Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Contrarian rebelliousness, the birthright of cyclists

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Contrarian rebelliousness, the birthright of cyclists

Old 11-29-23, 11:41 PM
  #1  
Slowfoot
Thread Starter
 
dmarkun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Reston, VA
Posts: 101

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh International, 1979? Scapin, 1980 Trek 715, 1984 SR Maxima, 1993 Bridgestone RB1, 1998 753 Waterford X-12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 53 Posts
Contrarian rebelliousness, the birthright of cyclists

Driving home tonight around 11p. A main road, two lanes each way, a bit of traffic. About 30 mph. Very dark, not many street lights:
What is that? ... Holy cow a bike! I hit the brakes. No reflector. No tail light. The man is in the middle of the freaking lane - Invisible blackness.
I change lanes and pass. At the next intersection there's a street light so I pull over. The man on the bike passes and I shout to him: "Get a tail light!" No high beams, no menacing, no expletives.
Of course I get the finger. I don't use that gesture. But if I did I probably would have done the same thing.
dmarkun is online now  
Likes For dmarkun:
Old 11-30-23, 03:26 AM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 8,721

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Interesting... Isn't there a study which proves that cyclists are better people than drivers ?...
wolfchild is offline  
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-30-23, 07:54 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern NY...Brownville
Posts: 2,590

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 275 Posts
cyclists and vehicle drivers are people and many people are just plain a ss..les...don't worry someone will get him sooner or later, just be glad it wasn't you.
Kai Winters is offline  
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 11-30-23, 08:26 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Missoula MT
Posts: 1,781

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 860 Posts
Originally Posted by dmarkun
Driving home tonight around 11p. A main road, two lanes each way, a bit of traffic. About 30 mph. Very dark, not many street lights:
What is that? ... Holy cow a bike! I hit the brakes. No reflector. No tail light. The man is in the middle of the freaking lane - Invisible blackness.
I change lanes and pass. At the next intersection there's a street light so I pull over. The man on the bike passes and I shout to him: "Get a tail light!" No high beams, no menacing, no expletives.
Of course I get the finger. I don't use that gesture. But if I did I probably would have done the same thing.
I believe studies have shown sudden flip of the finger in an angry gesture releases endorphins that make you feel better...well maybe not real scientific studies but I always feel better followed by a loud ATHOL for some reason in my neck of the woods ATHOL gets better results....
jadmt is offline  
Old 11-30-23, 08:35 AM
  #5  
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,998

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
I believe studies have shown sudden flip of the finger in an angry gesture releases endorphins that make you feel better...well maybe not real scientific studies but I always feel better followed by a loud ATHOL for some reason in my neck of the woods ATHOL gets better results....
What are the "better results" that a loud ATHOL produces over any other angry (or no) gesture response?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 11-30-23, 08:41 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Missoula MT
Posts: 1,781

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 860 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What are the "better results" that a loud ATHOL produces over any other angry (or no) gesture response?
the offender usually busts out laughing.....try it sometimes....
jadmt is offline  
Old 11-30-23, 09:29 AM
  #7  
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,998

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
the offender usually busts out laughing.....try it sometimes....
Luckily I do not encounter offenders very often, even though I ride daily around town. On those rare occasions when I am offended by another user of the road I have found that no verbal response or physical gesture from me produces the desired result of soonest returning me to the right frame of mind to continue enjoying the ride.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 11-30-23, 09:37 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Missoula MT
Posts: 1,781

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 860 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Luckily I do not encounter offenders very often, even though I ride daily around town. On those rare occasions when I am offended by another user of the road I have found that no verbal response or physical gesture from me produces the desired result of soonest returning me to the right frame of mind to continue enjoying the ride.
I don't know much about Burlington Iowa, heck I don't anything about it but sounds like the kind of place ATHOL would work, give it a try next time even if the middle finger doesn't go up....some times it takes practice to get the right inflection in your voice so I would suggest saying it out loud several different times until you have mastered it....
jadmt is offline  
Old 11-30-23, 11:45 AM
  #9  
I'm good to go!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 15,169

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6297 Post(s)
Liked 4,891 Times in 3,369 Posts
Seems that you saw the person in time to avoid them. Isn't that good enough? Or do we need to force everyone to do exactly as we all expect they should behave?

Though I wouldn't be riding at night without a tail light and head light as well as reflectors and other stuff, I don't know that I should get enraged over someone that chooses not to and gets away with it.
Iride01 is offline  
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-30-23, 12:03 PM
  #10  
Happy With My Bikes
 
Chuck M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,195

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,324 Times in 1,123 Posts
I take it he had a helmet because the absense of one was not mentioned.
__________________
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels." -- Heinz Stücke

Chuck M is offline  
Old 11-30-23, 12:33 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,592

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,606 Times in 2,357 Posts
lots of ppl have written "if they can't see me, they can't hit me" there's no helping some ppl
rumrunn6 is offline  
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-30-23, 12:39 PM
  #12  
Punk Rock Lives
 
Roughstuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest
Posts: 3,307

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
I believe studies have shown sudden flip of the finger in an angry gesture releases endorphins that make you feel better...well maybe not real scientific studies but I always feel better followed by a loud ATHOL for some reason in my neck of the woods ATHOL gets better results....
Yes, the same studies show that swearing, especially prolonged blue streaks, releases chemicals which relax the part of the brain. You will notice that most swear words contain a lot of "explosive consonants" like K, F, G and B.

I economize on my blue streaks by saying just the first letter of every word: hence, "GDSMFKADFB!" Ma
kes you sound insane but less offensive.
Roughstuff is offline  
Old 11-30-23, 12:45 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Missoula MT
Posts: 1,781

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 860 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
Yes, the same studies show that swearing, especially prolonged blue streaks, releases chemicals which relax the part of the brain. You will notice that most swear words contain a lot of "explosive consonants" like K, F, G and B.

I economize on my blue streaks by saying just the first letter of every word: hence, "GDSMFKADFB!" Ma
kes you sound insane but less offensive.
I bet that takes some practice to get that out so it rolls of the tongue...once mastered I can see how that is relaxing....
jadmt is offline  
Old 11-30-23, 04:45 PM
  #14  
For The Fun of It
 
Paul Barnard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 5,854

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 1,650 Times in 831 Posts
Originally Posted by dmarkun
Driving home tonight around 11p. A main road, two lanes each way, a bit of traffic. About 30 mph. Very dark, not many street lights:
What is that? ... Holy cow a bike! I hit the brakes. No reflector. No tail light. The man is in the middle of the freaking lane - Invisible blackness.
I change lanes and pass. At the next intersection there's a street light so I pull over. The man on the bike passes and I shout to him: "Get a tail light!" No high beams, no menacing, no expletives.
Of course I get the finger. I don't use that gesture. But if I did I probably would have done the same thing.
Do you make a practice of verbally engaging other road users who violate the law? I think you'd find that they'd often reply with a one finger salute. You'll often get that when you use the horn too.

Two truisms identified in your comments. Motorists for some reason or another feel like it's okay to shout at cyclists. Motorists think cyclists are more contrarian than other motorists.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 11-30-23, 05:06 PM
  #15  
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,998

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I take it he had a helmet because the absense of one was not mentioned.
And nothing raises the hackles of a nattering nanny with a need to vocalize more than a bicyclist without the de rigueur headgear.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 11-30-23, 07:47 PM
  #16  
Just Pedaling
 
SpedFast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: US West Coast
Posts: 1,047

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 363 Posts
As long as I didn't hit him or cause myself damage avoiding him, I could care less. I feel for the poor soul that hits him eventually, and one will, and they will feel bad and possibly responsible for some idiots poor judgement, or not.
SpedFast is offline  
Old 12-01-23, 09:37 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,592

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,606 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
Yes, the same studies show that swearing, especially prolonged blue streaks, releases chemicals which relax the part of the brain. You will notice that most swear words contain a lot of "explosive consonants" like K, F, G and B.
I economize on my blue streaks by saying just the first letter of every word: hence, "GDSMFKADFB!" Makes you sound insane but less offensive.
Wifey has taken to moaning about the house. I ask what's wrong, she says "nothing, but it makes me feel better" um, OK Honey ...
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 12-01-23, 09:44 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,592

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,606 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Do you make a practice of verbally engaging other road users who violate the law? I think you'd find that they'd often reply with a one finger salute. You'll often get that when you use the horn too.
Two truisms identified in your comments. Motorists for some reason or another feel like it's okay to shout at cyclists. Motorists think cyclists are more contrarian than other motorists.
I have been known to say the words: "stop your car" "just stop your car" as I cycle toward a T intersection, where I have the right of way, & the driver has a stop sign, but they just keeping rolling, on a collision course w/ me. as-in "hey, I'm cycling here"

trivia, that line was ad-libbed by Dustin Hoffman

rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 12-01-23, 02:47 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Far beyond the pale horizon.
Posts: 14,335
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4301 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by dmarkun
Contrarian rebelliousness, the birthright of cyclists
I guess you ride like this person.

One stupid person doesn't really represent an entire group (many of whom try not to be "contrarian").
njkayaker is offline  
Old 12-01-23, 02:48 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Far beyond the pale horizon.
Posts: 14,335
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4301 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Interesting... Isn't there a study which proves that cyclists are better people than drivers ?...
Clearly, statistics isn't your strong suit.

(Who knows if that study is valid but one stupid person doesn't invalidate it.)
njkayaker is offline  
Old 12-01-23, 03:22 PM
  #21  
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,998

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Clearly, statistics isn't your strong suit.

(Who knows if that study is valid but one stupid person doesn't invalidate it.)
Anyone who took a look at the cited study abstract and its dependence on the definition of better people as measured by their "orientation towards the (alleged) common good" does know about the validity of its conclusions.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 12-01-23, 03:27 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Far beyond the pale horizon.
Posts: 14,335
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4301 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Anyone who took a look at the cited study abstract and its dependence on the definition of better people as measured by their "orientation towards the (alleged) common good" does know about the validity of its conclusions.
Missing my point.
njkayaker is offline  
Old 12-01-23, 05:25 PM
  #23  
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,998

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Missing my point.
Your "point" that nobody knows if the so-called study about the superior righteousness of bicycle riders was valid?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 12-01-23, 05:32 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Far beyond the pale horizon.
Posts: 14,335
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4301 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Your "point" that nobody knows if the so-called study about the superior righteousness of bicycle riders was valid?
No.

If that was the point I was trying to make, I would have posted in the other thread.
njkayaker is offline  
Old 12-01-23, 06:16 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,011
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 527 Posts
Very occasionally, flipping off the offender has unforeseen results ...

Last edited by Leisesturm; 12-01-23 at 11:44 PM.
Leisesturm is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.