Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The good part of high Gas priced and increased bicycle use... safer roads for us?

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

The good part of high Gas priced and increased bicycle use... safer roads for us?

Old 11-12-08, 12:01 PM
  #1  
Rogue Leader
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Merrick, NY
Posts: 822

Bikes: 2009 Mercier Galaxy (custom build), 2008 Argon 18 Mercury

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The good part of high Gas priced and increased bicycle use... safer roads for us?

I started riding more regularly in April. And my time on the roads was in many cases nothing short of terrifying thanks to the insanity of local drivers here. But I noticed something as summer came and went. More people (cars) were leaving me room, less were honking (In fact I can only think of once in the past 2 months I was honked at, where I used to get honked at 3+ times a day). Lots of little things made me feel like people were being mindful of riders.

Anyone else have this experience? Im assuming the proliferation of riders due to gas prices has caused people to lighten up on us?
Rogue Leader is offline  
Old 11-12-08, 12:05 PM
  #2  
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob
 
Hobartlemagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 2,862

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I started riding more regularly in April. And my time on the roads was in many cases nothing short of terrifying thanks to the insanity of local drivers here. But I noticed something as summer came and went. More people (cars) were leaving me room, less were honking (In fact I can only think of once in the past 2 months I was honked at, where I used to get honked at 3+ times a day). Lots of little things made me feel like people were being mindful of riders.

Anyone else have this experience? Im assuming the proliferation of riders due to gas prices has caused people to lighten up on us?
Thats kind of old news.

As an example- the gas station near my home was priced (regular) at over $4 at its highest.
Today its $1.93
__________________

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Hobartlemagne is offline  
Old 11-12-08, 12:08 PM
  #3  
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Posts: 14,681

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started bike commuting in February. I feel more comfortable out on the roads now, but I think it's more to do with experience of being out in traffic has raised my comfort level. I don't think people are behaving any differently, except perhaps me. I think I'm riding more consistently, using hand signals, riding appropriate routes, etc., and because of that no one honks at me. And I'm making my own room by taking a lane when I should.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.


Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline  
Old 11-12-08, 12:10 PM
  #4  
Rogue Leader
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Merrick, NY
Posts: 822

Bikes: 2009 Mercier Galaxy (custom build), 2008 Argon 18 Mercury

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne View Post
Thats kind of old news.

As an example- the gas station near my home was priced (regular) at over $4 at its highest.
Today its $1.93
Oh i know gas is down now, abut I think people may have really changed their tune... I mean this time of year there are very few people riding on the roads anyway because its getting very cold.
Rogue Leader is offline  
Old 11-12-08, 01:08 PM
  #5  
spock
Peripheral Visionary
 
spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More cyclists on the road does not only make it safer for us, it is safer for everyone else who is on the road. When drivers slowly learn how to pay attention to cyclists, they are going to, as a result, pay more attention to everything else. Speed will decrease as well as gas consumption and who knows what else. So the more we ride, the better this world is going to get. The safety is in numbers(wow, I just thought of that)
spock is offline  
Old 11-12-08, 02:39 PM
  #6  
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob
 
Hobartlemagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 2,862

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Oh i know gas is down now, abut I think people may have really changed their tune... I mean this time of year there are very few people riding on the roads anyway because its getting very cold.
I think drivers have changed. The price drop isnt for the right reasons, economically speaking.
Drivers don't have the money to spend on all the extra driving they used to do, so the price is lowered.
__________________

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Hobartlemagne is offline  
Old 11-12-08, 02:47 PM
  #7  
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives
 
Roughstuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: In a cabin in the adirondacks
Posts: 3,165

Bikes: Fuji touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne View Post
I think drivers have changed. The price drop isnt for the right reasons, economically speaking.
Drivers don't have the money to spend on all the extra driving they used to do, so the price is lowered.

Yes...in a few months gas prices have gone from being a cause to an effect.

Use the money ya save on gas to buy a better bike.

roughstuff
Roughstuff is offline  
Old 11-12-08, 02:59 PM
  #8  
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob
 
Hobartlemagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 2,862

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope the general population uses that saved gas money to get out of debt.
__________________

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Hobartlemagne is offline  
Old 11-12-08, 07:38 PM
  #9  
bicycletouring
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Park City, Utah, USA
Posts: 26

Bikes: touring, mountain, folding, and a unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe the difference was you!

Maybe the reason you were honked at less is because you became a better rider?

Or maybe because you continued to ride, drivers got used to seeing you out on the road and adjusted their driving accordingly?

When I went to Aruba recently it felt like every car was honking at me. But after a couple days of riding I got used to the road conditions and traffic and suddenly all the honking disappeared. I started to enjoy myself and the road conditions didn't bother me in the least. I bet you experienced something similar.
bicycletouring is offline  
Old 11-12-08, 11:43 PM
  #10  
Rogue Leader
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Merrick, NY
Posts: 822

Bikes: 2009 Mercier Galaxy (custom build), 2008 Argon 18 Mercury

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bicycletouring View Post
Maybe the reason you were honked at less is because you became a better rider?

Or maybe because you continued to ride, drivers got used to seeing you out on the road and adjusted their driving accordingly?

When I went to Aruba recently it felt like every car was honking at me. But after a couple days of riding I got used to the road conditions and traffic and suddenly all the honking disappeared. I started to enjoy myself and the road conditions didn't bother me in the least. I bet you experienced something similar.
I'd like to think so (better rider) but I'm not sure. Its definitely not people getting used to seeing me, I ride at all different times and a good portion of my most common training rides are on a 3 lane highway. Thats where I got 99% of my honks which got me to make this observation. I always stayed as far right as possible, I've never had control problems where I was jumping in and out of the lane or making sudden moves. Maybe they are honking and I dont hear it anymore LOL!
Rogue Leader is offline  
Old 11-12-08, 11:52 PM
  #11  
Szczuldo
What is this demonry?!
 
Szczuldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Central IL
Posts: 1,097

Bikes: KHS Aero Comp.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I'd like to think so (better rider) but I'm not sure. Its definitely not people getting used to seeing me, I ride at all different times and a good portion of my most common training rides are on a 3 lane highway. Thats where I got 99% of my honks which got me to make this observation. I always stayed as far right as possible, I've never had control problems where I was jumping in and out of the lane or making sudden moves. Maybe they are honking and I dont hear it anymore LOL!
a honk is one of those things you always remember, especially if the person yells something or attempts to yell at you. It doesn't happen to me very often so all the ones I do have are quite memorable. So probably people aren't honking as much.

On the note of gas, I love that gas is down under 2$. I hardly ever drive but with the winter coming and lack of a dedicated commuter I'll probably find myself driving a lot more. I'll be out on the road as long as it is not wet or icy though. Cold temps don't bother me, just the being wet part...
Szczuldo is offline  
Old 11-13-08, 12:33 AM
  #12  
JeffB502
Arrogant Safety Nanny
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Posts: 554

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.2 FX, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah gas was over $4.60 here and now it's down to $2.49, but I just talked to a fellow bike commuter at the post office today...I walked my bike in to pick up a package and he was working at the window. He commented on my nice bike and how he commutes and it's a great way to get around. I've also noticed a seemingly gradual decrease in honking/yelling since I started riding as an adult in April of 2007 but I don't know whether it's an increase in my skill/assertiveness, an increase in the number of motorists that also ride bikes, the word "green" being increasingly used, or a combination of the listed factors and others not listed...
JeffB502 is offline  
Old 11-13-08, 09:49 AM
  #13  
127.0.0.1
50000 Guatts of power
 
127.0.0.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what planet you are on but gas here is 2.29 a gallon. what high gas price ?
127.0.0.1 is offline  
Old 11-13-08, 09:56 AM
  #14  
2new2this
Head Chief
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: kettering ohio
Posts: 332

Bikes: Motobecane Messenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spock View Post
More cyclists on the road does not only make it safer for us, it is safer for everyone else who is on the road. When drivers slowly learn how to pay attention to cyclists, they are going to, as a result, pay more attention to everything else. Speed will decrease as well as gas consumption and who knows what else. So the more we ride, the better this world is going to get. The safety is in numbers(wow, I just thought of that)
Lower speed doesn't decrease gas consumption of a vehicle. For instance, your mpg at 45 is higher than your mpg at 25. I agree that it is better when people go slower and pay attention, but it can also use more gas if not enough people are riding to compensate. I don't care how much they use though, because I am not dependent on it any more, per se. I still use it regularly, but if I woke up tomorrow and it was all gone, it wouldn't bother me on a personal level. I could still get from point A to point B. My food though, thats another story.
2new2this is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Tentacle Master
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
9
03-19-10 06:09 AM
Dagenhart
Classic & Vintage
17
12-30-09 06:28 AM
Nierdal
Hybrid Bicycles
19
08-26-09 08:49 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.