Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist buzzed by snowplow PICTURES

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist buzzed by snowplow PICTURES

Old 02-16-08, 12:16 AM
  #126  
vincentpaul
Artful Dodger
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by climbhoser View Post
Ex-marine vs. All American wrestler...it'd be an interesting match up

I'm sure he has some hand to hand skills, and I have no doubt lots of discipline and American pride. I used to fight for a job is all...like I said, it'd be an interesting match up.

He's still a dumbass.
I'd bet you two could get a pay per view deal if you agree to do a match Spartan style (i.e., in the nude with lots of oil). That's the way a pair of REAL warriors would do it. Dang, think I'll have to load up the 300 and watch me some Spartan hack and slash tonight.
vincentpaul is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 12:44 AM
  #127  
vincentpaul
Artful Dodger
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And back on topic, that video could be captioned "Cyclist Who Dances With Snowplows Voted Most Likely to Appear in Next Year's Darwin Awards."

I'm hoping Bob Mionske will do address the obvious follow-up issue: "What are your rights as a dead cyclist?"
vincentpaul is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 01:07 AM
  #128  
AlmostTrick
Yabba-Dabba-Doo!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bedrock, IL
Posts: 6,357

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '68 Schwinn Orange Krate, and More!!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes it's fun getting plowed.
AlmostTrick is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 01:31 AM
  #129  
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,854

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
Sometimes it's fun getting plowed.
Speak for yerself...



BarracksSi is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 02:10 AM
  #130  
mike
Senior Member
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Posts: 5,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thdave View Post
I see what you're saying, but I find it ridiculous that the police cite the existance of the cameras as proof of the rider seeking conflict with the plow. It's not at all. The bike rider has every right to video what he wants to video and it doesn't implicate him at all.

Yeah, it's the cyclists obligation to pull over and give room if he's slowing traffic down. I'm not sure he was, though. Irregardless, the police and city attorney handled it poorly. That's the problem, imo.
Na. Just cause a guy was riding a bicycle doesn't make him an angel. Jerks ride bicycles too. What was this dude doing rolling two cameras just coincidently when the plow came by? He was aching for conflict - set up a situation for conflict and caused conflict.

I bet if the plow had somehow gone around the bicyclist, the bicyclist would have filmed how poorly the roads were plowed and made a stink about that.

Plowing roads is an important part of making roads safe for all. It is a big job that requires big equipment. Today my wife and child skidded into the ditch because the roads had snow on them. She had to call a tow truck to pull her out. If I knew that some jerk-off on a bicycle with cameras was out slowing down the plows to make some kind of whining complaint, I would punch him right in the nose.

Note to bicyclists and pedestrians: When you see a plow coming, get out of the way and let it by or have your avalanch becons switched "on" because you are going to be buried until spring.
mike is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 04:40 AM
  #131  
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wakulla Co. FL
Posts: 4,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cyclist having video equipment means nothing, other than the cops grasping for an excuse to do nothing. The plow driver easily showed himself to be a bigger ignorant jerk than the cyclist.
CommuterRun is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 06:08 AM
  #132  
iltb-2
Still Around
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
This gets thrown around a lot here, mostly snippits from angry letter writers about bikes "blocking the middle of the road" to obscure local newpapers. Can anyone demonstrate an actual cause-and-effect relationship that had a real effect?
Sort of. In 2004 an Iowa State Senator had a verbal run in at a rest stop with some members of a bicycle club who had been group riding on a rural highway. The mouthy riders told off the "old fart motorist" that they were entitled to ride wherever they liked and there was nothing he could do about it. He has since entered several bills trying to take action against cycling on the road like the one where he encountered the mouthy club riders, including SF2001:

"...a person shall not ride a bicycle on the roadway portion of a four-lane, divided primary highway if a multipurpose recreational trail or a paved shoulder designated as a bikeway runs parallel to the roadway and is adjacent to or within the highway right-of-way. This subsection applies to primary highways outside municipal corporate boundaries. This subsection does not apply at times when the recreational trail or bikeway is impassable...."

This bill got no where but he keeps coming back with new variations. No thanks to the big mouthed Jacko's who just had to mouth off about their right to be obnoxious.
iltb-2 is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 07:23 AM
  #133  
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,365

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun View Post
The cyclist having video equipment means nothing, other than the cops grasping for an excuse to do nothing. The plow driver easily showed himself to be a bigger ignorant jerk than the cyclist.
No doubt...the cops and the city folks didn't come off much better either, but the guy really didn't have to put himself in that situation. Yes, he had every right to be on the road, but being right doesn't always provide a happy ending. The guy didn't get hurt, which is a good thing obviously, but he still got a scare, a bath and the aggravation of dealing with the city and the cops afterward. By simply taking a quick detour he could have avoided all that.

Good example: my little thread hijack with climbhoser. While it may have been the right thing to do to demand an apology for his crack to lbb, it caused a lot of needless aggravation and could end up with me getting my old, feeble, butt kicked! Sometimes doing what you feel is the right thing can have results that open up the rightness of your actions to debate. That doesn't mean you don't do the right thing, but it does mean that when doing so you better be willing to accept all the unintended consequences.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 07:46 AM
  #134  
DynamicD74
Senior Member
 
DynamicD74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The 'Burbs
Posts: 387

Bikes: ' 96 Trek 830 Mountain Track,'74 Schwinn Suburban, '74-ish Fuji Dynamic 10, '73 Schwinn Varsity,'73 Schwinn Breeze, '94 Schwinn Sidewinder. First Schwinn was a '74 Schwinn 24 inch Varsity in Lime Green, and previously owned a '74 Schwinn Breeze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riddei View Post
I've been to Raleigh, it is one of the few places in the south I would consider moving! However it's too far from the ocean for me.

Having said that, early in this thread I thought it ironic that the OP was from Vegas, and people from the south were chiming in. It just kinda struck a chord that someone said we must have such an inferiority complex that we couldn't leave the driveway. My five layers of synthetic clothing in sub zero *F commuting arse took offence. That and I'm jealous of your climate .
Ah, now I understand. I guess I didn't catch on to part of the earlier posts. It's funny that you're jealous of my climate, because I'm having some serious snow withdrawal. We've only gotten about an inch, if even that, this year. And, being from KC, I need at least one good snowfall with snowman, snow angel and sledding capabilities!
DynamicD74 is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 07:47 AM
  #135  
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wakulla Co. FL
Posts: 4,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
No doubt...the cops and the city folks didn't come off much better either, but the guy really didn't have to put himself in that situation. Yes, he had every right to be on the road, but being right doesn't always provide a happy ending. The guy didn't get hurt, which is a good thing obviously, but he still got a scare, a bath and the aggravation of dealing with the city and the cops afterward. By simply taking a quick detour he could have avoided all that.
Agreed. That's pretty much what I said in my first post to this thread.

Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
Good example: my little thread hijack with climbhoser. While it may have been the right thing to do to demand an apology for his crack to lbb, it caused a lot of needless aggravation and could end up with me getting my old, feeble, butt kicked! Sometimes doing what you feel is the right thing can have results that open up the rightness of your actions to debate. That doesn't mean you don't do the right thing, but it does mean that when doing so you better be willing to accept all the unintended consequences.
Pffft! Now that my sinuses are freshly flushed with hot coffee, here we completely disagree.

You pull off satire very well, old man.
CommuterRun is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 10:27 AM
  #136  
clifbar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,
I'm guy in the video and there seems to be some misinformation going on here. I just wanted to set the record straight about a few things.
I was commuting, although not to work. I was going to a particular destination and then back. Not that it really matters. I have a friend who commutes to and from work and school every day regardless of weather. Should he or anyone else be required to forfeit their right to be on the road every time the weather is bad? Should he have to call in sick because it is snowing and some cyclists think he shouldn't be on the road in those conditions?

Which brings me to the point of the conditions.

I have heard that it was a blizzard and that there was a snow emergency, that we had 14-18 inches of snowfall.
All untrue.
The largest single snowfall total for the city of Milwaukee so far this season was well below 14 inches. This particular snowfall was about 2-4 inches. The winds were calm and there was no snow emergency declared.
I was not riding in a blizzard and I was lit up like a Christmas tree on a well lit street.

I have been accused of being selfish and not using common sense. The thing that does not make sense to me is a bunch of cyclists telling a fellow cyclist he should have "gotten out of the way" of a motorist partially because the motor vehicle is bigger than me. Every motor vehicle on the road is bigger than me. Does that mean that I should just pull off until they have all passed me by? I understand that plows have a job to do, and he could have continued to do that job if he had waited 10 seconds for the spot in the road where it was safe to pass me.
Anyone who thinks jeopardizing a human life to save 10 or 15 seconds seems to be the one lacking common sense.

I have read numerous ways I should have allowed him to pass me ranging from the inconvenient to the preposterous. I have a question for the individual who advocates stopping in the road to "pick up my bike and climb the snowbank”. ARE YOU KIDDING? Do you really think it would be safer to stop in the road and try to scale a snowbank with my bike rather than ride predictably on the right side of the road?

Talk about no common sense.

I had no idea where the plow was going, plows often take unusual routes, so until he was right behind me, I was unsure what his intended route was. As far as I knew he may have been turning at one of the intersections I went through.
I was not "obstructing traffic" I was part of traffic. I was going the same speed as traffic. The plow was at least half a block behind me for at least 2 or 3 blocks. I detail on my blog why I didn't move over to "let him pass".

Some one compared the snowplow to an ambulance.
Emergency vehicles are not analogous to snow plows. I always yield to emergency vehicles. There is no such law regarding snowplows.

I have been accused here, and by the police of staging the incident. Why else would I have cameras rolling? I must have been looking for trouble.
Are convenience stores “looking” to get robbed because they have surveillance cameras rolling? I use my cameras for the same reasons. I’ve been assaulted, forced off the road, hit by passing cars, had my life threatened, and been threatened with arrest, all for riding legally and safely. I use the cameras to gather evidence if and when such instances occur.
I then simply present the evidence to the proper authorities and urge them to take action.

I can’t possibly rebut all the ridiculous things that are said on this or any forum, but I would ask you to use the common sense so many of you espouse. Think about which is the worse offense, riding when your common sense would tell you not to or jeopardizing another’s life to finish a job a few seconds sooner.

Bikesafer
Jeff
clifbar is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 10:28 AM
  #137  
H1449-6
Former grouch, now happy
 
H1449-6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a guy who's going to end up "dead right" one of these days. Does he have the right to go out and dodge snowplows? I imagine so. Is he an idiot for doing so? Absolutely.
__________________
Spectrum Ti Super | Landshark Roadshark | Serotta Colorado | Gunnar Crosshairs | Trek 9800 | Santana fillet brazed tandem | K2 Easy Roller | Dawes (BD) Bullseye 1x1
H1449-6 is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 10:47 AM
  #138  
clifbar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was not "dodging" snow plows, I was riding my bike and was nearly killed by a snowplow driver violating the law.

Why is it so hard for you people to understand. He broke the law and almost killed someone. If he had broken the law and almost run down an old lady in a cross walk would you be blasting her for being out in a "snowstorm"?

If wanting/needing to ride in the snow makes me an idiot? What does name calling on a forum make you?
clifbar is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 11:43 AM
  #139  
riddei
Needing more power Scotty
 
riddei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern New England (USA)
Posts: 588

Bikes: 2006 Trek T-80 (commuter) 1982 Bianchi SS (classic 12 speed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clifbar View Post
Hello,
I'm guy in the video and there seems to be some misinformation going on here. I just wanted to set the record straight about a few things. I was commuting, although not to work. I was going to a particular destination and then back. Not that it really matters. I have a friend who commutes to and from work and school every day regardless of weather. Should he or anyone else be required to forfeit their right to be on the road every time the weather is bad? Should he have to call in sick because it is snowing and some cyclists think he shouldn't be on the road in those conditions?

I had no idea where the plow was going, plows often take unusual routes, so until he was right behind me, I was unsure what his intended route was. As far as I knew he may have been turning at one of the intersections I went through...
I’ve been assaulted, forced off the road, hit by passing cars, had my life threatened, and been threatened with arrest, all for riding legally and safely. I use the cameras to gather evidence if and when such instances occur.
clifbar, welcome to the forum .

It does matter whether you were commuting or not, simply because this is a commuter sub forum. If it was the Winter-bike forum you would have a totally different discussion (it is cross-posted in that forum).

I wasn't the one to say you should have jumped over snowbanks to get off the road. However, if it was me, I would have gotten out of the way of that plow-truck long before he passed you (defensive driving translated into defensive riding). Having said that, he was COMPLETLEY WRONG to endanger your life, no argument there.

I'm sorry that you've experienced assault, been forced off the road, hit by passing cars, had your life threatened, and been threatened with arrest. I'm glad that I've never been in those shoes. Perhaps it's because we live in different cities, perhaps it's because I won't put myself in situations to experience that stuff.

Either way, welcome, and thank you for sharing your side!

Last edited by riddei; 02-16-08 at 01:06 PM.
riddei is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 12:42 PM
  #140  
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,854

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riddei View Post
I wasn't the one to say you should have jumped over snowbanks to get off the road.
I would, though --

Originally Posted by riddei
However, if it was me, I would have gotten out of the way of that plow-truck long before he passed you (defensive driving translated into defensive riding).
Yup.

Originally Posted by clifbar
I was not "obstructing traffic" I was part of traffic. I was going the same speed as traffic.
Um... if you were going the same speed as traffic, the plow would have never caught up with you.
BarracksSi is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 12:48 PM
  #141  
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,854

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clifbar View Post
Why is it so hard for you people to understand. He broke the law and almost killed someone.
However, you almost got yourself killed by riding like an idiot.

I don't understand all the bickering about who broke what law. So what? No court of law can bring you back from the dead by convicting someone else of manslaughter.

Your number one priority is to stay safe. If that means that you need to at least try jumping through a snowbank because you're too slow to outrun a plow, or even err on the safe side and turn off a block early, then that's what you do.
BarracksSi is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 01:01 PM
  #142  
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,854

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clifbar View Post
Think about which is the worse offense, riding when your common sense would tell you not to or jeopardizing anotherís life to finish a job a few seconds sooner.

Bikesafer
Jeff
There's no "less worse" when both were stupid things to do.

BTW, welcome to BikeForums. We just don't want to see anybody getting themselves killed out there.
BarracksSi is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 01:04 PM
  #143  
riddei
Needing more power Scotty
 
riddei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern New England (USA)
Posts: 588

Bikes: 2006 Trek T-80 (commuter) 1982 Bianchi SS (classic 12 speed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clifbar View Post

I had no idea where the plow was going, plows often take unusual routes, so until he was right behind me, I was unsure what his intended route was. As far as I knew he may have been turning at one of the intersections I went through.
Up until that point, you knew that the plow was heading in a forward direction, and that you were in front of it. No need to speculate any further about where he MAY turn. Hand signals on your part to communicate with the plow operator of your intention (to turn out of his path) would have been prudent.
riddei is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 02:24 PM
  #144  
clifbar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riddei View Post
clifbar, welcome to the forum .
I'm sorry that you've experienced assault, been forced off the road, hit by passing cars, had your life threatened, and been threatened with arrest. I'm glad that I've never been in those shoes. Perhaps it's because we live in different cities, perhaps it's because I won't put myself in situations to experience that stuff.
The "situations" you refer to that I've put myself into to experience that stuff were simply riding safely and legally on various roads which are used by many cyclist. It's not like I go out trying to get run off the road.

My beef is with those on this and other forums who claim that I'm the idiot. Even if you are of the opinion that it wasnt' wise for me to be riding then and there, good lord, he's the one who almost killed someone and I'm the idiot for being there in the first place.
By that logic the guy who just got shot and robbed in our city outside a bar was an idiot for being in an area where he might be robbed.

Riddei,
I knew he was behind me from the beginning of the video. I had no idea what he was doing because he stopped half a block from the intersection. It would not have made sense to use hand signals to turn out of his path because I had no intention of turning. The place I was headed was at the end of the street I was on. And just because he is behind me doesn't mean he can't turn as well. I may have turned only to have him follow me down the next street. I had no way to know where he was going. Just because he was behind me doesn't mean that he has to go straight.
And there is no way I'm going to stop and get off the road for traffic that is 1/2 block behind me.
Why is it my responsibility to get out of the way.

BarracksSi
There is a "less worse". If you can't see that jeapordizing someones life is worse than maybe making someone wait 10 seconds to get past you, I hope I never encounter you on the road.
clifbar is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 03:05 PM
  #145  
riddei
Needing more power Scotty
 
riddei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern New England (USA)
Posts: 588

Bikes: 2006 Trek T-80 (commuter) 1982 Bianchi SS (classic 12 speed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clifbar View Post
The "situations" you refer to that I've put myself into... And there is no way I'm going to stop and get off the road for traffic that is 1/2 block behind me.
Why is it my responsibility to get out of the way.


It's called common sense. If you wait until someone is on you're arse, things like this will continue to happen. The time to move out of the way is long before the snowplow is bearing down on you (perhaps when they are a 1/2 block behind)...

Last edited by riddei; 02-16-08 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added 1/2 block behind
riddei is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 03:23 PM
  #146  
The Human Car
-=Barry=-
 
The Human Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riddei View Post
clifbar, welcome to the forum .
Welcome.
__________________
Cycling Advocate
http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
. . . o
. . /L
=()>()
The Human Car is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 03:34 PM
  #147  
newbojeff
Commuter First
 
newbojeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
clifbar/Jeff,

Welcome to the forums.

I completely agree with you that the snowplow driver endangered your life. He was inconsiderate, aggressive and showed disregard for another person's life. I would be very angry too.

You were operating your vehicle in accordance with the law and he may not have been.

Having said that, in the interest of safety -- again, nothing to do with what is legal -- many of us would not have put ourselves in that situation. My own thinking about riding in traffic is about staying out of potentially dangerous situations. Bad stuff goes down when we take chances AND others do something aggressive, unexpected, or stupid. I ride somewhat assuming and anticipating that automobile drivers are going to do something aggressive, unexpected, or stupid and try to mitigate the risk.

Of course, everyone's set point for what seems risky to them is going to be different. For me, as I wrote above, if I see a snowplow plowing in my mirror, I'm probably going to work to get out of the way.
newbojeff is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 04:00 PM
  #148  
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,653

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
IMO this thread got so long and off topic with bashing that it feels like it should belong in A&S.
I agree. Moved.
__________________
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
donnamb is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 04:25 PM
  #149  
riddei
Needing more power Scotty
 
riddei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern New England (USA)
Posts: 588

Bikes: 2006 Trek T-80 (commuter) 1982 Bianchi SS (classic 12 speed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb View Post
I agree. Moved.
Oh jeeze, now you've done it!
riddei is offline  
Old 02-16-08, 04:31 PM
  #150  
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riddei View Post
Oh jeeze, now you've done it!


Originally Posted by I drank the Koolaid
It was the bike lane's fault! WHEN will you people listen to reason and logic?!?!?
Originally Posted by I drank it too
No, No!!!! It was the fault of his helmet and helmet laws!!! I've read the studies!
Blue Order is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.