
An “accident” is an event that is neither predictable nor preventable. The majority of car crashes are caused by a driver who is:
  • Distracted;
  • Inattentive;
  • Speeding;
  • Ignoring traffic signals;
  • Making bad driving decisions; or
  • Under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Other crashes may be the result of bad road design or unsafe vehicles.

These are predictable and preventable collisions, not “mistakes” or “mishaps. And certainly not “accidents.”

"Have you ever heard of a “plane accident”? The common phrase is “plane crash.”

That’s because we know that planes don’t just fall out of the sky. Something goes wrong. It may be purposeful, or it may be negligent. But a plane crash is very rarely a “plane accident.”"
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 08-24-22, 05:18 AM
  #216  
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,612

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Don't call it an accident.

https://www.thecut.com/2016/05/dont-...-accident.html
"The word “accident,” unlike “crash,” can connote an absence of blame, shifting responsibility away from the driver to make the whole thing seem like some unfortunate cosmic coincidence. "

https://www.zavodnicklaw.com/blog/do...t-an-accident/
"You see, if you allow someone to think something was an accident, then you are saying that it couldn’t have been avoided. And if it couldn’t have been avoided by acting differently, then why bother to change your conduct in the future-accidents happen right?"

https://www.coluccio-law.com/say-crash-not-accident/
"
An “accident” is an event that is neither predictable nor preventable. The majority of car crashes are caused by a driver who is:
  • Distracted;
  • Inattentive;
  • Speeding;
  • Ignoring traffic signals;
  • Making bad driving decisions; or
  • Under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Other crashes may be the result of bad road design or unsafe vehicles.

These are predictable and preventable collisions, not “mistakes” or “mishaps. And certainly not “accidents.”

"Have you ever heard of a “plane accident”? The common phrase is “plane crash.”

That’s because we know that planes don’t just fall out of the sky. Something goes wrong. It may be purposeful, or it may be negligent. But a plane crash is very rarely a “plane accident.”"

Seriously?! The plane accident lie again? The word " accident " is, by international agreement, the word used to describe any aircraft occurrence involving death, injury or property damage. If no one is hurt and nothing damaged, it's officially classified as an "incident". The NTSB officially calls it accident investigation and issues accident reports.

The only thing conveyed by the dictionary definitions of " accident " is a lack of intent. Your quotes above are part of this idiotic campaign to tell people that they don't know how they've actually been using the word. I think it just discredits the advocate making the clearly absurd assertion that "accident" implies lack of fault or avoidability. There's no contradiction in the phrases "negligent accident" or "avoidable accident" any more than there would be with "negligent crash" or "avoidable crash.".

I'm not sure when advocates decided that lying about common word usage was a good idea, but thanks for posting some really transparent examples of advocates doing that yet again.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-24-22, 11:25 AM
  #217  
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,612

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Don't call it an accident.

https://www.thecut.com/2016/05/dont-...-accident.html
"The word “accident,” unlike “crash,” can connote an absence of blame, shifting responsibility away from the driver to make the whole thing seem like some unfortunate cosmic coincidence. "
So tell me why that isn't true of this sentence:

"The meteorite, without warning, fell from the sky and crashed through the roof of Mr. Smiley's car."

That would literally be the result of some unfortunate cosmic coincidence.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 08-27-22, 08:37 PM
  #218  
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 27,550
Liked 4,604 Times in 3,416 Posts
I think the woman driving was speeding. Possibly also distracted driving.

Unfortunately the video only showed the cross street. But, none of the other cars in the neighborhood seem to be driving about 10 MPH. Ahhh, I see a 25 MPH sign on the cross street.

Then the councilwoman blows through at about 3x the speed of the other cars.

The cyclist clearly ran a red light, passing cars on the left to get into the intersection, and didn't even seem to look both ways.

However, if the driver was speeding, she is equally at fault, perhaps even more so.

If one knows the frame rate, angle of camera, etc... one would be able to go back and hand measure her speed determine how fast she was going when she entered the intersection, as well as how fast she was going at the time of impact. I can't see any brake lights, although it is a bad camera angle.

In the few seconds the kid was in the rear view mirror, it would have been impossible to ascertain how badly he was hurt. Apparently nothing broken, but I certainly wouldn't be happy hitting a windshield.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 08-27-22, 09:54 PM
  #219  
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 27,550
Liked 4,604 Times in 3,416 Posts
Oregon has a "Basic Speed Law".
https://oregon.public.law/statutes/ors_811.100
https://oregon.public.law/statutes/ors_801.305

It wouldn't necessarily apply to Jersey City. But, it is food for thought.

ORS 811.100
Violation of basic speed rule

A person commits the offense of violating the basic speed rule if the person drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard to all of the following:
(a)The traffic.
(b)The surface and width of the highway.
(c)The hazard at intersections.
(d)Weather.
(e)Visibility.
(f)Any other conditions then existing.
And, unless there is confusion, "Highway" is also defined.
ORS 801.305
“Highway”

(1)“Highway” means every public way, road, street, thoroughfare and place, including bridges, viaducts and other structures within the boundaries of this state, open, used or intended for use of the general public for vehicles or vehicular traffic as a matter of right.
In theory, if conditions require a slower speed, then one has to drive by whatever is "reasonable and prudent".

Now, looking at New Jersey:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jer...ection-39-4-98

2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 39 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC REGULATION
Section 39:4-98 - Rates of speed.

39:4-98 Rates of speed.

39:4-98. Rates of speed. Subject to the provisions of R.S.39:4-96 and R.S.39:4-97 and except in those instances where a lower speed is specified in this chapter, it shall be prima facie lawful for the driver of a vehicle to drive it at a speed not exceeding the following:
...
b. (1) Twenty-five miles per hour in any business or residential district;
...
The driver of every vehicle shall, consistent with the requirements of this section, drive at an appropriate reduced speed when approaching and crossing an intersection or railway grade crossing, when approaching and going around a curve, when approaching a hill crest, when traveling upon any narrow or winding roadway, and when special hazard exists with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.
Ok, so the speed limit was 25 MPH. But, there were quite a few pedestrians around, jay walkers, kids, car parked in the middle of the crosswalk (noted earlier as obstructing the view), a Mercedes had gotten stuck in the middle of the intersection on red, and had just cleared, etc. After the accident, the person who picks up the shoe slowly walks across the street against the light.

It is basically not legal to run over people.



Most of the people in that community appear to be fairly dark skinned. Is this councilwoman unable to deal with individuals of a different race? Was that the reason she didn't stop? She just had run over a kid, and didn't even hit the brakes.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 08-28-22, 07:50 PM
  #220  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 60
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Idiot bicycle ran the RED light. Cars always win. STUPID.
Crash2Much is offline  
Old 08-28-22, 07:55 PM
  #221  
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 27,550
Liked 4,604 Times in 3,416 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash2Much
Idiot bicycle ran the RED light. Cars always win. STUPID.
True.

Not just running a red light, but he passed a car that was stopped for the light so that he could get through the intersection.

And, apparently never looked in the direction the car was coming.

Still, the car that hit the cyclist seemed to be going somewhat faster than other cars going through that intersection. And, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of attempting to slow down or stop either before hitting the cyclist, or after hitting him.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 08-29-22, 06:47 AM
  #222  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 60
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
This story doesn't seem to be going away in the local news; I'm sure much to the chagrin of Amy DeGise. All the calls for her resignation, forced her to comment....


https://youtu.be/QrNGapA_BnM
Now I see it was a hit and run driver and people protest claiming driver thinks she is above the law. It is easy to take sides with both groups. If I was the driver and a car ran the red light and cause me to wreck it would make me mad as hell the wreck was the other jerks fault. I don't think I am above the law but I would love to drive away to avoid becoming tangled in the legal system. I live in a town with lots of bikes, college students on bikes and we have a very BIG bike club. People on bikes are killed here all the time and police claim it is always bikes fault. I refuse to ride on city street & other roads anymore its a death wish. I had a good friend get killed parked at a stop sign. A woman on her way home from work cut the corner crossed over to the wrong side of the street and hit my friend head on 45 mph killed him dead. Bike was black color, his clothes were black, parked on black asphalt road, he was invisible to the car. driver was not charged. A college student was hit in the rear at 50 mph killed him too, driver said, I did not see him, driver was not charged. I have lost count how many bikers have been killed and no one charged for their death. I have a friend with a very bright RED flashing light on his helmet he looks like a police car coming he can be seen 1/4 mile away.
Crash2Much is offline  
Old 08-29-22, 10:42 AM
  #223  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,501

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash2Much
...A woman on her way home from work cut the corner crossed over to the wrong side of the street and hit my friend head on 45 mph killed him dead. Bike was black color, his clothes were black, parked on black asphalt road, he was invisible to the car. driver was not charged. A college student was hit in the rear at 50 mph killed him too, driver said, I did not see him, driver was not charged. I have lost count how many bikers have been killed and no one charged for their death. I have a friend with a very bright RED flashing light on his helmet he looks like a police car coming he can be seen 1/4 mile away.
I see this as a trend that the driver is normally not charged if he stays at the scene and victims are either pedestrians or cyclists.

The only time drivers are charged are
1) hit-and-run;
2) DUI or suspended or no licence;
3) already wanted by the police;
4) the victim is in a car or motor vehicle.
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 09-04-22, 07:58 PM
  #224  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 60
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Dickerson Pike or Donaldson Pike don't remember which Nashville TN people walking after dark are killed several times every week. Roads are for cars not bikes or people walking. People try to cross the busy highway after dark to buy a pack of cigarettes or bottle of whisky and get killed. Most cars refuse to stop they don't want to deal with the legal system & TV News makes it sound like the car is always at fault. .Most of these people are on drugs or drunk if the car stops they never get charged. This has been going on for years TV keep saying why is nothing done? I think the reason nothing is getting done is because no one cares if drunks & druggies get killed the world will be a better place without them. .Lots of curves on that road its hard to see with your head lights shining off the road in the weeds and people try to out run a car.

Last edited by Crash2Much; 09-04-22 at 08:06 PM.
Crash2Much is offline  
Likes For Crash2Much:
Old 09-05-22, 02:10 PM
  #225  
Senior Member
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 7,788

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,252 Times in 2,065 Posts
Just prohibit sales of tobacco & alcohol after a certain time for those areas where peds are frequently hit.
__________________
-YMMV
Troul is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.