Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

£47,000 Jaguar Crushes Bike in Heated Dispute

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

£47,000 Jaguar Crushes Bike in Heated Dispute

Old 11-19-22, 04:10 PM
  #51  
JW Fas
Cop Magnet
 
JW Fas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4 View Post
Because society values drivers and, unlike the "Wow, You Must Be Rich" thread in General Cycling, assumes cyclists can't afford cars.
A bit off topic, but the NYT article in this A&S thread had a section worth saving:

The university warned students returning to campus that about 220 bikes, valued at $267,000, had been stolen in and around the city since June.
I loved that one detail, because it's great for educating someone who is stuck in the 1990 mentality that a decent bike should cost $200. Nope. The average bike in that article was worth over $1200.
JW Fas is offline  
Old 11-19-22, 04:56 PM
  #52  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,226

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 2,755 Times in 1,842 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow View Post
Tubby got what he deserved and is an embarrassment to cycling. Maybe don't stand in the middle of the road talking on ur cellphone blocking the 5000lbs of motorized weaponry...moron.
WOW... What does the cyclists weight have to do with anything? Fat shaming and attacks like that are immature and a good sign you have no real argument here. If you notice he was apparently calling the police after the person in the SUV started fighting with him.

It sounds like the vehicle may have been "blocking the box" as we say in 'murica and maybe the cyclist was crossing at the crosswalk at an inopportune time but still there is no reason to try and kill someone over that.

Violence against cyclists needs to stop regardless of the situation. If you cannot be a mature responsible person when driving your 5000lbs of motorized weaponry than you shouldn't be allowed to drive. Driving is a privilege not a right and that license you are supposed to have is not a license to kill. Also people who are supposed to be cyclists or pro-cycling in some form or another or even not should not be pro-violence towards cyclists. We don't need to give the dangerous drivers more excuse to come after us. "Well the person on the bike forum said we should hit cyclists and they are a cyclist so..."

When you say the last word in your posting make sure you are looking in the mirror it will help. Seriously posts like this don't help you, they don't help cyclists and just make you look silly. If someone is not being violent towards you, you have no reason to be violent towards them or promote violence towards them. Just put yourself in that or any other cyclists shoes who has been attacked like that and ask yourself would I really want to be here? It doesn't matter if the cyclist was on a cell phone in a crosswalk or taking up a lane (as is legally allowed in some places) or whatever so long as they weren't not actively being violent for no reason there is zero need to wish violence upon them.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-19-22, 06:54 PM
  #53  
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,995
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 472 Posts
I don't get what the price of the car has to do with anything - in the original article or the OP post. It's irrelevant.
Camilo is offline  
Old 11-19-22, 07:50 PM
  #54  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,250

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2757 Post(s)
Liked 4,849 Times in 1,948 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
I don't get what the price of the car has to do with anything - in the original article or the OP post. It's irrelevant.
It's the most important part of the story, because it allows us to instantly determine the mindset and intent of the driver.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-19-22, 11:14 PM
  #55  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 6,045

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,122 Times in 1,426 Posts
Careful where ya blast your snot rockets, folks!
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 11-20-22, 11:43 AM
  #56  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,226

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 2,755 Times in 1,842 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
It's the most important part of the story, because it allows us to instantly determine the mindset and intent of the driver.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-20-22, 03:09 PM
  #57  
georges1
Steel is real
 
georges1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 520

Bikes: 1992 Giant Tourer,1992 Merida Albon, 1996 Scapin, 1997 Kona Kilaueua, 1993 Peugeot Prestige, 1991 Raleigh Team Z (to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon(to be built),1992CTWallis(to be built),1998Vetta Team (to be built),1995Fausto Coppi (to be built)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Your post is an embarrassment to ****posting. In the US, I'm pretty sure that's assault with a deadly weapon.
Oh,it is indeed.
georges1 is offline  
Old 11-21-22, 08:19 AM
  #58  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,352

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 382 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
"Community Resolutions provide an opportunity for the police to deal with appropriate low level offences and offenders without recourse to formal criminal justice sanctions.
This could include a simple apology, an offer of compensation or a promise to clear up any graffiti or criminal damage."

It is similar, but different, to restorative justice in some US jurisdictions. (Most US jurisdictions with restorative justice require agreement between the victim, the accused, and police, prosecution, defense, and a judge to divert the accused out of the criminal justice system.)

In the UK, with some exceptions, a community resolutions order just requires consent of the victim, the accused, and police at the scene.
(And it requires the accused to admit blame.)


-mr. bill
If the victim was in a car, this case would not have gone to Community Resolutions.
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 11-21-22, 08:33 AM
  #59  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 36,011
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16570 Post(s)
Liked 11,534 Times in 5,551 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
Careful where ya blast your snot rockets, folks!
Spitting and Snotting Etiquette
indyfabz is offline  
Old 11-21-22, 09:05 AM
  #60  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 14,476

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7623 Post(s)
Liked 7,989 Times in 4,487 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4 View Post
If the victim was in a car, this case would not have gone to Community Resolutions.
How the hell do you know that?!

If the victim had been in a car, this would have been a completely different scenario as it would be ramming one car into another rather than actually crushing the vehicle, not to mention that the victim would have been placed in far less danger of serious injury. You're just speculating on the likely outcome of a vague counterfactual based on your presuppositions.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 11-21-22, 01:32 PM
  #61  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 6,045

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,122 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
wonder if they found & drank a half bottle of potato vodka in a dumpster?
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 11-21-22, 10:09 PM
  #62  
SurferRosa
señor miembro
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 6,715

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 4,054 Times in 2,151 Posts
I like to say, "jag-u-ar," three syllables.

Porsche is just two.
SurferRosa is offline  
Likes For SurferRosa:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.