Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Crazy bike rider today

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Crazy bike rider today

Old 06-02-06, 07:41 PM
  #1  
sbhikes
Dominatrikes
Thread Starter
 
sbhikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Still in Santa Barbara
Posts: 4,920

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crazy bike rider today

Wow, how are you going to reach these guys? We all argue with each other, but we're all basically good riders. But guys like the one I encountered today give us all a bad name.

I guess he felt his manhood was threatened because I could go as fast as he could even though I was riding my trike and he was pedaling his mountain bike as fast as he possibly could. Plus I was using the street, the left turn lanes, using hand signals, waiting at the light etc and he was hopping the curbs, riding wrong way, riding the sidewalks.

I don't have a problem with that kind of riding over all, but what really peeved me was he felt a need to cut me off. He cut me off to hop off the sidewalk on the opposite side of the road and make a right turn right in front of me as I was making a right turn. Yeah, I got right-hooked by a guy on a bike! He almost caught his wheel in my bottom bracket (which as you can see sticks out in front.)

After he pulled his maneuver, he rode on the wrong side of the road and forced oncoming traffic to stop. Then he hopped onto the sidewalk and raced me to the light where he again tried to cut me off as I made a legal left turn from the turn lane and he used the crosswalk.

Testosterone and pride or something I don't know. But I was actually afraid the car drivers would take out their anger at his riding on me seeing as how I stayed among them and he was just proving to them how reckless and unlawful all us cyclists are.

I wish we could reach these people, but I don't think there's a chance in hell to get people like that to operate their bicycles more safely and legally. Maybe Darwin will pull him out of the gene pool.

Meanwhile, this morning two highly fashionable people on very nice racing bikes ran a red light while I waited for it. They probably ran all the red lights on their ride, but that was the only one I witnessed. When that happens I feel all the eyes of the waiting drivers looking at me.

It's very annoying when cyclists don't ride legally. Those guys are probably more reachable, but I won't hold my breath.
sbhikes is offline  
Old 06-02-06, 08:06 PM
  #2  
JohnBrooking
Commuter
 
JohnBrooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 2,568

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know you're a peaceful person, Diane, but I hope you yelled at all three of them!
JohnBrooking is offline  
Old 06-03-06, 12:48 AM
  #3  
chicbicyclist
Senior Member
 
chicbicyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 605

Bikes: Batavus Old Dutch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really hate it when hipster types run red lights. And believe me, I encounter plenty of them. I shame them by shaking my head noticeably for all the other drivers to see at intersections. Of course, they probably don't care, but I'm sure they do when I pass them on my clunky steed and non-aerodynamic posture.
chicbicyclist is offline  
Old 06-03-06, 01:01 AM
  #4  
ThatWhichRolls
Palcontent
 
ThatWhichRolls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fellow Chicagoan here, and all I can say is: "Indeed." Nothing makes me quite so angry as riding from my job downtown back to Bridgeport along S. Halsted at a rapid clip and having slow push-push types on their mountain bikes swerve around me and finagle their way through crosswalks to manage the red light, only to have me ultimately pass them after the light's changed...if they're in such a hurry, the least they could do is develop an understanding of how their (probably excessive) gearing works. Only thing worse is when folks get up on the sidewalk just before Archer and expect to be able to merge back into traffic easily, not having any clue whatsoever that they're more likely to get hooked by right-turning traffic than to flawlessly get back into the flow of things.
ThatWhichRolls is offline  
Old 06-03-06, 04:35 AM
  #5  
FLBandit
Senior Member
 
FLBandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think he likes you!
FLBandit is offline  
Old 06-03-06, 08:30 AM
  #6  
kb0tnv
Senior Member
 
kb0tnv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 273

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally agree! I do look out for motor vehicles. However I mostly have to look out for the rest of the cyclists / peds who just make up their own rules. Today I had some kid go from the other side of the street wrong way going down a hill. Then cross over the lanes and head against me! I fear wrong way cyclists much more than vehicles nowadays! Thankfully I saw him in time. I kinda braced in case he collided but it didn't happen! Weird world we live in. More and more I am in favor of getting some kinda basic bicycle licensing instituted. I don't think it will happen that quickly but maybe people would take us more seriously and cycling more seriously if we had to be licensed.

Yes these unlawful cyclists give us a bad name. It takes us to do it correctly to help reverse it. But sadly we are the minority! The unlawful cyclists are the majority...which gets me back to licensing. You could take a bike ed class and then get a license from a certified instructor. But this would have to be a government maindate. They would have to charge fees to create the infrastructure and allow for more police (some on bikes). To make sure everyone is riding legally! I think it could work and maybe it would give us more respect with motorists and get them to pipe down.

Keep Cycling!
kb0tnv is offline  
Old 06-03-06, 11:02 AM
  #7  
rando
Senior Member
 
rando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 2,968
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLBandit
I think he likes you!

LOL I was going to say this too. he was showing off his mad biking skilz for you.
__________________
"Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world". ~Grant Petersen

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
rando is offline  
Old 06-03-06, 02:34 PM
  #8  
sbhikes
Dominatrikes
Thread Starter
 
sbhikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Still in Santa Barbara
Posts: 4,920

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, right. I'm like over 40 and he was like under 25.
sbhikes is offline  
Old 06-03-06, 02:56 PM
  #9  
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chicbicyclist
I really hate it when hipster types run red lights. And believe me, I encounter plenty of them. I shame them by shaking my head noticeably for all the other drivers to see at intersections. Of course, they probably don't care, but I'm sure they do when I pass them on my clunky steed and non-aerodynamic posture.
The other annoying thing they do is piss and moan about the injustice of it all when they get cited for breaking the law.
Blue Order is offline  
Old 06-03-06, 02:57 PM
  #10  
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sbhikes
It's very annoying when cyclists don't ride legally.
+1
Blue Order is offline  
Old 06-03-06, 03:28 PM
  #11  
San Rensho 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,820
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by chicbicyclist
I really hate it when hipster types run red lights. And believe me, I encounter plenty of them. I shame them by shaking my head noticeably for all the other drivers to see at intersections. Of course, they probably don't care, but I'm sure they do when I pass them on my clunky steed and non-aerodynamic posture.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is absolutely nothing wrong with running a red light as long as you can do it without interfering with traffic or pedestrians in any way. It's safer to be up and moving down the road when the cars start their drag race from the light . In Holland, at stop lights, there are two sets of lights, one for cars and one for cyclists. After a red light, the bikes get a green light BEFORE the cars, because its been proven to be safer. Just because I violate an arbitrary law does not make it unsafe and just because you obey the same arbitrary law does not make it safe.

And as far as other posters contention that somehow disobeying traffic laws makes cars hate cyclists, let me let you in on a little secret. Cagers hate cyclists, period! No matter how we ride, cars hate us. Even when I am following every single traffic rule,and riding as fast as traffic, I still get screamed at, honked at, people go out of their way to mess with me. If anyone has evidence, other than anectodatal evidence, to prove your point, I would certainly entertain it.

Slavishly follow arbitrary rules if you like, but I'm going to do whats safe, and running a red is usually safer.
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline  
Old 06-03-06, 03:48 PM
  #12  
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by San Rensho
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is absolutely nothing wrong with running a red light as long as you can do it without interfering with traffic or pedestrians in any way. It's safer to be up and moving down the road when the cars start their drag race from the light . In Holland, at stop lights, there are two sets of lights, one for cars and one for cyclists. After a red light, the bikes get a green light BEFORE the cars, because its been proven to be safer. Just because I violate an arbitrary law does not make it unsafe and just because you obey the same arbitrary law does not make it safe.

And as far as other posters contention that somehow disobeying traffic laws makes cars hate cyclists, let me let you in on a little secret. Cagers hate cyclists, period! No matter how we ride, cars hate us. Even when I am following every single traffic rule,and riding as fast as traffic, I still get screamed at, honked at, people go out of their way to mess with me. If anyone has evidence, other than anectodatal evidence, to prove your point, I would certainly entertain it.

Slavishly follow arbitrary rules if you like, but I'm going to do whats safe, and running a red is usually safer.
If the Dutch system were the law here, I'd support it wholeheartedly. But it's not the law. The law is that bicycles are vehicles, and have the same rights and the same responsibilities as other vehicles. If the law is "arbitrary," the solution is to change the law, not to violate the law.
Blue Order is offline  
Old 06-03-06, 04:03 PM
  #13  
DigitalQuirk
Senior Member
 
DigitalQuirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like you're riding low enough in your trike to present an age-old solution. The old stick-in-the-spokes trick as he rode past you would have brought him and his madness to a stop very quickly. Sure, he might've gotten hurt from the old stick-in-the-spokes, but look at it this way...he would've hurt himself eventually anyway. You'd just be...accelerating the process.

(DISCLAIMER: this post is intended as light-hearted humor)
DigitalQuirk is offline  
Old 06-03-06, 05:24 PM
  #14  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 26,600

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
If the law is "arbitrary," the solution is to change the law...
Good luck, my friend. Best of luck!

-Kurt
__________________







cudak888 is offline  
Old 06-03-06, 06:32 PM
  #15  
sbhikes
Dominatrikes
Thread Starter
 
sbhikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Still in Santa Barbara
Posts: 4,920

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought about the stick in the spokes after I got home. But I'm not that kind of person.

I know that it isn't practical or necessarily safest to always stop at every stop sign or red light. But the problem is that all you ever read in the letters to the editors are about how bad all us cyclists are because we never stop at lights. So I figure if there are cars at the light you should stop. It can only help us all in the long run. Improve our image. Or at least give the motorists less reason for extracting revenge.
sbhikes is offline  
Old 06-03-06, 06:46 PM
  #16  
chicbicyclist
Senior Member
 
chicbicyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 605

Bikes: Batavus Old Dutch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is absolutely nothing wrong with running a red light as long as you can do it without interfering with traffic or pedestrians in any way. It's safer to be up and moving down the road when the cars start their drag race from the light . In Holland, at stop lights, there are two sets of lights, one for cars and one for cyclists. After a red light, the bikes get a green light BEFORE the cars, because its been proven to be safer. Just because I violate an arbitrary law does not make it unsafe and just because you obey the same arbitrary law does not make it safe.
The thing is, they do it at the expense of cars and pedestrians since this happens alot on a very major thouroughfare here(University Avenue for those that might be familiar with the area). I don't really mind if they do it on sidestreets, not in my case however.

I forgot the Spandexcladweekendwarriorracingtype, too. They do it with as much frequency as the hispters on thier road bike.

Last edited by chicbicyclist; 06-03-06 at 06:57 PM.
chicbicyclist is offline  
Old 06-03-06, 09:59 PM
  #17  
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,651

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by San Rensho
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is absolutely nothing wrong with running a red light as long as you can do it without interfering with traffic or pedestrians in any way. It's safer to be up and moving down the road when the cars start their drag race from the light . In Holland, at stop lights, there are two sets of lights, one for cars and one for cyclists.
You may well be right about Holland's system. One of the reasons why traffic laws are helpful is because when followed, you can predict what others are going to do on the road. If you're like me and live in a city where about 40% of cyclists stop at stop signs, red lights, and signal when they are going to turn and the other 60% do not, you can't begin to predict their intentions. You come to a stop sign either in a car or on a bike when another cyclist approaches and everyone freezes up because no one knows what the cyclist is going to do. Are they going to blow through the stop sign? Ignore whoever's turn it is to go? Plow through the pedestrian who is trying to cross? It's like I need to keep a freaking Ouija board in my pannier or something. How safe is that? What kind of mood is everyone in after passing through that intersection?

Traffic laws and rules of the road may not be the best possible, but at least they impose consistency and predictability on the road. Cyclists in Oregon have suceeded in getting some stupid traffic laws changed over the years. Idaho did get the law about stop signs and red lights changed. Oregon groups are deciding now whether they want to pursue a similar change to the law in the upcoming legislative session. It is possible, but like most worthwhile goals, takes a lot of work. I suppose it is easier to just break the law.
donnamb is offline  
Old 06-03-06, 10:07 PM
  #18  
nelson249
"Per Ardua ad Surly"
 
nelson249's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Posts: 1,416

Bikes: Bianchi Specialissima, Mongoose Hilltopper ATB, Surly Cross-Check, Norco City Glide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a tendency to be rather pragmatic in regard to stopping. Generally speaking, I obey stoplights unless there is absolutely no traffic or is one of the pressure activated lights and no one else is around to activate it. Stop signs, I treat as octagonal yield signs particularly on side streets. The more traffic there is about, the more likely I am to follow the letter of the law. If traffic is particularly heavy (like bumper to bumper) will do stuff (carefully) that is technically illegal to get ahead of the line. I recall a conversation with a British friend of mine when I observed motorcyclists charging around car traffic in the middle of the London North Circular Road. When I asked whether this was legal; his response was: "What's the point of riding a motorcycle otherwise." Same thing with bikes in my view. Some car drivers will resent this, but I find myself agreeing with San Rensho in that many motorists hate bikes on general principles and will think of other reasons to complain about us. On the other hand, when it is evident that getting around by bike is faster than idling in a cloud of car exhaust perhaps it will make some drivers think of some of the advantages of using a bike themselves.
nelson249 is offline  
Old 06-04-06, 12:50 AM
  #19  
Flamingmb
road rage expert
 
Flamingmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland Or.
Posts: 113

Bikes: Hardrock Pro, Allez elite triple, Raleigh single speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont run red lights where I live but i do when I am downtown. I would never ever cut another cyclist off that is just plain mean. I really think this guy was just pissed that he was on a burly mountain bike and you could keep up and thats it. Maybe he was showing off for you .
Flamingmb is offline  
Old 06-04-06, 07:48 AM
  #20  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 26,600

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by nelson249
I recall a conversation with a British friend of mine when I observed motorcyclists charging around car traffic in the middle of the London North Circular Road. When I asked whether this was legal; his response was: "What's the point of riding a motorcycle otherwise." Same thing with bikes in my view.
I dissagree. There are no excuses for a motorcycle rider to make a lane for himself between automobiles to cut to the front during a red light, or similar cases for that matter. A motorcycle is a motorized vehicle with similar acceleration to an automobile, therefore, can keep up with traffic in most situation and should remain in his place within traffic as any automobile.

A bicycle, however, is a human powered vehicle, limited by the rider as to speed and acceleration. I'm not saying that a cyclist should cut between lanes to work his way to the start of the 'grid,' but to equate modern motorcycle (as opposed to early motorized machines, Whizzers and the like) driving techniques to a bicycle is rarely a fair comparison.

Take care,

-Kurt
__________________







cudak888 is offline  
Old 06-04-06, 08:55 AM
  #21  
sbhikes
Dominatrikes
Thread Starter
 
sbhikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Still in Santa Barbara
Posts: 4,920

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, Kurt, but splitting the lanes is perfectly legal for motorcyclists. That fact, plus an admonishment to do what you can to accommodate lane splitting by motorcycles, was even drilled into our brains by the instructor the last time I went to traffic school.
sbhikes is offline  
Old 06-04-06, 09:14 AM
  #22  
Cavedog
Senior Member
 
Cavedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Valrico, Fl
Posts: 51

Bikes: Street and Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diane, the young tater head that you encountered is sadly something that everyone, drivers and riders, must endure. While bouncing him off a wall/hood/pavement is up there on my short list of things to do, it really won't get to him. People like that are just about impossible to reach. If he does continue to ride like a One-Delta-Ten-Tango, then sooner or later he will try to cross Darwin Street.
Cavedog is offline  
Old 06-04-06, 11:25 AM
  #23  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,721

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10343 Post(s)
Liked 2,370 Times in 1,638 Posts
I wonder too about the sub text that Diane brought to her post... how are the LAB folks going to reach out and train these riders... plus Sam, and the weekendlycrariders?

As long as these cyclists continue to paint the picture that motorists see, motorists have little reason so expect the rest of us to do anything different.
genec is online now  
Old 06-04-06, 11:45 AM
  #24  
Runaway Cyclist
Not fluent in English
 
Runaway Cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Brazil
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbhikes
Meanwhile, this morning two highly fashionable people on very nice racing bikes ran a red light while I waited for it. They probably ran all the red lights on their ride, but that was the only one I witnessed. When that happens I feel all the eyes of the waiting drivers looking at me.
Well, they could be thinking that not all cyclists are the same, after all one of them (you) is right there waiting for the light to change. I wouldn't feel bad in this situation.
Runaway Cyclist is offline  
Old 06-04-06, 03:09 PM
  #25  
cohophysh
fishologist
 
cohophysh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,199

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chicbicyclist...where did you find the e-bike...my wife is interested in an ebike.
__________________
We cannot solve problems with the same level of consciousness that created them. A.E.

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx


cohophysh is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.