Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam Bicycles

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Amsterdam Bicycles

Old 08-30-07, 02:05 AM
  #1  
CsHoSi
Midwest Rider
Thread Starter
 
CsHoSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KCMO
Posts: 136

Bikes: '06 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amsterdam Bicycles

"82 pictures of bicycles taken during 73 minutes on 9/12/06 in Amsterdam, Netherlands."

https://www.ski-epic.com/amsterdam_bicycles/

I came across this and didn't come up here so I thought some might enjoy looking at culture differences.

Seems they know better than cable locks too. Look at the section, Spectacular Gigantic Unbreakable Security Chains.

But, no helmets?
CsHoSi is offline  
Old 08-30-07, 04:04 AM
  #2  
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H
 
linux_author's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Penniless Park, Fla.
Posts: 2,750

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- thanks for posting the linky! interesting read, and even more interesting, the reader comments!

("helmets are considered *uncool*")
linux_author is offline  
Old 08-30-07, 04:11 AM
  #3  
filtersweep
Senior Member
 
filtersweep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only if you are commuting in street clothes. Plenty of road bikers wear helmets... but you generally won't find them in the city.

Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
- thanks for posting the linky! interesting read, and even more interesting, the reader comments!

("helmets are considered *uncool*")
filtersweep is offline  
Old 08-30-07, 06:16 AM
  #4  
edzo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
who needs helmets in the Netherlands ? they have completely separate traffic lights and paths for bikes (and scooters delivering pizza) everywhere. from birth they are on bikes...they don't ride like assclowns
edzo is offline  
Old 08-30-07, 12:53 PM
  #5  
tallard
Your scars reveal you
 
tallard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Citizen of Planet Earth
Posts: 406

Bikes: My Brodie's dead, start hunting for a new cycle before March arrives

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CsHoSi View Post
"82 pictures of bicycles taken during 73 minutes on 9/12/06 in Amsterdam, Netherlands."

https://www.ski-epic.com/amsterdam_bicycles/

I came across this and didn't come up here so I thought some might enjoy looking at culture differences.

Seems they know better than cable locks too. Look at the section, Spectacular Gigantic Unbreakable Security Chains.

But, no helmets?
THANK YOU, inspiring
tallard is offline  
Old 08-30-07, 01:27 PM
  #6  
San Rensho 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,820
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 88 Posts
That is so cool. Great set of pictures. I can only dream that the US will some day be like this.

This has been argued ad nauseum in the commuter forum, but I will say it again. One of the reasons americans won't ride bikes is because bike manufacturers have shoved down their throats that they need 27 speed fully suspended MTBs or CF race bikes.

Maybe Americans would bike more if they had the clunky 1 to 3 spds, with an upright position, chainguard, fenders and a rack, that are basically maintenance free for years and years, that the pictures you took show is the most popular type of bike in Holland.
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline  
Old 08-30-07, 03:51 PM
  #7  
billew
meandering nomad
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Newport,Rhode Island
Posts: 419

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'm a quarter dutch and now I understand everything. I also have spent my life on a bike and don't see the need for a helmet. Besides you just don't look cool with a helmet on a classic three- speed.
billew is offline  
Old 09-01-07, 06:13 PM
  #8  
HamersNightmare
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I went to Amsterdam last fall and rented bikes. IT WAS A BLAST!! and we all could learn something from them. It was fun to watch rush hour traffic at busy intersections. It was a beautiful ebb and flow of cyclist, cars, buses and trolleys. Nothing was back up, it just kept flowing. I only saw 1 accident while there and it was bike/bike. (tourists!!)
As for the tiny wheeld bikes. If you had the pleasure in stepping in some of the homes you would understand. They fold up nice and small for easy storage. FYI. Amsterdamites pay property taxes based on the foot print of the house, hence the narrow facades and tall buildings.
The large encased rear wheel things are meant to protect those nice white skirts.
If any of you ever want to go on a relaxed bicycle vacation, GO TO HOLLAND! They have a bicycle interstate network that allows you to ride safely to any place in the nation.
Coolest place I have ever been, I live there it was feasible at this stage in my life.
HamersNightmare is offline  
Old 09-02-07, 01:16 PM
  #9  
trackhub
Senior Member
 
trackhub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Watching all of you on O.B.I.T.
Posts: 2,013

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Excellent set of photographs, loved 'em! The only thing I would disagree with, are those generator powered lights. It's true, if you are under 35 years of age, you have probably never seen these. I remember them, not in a good way. They add a lot of drag, and give very little light for the effort. Then again, it's probably another one of those "culture difference things". In the consumer-driven USA, everything MUST be battery powered, whereas in Europe, they probably have very few battery powered devices, except for cell phones. Do I guess correctly on that? Heck, we'd probably have battery powered toilet paper, if they could figure out how to do that. Of course, it would take an odd number of batteries, and batteries are only sold in even numbered quantities. (a conspiracy?) And is it just me, or are there a lot of cute young women over there?

Originally Posted by San Rensho View Post
That is so cool. Great set of pictures. I can only dream that the US will some day be like this.

This has been argued ad nauseum in the commuter forum, but I will say it again. One of the reasons americans won't ride bikes is because bike manufacturers have shoved down their throats that they need 27 speed fully suspended MTBs or CF race bikes.

Maybe Americans would bike more if they had the clunky 1 to 3 spds, with an upright position, chainguard, fenders and a rack, that are basically maintenance free for years and years, that the pictures you took show is the most popular type of bike in Holland.
I agree completely. I know that this is one of the things that keeps some people from riding. Some companies, such as Electra and Joe Breeze, are making an honest effort to bring comfortable, easy-to-ride bikes to Americans. A lot of people are really intimidated just to enter a shop, what with all the lycra, and bikes with 27 speeds that are made of alien space ship material.
trackhub is offline  
Old 09-02-07, 01:36 PM
  #10  
bmike
Bye Bye
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Gone gone gone
Posts: 3,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bringing in original Dutch bikes has changed my thinking on urban and city commuting and utility cycling. Riding around on a cargo bike or city bike one gets a very different feel for their surroundings, and even for their relationship to 'riding'. I can't recommend enough getting off the a high zoot MTB or racer and heading into town on a 3,7, or 8 speed proper city bike. Fenders, racks, dyno lights, chaincase and a wheel lock make it easy to step out for a few minutes or all day - pedal powered.

Great pics. Seems I saw them before on the interwebs... (where?)
__________________
So long. Been nice knowing you BF.... to all the friends I've made here and in real life... its been great. But this place needs an enema.
bmike is offline  
Old 09-02-07, 01:41 PM
  #11  
bmike
Bye Bye
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Gone gone gone
Posts: 3,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
Excellent set of photographs, loved 'em! The only thing I would disagree with, are those generator powered lights. It's true, if you are under 35 years of age, you have probably never seen these. I remember them, not in a good way. They add a lot of drag, and give very little light for the effort.

I think you'd be surprised to try a new bottle generator driven light or a proper hub dyno setup. Some of the Dutch bikes have internal dynamos and either front LED or halogen lights. The new lights throw out plenty of light for urban riding, and if you want to do all night randonneuring events they will work well for that purpose too. (I have a SON hub and dual Schmidt lights and can ride all night, every night - the only maintanence I need to do is swap the bulbs (I'm running halogens). With and LED you wouldn't have to worry about that...)

True, the bottle dyno's add drag - but for the convenience of never worrying about batteries or charging, I'd say its worth it. If you were doing 10-20-30 mile rides at night I'd suggest making sure the bike has a hub dynamo... silent and more efficient.
__________________
So long. Been nice knowing you BF.... to all the friends I've made here and in real life... its been great. But this place needs an enema.
bmike is offline  
Old 09-02-07, 02:06 PM
  #12  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike View Post
Bringing in original Dutch bikes has changed my thinking on urban and city commuting and utility cycling. Riding around on a cargo bike or city bike one gets a very different feel for their surroundings, and even for their relationship to 'riding'. I can't recommend enough getting off the a high zoot MTB or racer and heading into town on a 3,7, or 8 speed proper city bike. Fenders, racks, dyno lights, chaincase and a wheel lock make it easy to step out for a few minutes or all day - pedal powered.

Great pics. Seems I saw them before on the interwebs... (where?)
+1

Mike I wish you the best in your new business adventure !!
I think it is beyond cool the risk you are taking by going outside the
usual Carbon Fibre / NASCAR bicycle route and going sensible utility.
The bikes you mention(MTB hi-Z00t$$) dont exist in my world.
To stay on topic.........we have a lot to learn from the Netherlands
both civily and bicycularly !!

Great Pics !! I always love the Dutch bike threads !!!
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 09-02-07, 07:22 PM
  #13  
Steele-Bike
RAGBRAI. Need I say more?
 
Steele-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: West Branch, Iowa USA
Posts: 868

Bikes: 1998 Mongoose NX7.1, 2008 Kona Jake, GT singlespeed (year unknown).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are all the obese people?

Does activity = health?

Hmmm, I might be on to something here...
Steele-Bike is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 02:52 AM
  #14  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,374
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
Excellent set of photographs, loved 'em! The only thing I would disagree with, are those generator powered lights. It's true, if you are under 35 years of age, you have probably never seen these. I remember them, not in a good way. They add a lot of drag, and give very little light for the effort. Then again, it's probably another one of those "culture difference things". In the consumer-driven USA, everything MUST be battery powered, whereas in Europe, they probably have very few battery powered devices, except for cell phones. Do I guess correctly on that? Heck, we'd probably have battery powered toilet paper, if they could figure out how to do that. Of course, it would take an odd number of batteries, and batteries are only sold in even numbered quantities. (a conspiracy?) And is it just me, or are there a lot of cute young women over there?
you do not.

Originally Posted by -=Łem in Pa=- View Post
+1

Mike I wish you the best in your new business adventure !!
I think it is beyond cool the risk you are taking by going outside the
usual Carbon Fibre / NASCAR bicycle route and going sensible utility.
The bikes you mention(MTB hi-Z00t$$) dont exist in my world.

To stay on topic.........we have a lot to learn from the Netherlands
both civily and bicycularly !!

Great Pics !! I always love the Dutch bike threads !!!
such as?

Last edited by botto; 09-03-07 at 08:44 AM.
botto is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 08:22 AM
  #15  
Mofopotomus
n00b
 
Mofopotomus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 234

Bikes: nice Raleigh roadbike and an S&M BMX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I like is his mystification at the bikes with the big front baskets. Some of them are called Bakfiets and you actually can get them in the US. Matter of fact there's a dealer down the way from me. They're awesome and I want one.

Oh, and i don't think the no helmet thing is so much a function of them having a zen-like ability not to hit their heads on the ground as much as a cultural thing. I mean hell in Italy my friend saw women in mini-skirts and no helmets blasting down streets on Vespas and whatnot. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Mofopotomus is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 08:29 AM
  #16  
San Rensho 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,820
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Mofopotomus View Post
I mean hell in Italy my friend saw women in mini-skirts and no helmets blasting down streets on Vespas and whatnot.
He left out "while talking on cell phones."
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 08:44 AM
  #17  
bmike
Bye Bye
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Gone gone gone
Posts: 3,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mofopotomus View Post
What I like is his mystification at the bikes with the big front baskets. Some of them are called Bakfiets and you actually can get them in the US. Matter of fact there's a dealer down the way from me. They're awesome and I want one.

you can get Bakfiets in the US... and they are most excellent for all sorts of cargo...


(see my sig!)
__________________
So long. Been nice knowing you BF.... to all the friends I've made here and in real life... its been great. But this place needs an enema.

Last edited by bmike; 09-03-07 at 12:09 PM.
bmike is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 11:27 AM
  #18  
SirMike1983
On the road
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Those are some nice bicycles there- they still ride some classics.


For what it's worth, I switched two of my three bicycles over to tire generators a couple of years back and they do a nice job- they're not nearly the pain that many riders here in the US think they are.
SirMike1983 is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 12:00 PM
  #19  
randya
Senior Member
 
randya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in bed with your mom
Posts: 13,696

Bikes: who cares?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
clevercycles, Portland's Dutch bike shop.

I'll give my pitch for dyno lights, too. They are very bright with halogen bulbs, the old Union lamps throw very good focused beams, and drag is only about 10%. I've got them on practically all of my bikes, if you're near a shop that sells used bicycle stuff, like citybikes, you can often get a complete setup - dyno, front and rear lamps, mounting brackets - for less than $25, an incredible deal compared to the overpriced and overrated battery lights most merkins use.

Last edited by randya; 09-03-07 at 12:06 PM.
randya is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 12:13 PM
  #20  
Tapeworm21
Senior Member
 
Tapeworm21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Berkeley
Posts: 2,265

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I really wish America would have the same style of bikes. The bright orange bike with the big wheel cover on it is fantastic! I'd kill for that bike.
Tapeworm21 is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 01:53 PM
  #21  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,374
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
how many of you have actually lived in the netherlands?
botto is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 02:32 PM
  #22  
San Rensho 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,820
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by botto View Post
how many of you have actually lived in the netherlands?
It seems someone who shall remain nameless does not think much of Holland. Don't dance around it man, come out and shout it from the heart!

Please tell us why your disdain for the Dutch?
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 03:25 PM
  #23  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,374
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho View Post
It seems someone who shall remain nameless does not think much of Holland. Don't dance around it man, come out and shout it from the heart!

Please tell us why your disdain for the Dutch?
disdain isn't the correct description, experience is. 12 years, and counting.
botto is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 03:27 PM
  #24  
bmike
Bye Bye
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Gone gone gone
Posts: 3,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by botto View Post
disdain isn't the correct description, experience is. 12 years, and counting.
share.
open up.

its ok.
__________________
So long. Been nice knowing you BF.... to all the friends I've made here and in real life... its been great. But this place needs an enema.
bmike is offline  
Old 09-03-07, 03:30 PM
  #25  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,374
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike View Post
share.
open up.

its ok.



Last edited by botto; 09-03-07 at 03:39 PM.
botto is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.